ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #16
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,244
My 2008 990S has dirty throttle bodies as well. I keep the valves in spec but they still acquire some varnish (50,000+ miles on the odometer). I think it's normal for these bikes. Possibly due to crank case venting some oil into the airbox?? Not sure, but that would be my guess. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about, check the valves and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
My 2010R has oil residue on rear throttle body as well and valves in spec.Does not seem to burn oil between changes,I just cleaned it up and re-installed. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #17
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
You can get an idea about it in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841503

But IMO first check for vac leaks going on anywere near that throttle body (ports on the intake, rubber boots, TB proper seating), then I'd check the valve clearances (you are into that anyways, aren't you?) And if everything seems to be fine check the TB sync.

If I recall correctly the rear flow sensor*? (is that what it's called?) is also hooked up to that intake (at the vac port), so it can measure intake air flow or whatever - so any leak in this system could also lead to misfiring/backfiring into the TB. So check the connecting hose for any cracks. Don't know how to check though whether the sensor is working correctly - maybe swap it with the front sensor, and see if the problem shifts to the front cylinder?

*Edit: Looked it up in the fische: 61041085100 PRESSURE SENSOR.

I belive the guys who adjust the TB with TuneECU, rely on the values of these sensors, so if you also have a plugin type flow meter / other syncing tool, you can quite rule out if the problem lays somewhere in here. Also to get the job done properly, if you are really willing to dig into the deep, finding out what's going on, adjusting the sync and the TPS, you'd probably need TuneECU (and lots of free time:)). That said, it can be anything different, like the TB not providing enough fuel/shutting off all the fuel on closed throttle because of a failing TPS, or misinformation from one of the sensors (o2, pressure).. I believe it's quite hard to diagnose, so if the simple things don't solve the problem, maybe living with it is easier and cheaper than fixing it trial-by-error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
My 2008 990S has dirty throttle bodies as well. I keep the valves in spec but they still acquire some varnish (50,000+ miles on the odometer). I think it's normal for these bikes. Possibly due to crank case venting some oil into the airbox?? Not sure, but that would be my guess. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about, check the valves and go from there.
It will be interesting the next time I have the filter off, I recently installed the Rottweiler intake and filter and re routed the crankcase vent hose outside the intake with its own little K&N filter. It should mean my throttle bodies will no longer have oil varnish on them. Maybe? :-)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #18
injun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Oil

Comes from acceleration .
It;s like standing in the rain with a strainer hoping for a bucket of water
injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #19
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
The OP says the dirty residues are on the rear TB, the front one is clean, so it seems logical that the bretahing pipe from crankcase cannot be the cause of it as it points directly into the front TB...

Same boat here, a friends 990 is in the same condition, valves are in spec.

If it has residue, it must be a mix of things (fuel + carbon/oil...). Through the TB's things go only one way, fuel and air travel into the intake and combustion chamber.

These two do not produce residue, unless ver bad fuel and/or damaged airfilter, gasoline is used also to clean so its ruled out.

Only way to have it gunky is if anything comes up from the engine valves, and there can be exhaust fumes, unburnt gas, oil traces and carbon buildup.

For this to come up, either tight valves, bad firing/missfiring.. random injector malfunction can have it injecting at wrong times, or weak fuelflow that will have air/fuel mix not be burned due to lean condition...

I'm puzzled..

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #20
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
My valves aren't as bad as I figured they would be but I will be buying shims .

TB residue .... I'm Kinda curious if it is from the crank case vent .
ONLY because I for one have had issues with high oil level .
So far every oil I have used has expanded on me to an over full condition when hot . Even with Motul .
I will try to use Motorex this season since I now am able to buy it . New dealer near me . I would like to find an oil I could pick up on the road tho .

With the numbers that mention it here I'm not real concerned I'll just clean them (TB) during major service .
It is strange to me that only my rear TB is dirty

two trackin fool screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 10:11 PM
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #21
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 528
More oil than max can do this

If he's used more oil than he should it is possible to get even a splatter of oil (that could reach the rear TB) from the crankcase breather. I suppose you saw it on the secondaries?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #22
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Well I cant speak for anyone other than me but this is what I found on tear down ....

Not real concerned at this point . I'll just clean her up and see what I find at next check . Rear TB coated top to bottom both plates .
Old 01-17-2014, 02:05 AM   #23
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
It will be interesting the next time I have the filter off, I recently installed the Rottweiler intake and filter and re routed the crankcase vent hose outside the intake with its own little K&N filter. It should mean my throttle bodies will no longer have oil varnish on them. Maybe? :-)
It will definitely take the breather out of the issue !
Old 09-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #24
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,120
Anyone have an update? More curious then anything else. I have my airbox off to do the valves at almost 10K. Never been done yet. The rear throttle body is like the others here...yucky oil residue. The air filter was the same clean/dirt evenly. The top of the rear throttle body was oily, bottom not too bad. Below the throttle body into the intake tract is was dirty in the rear. Front clean. Odd....

DAVE
Old 09-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #25
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

No update sad to say. I'm at 25000 now. All is well except she is still using oil seems to be mostly super slab trips . It is showing up as small black stains at the muffler tips. I fear I didn't do proper brake in . Only other option is I bought a new 2010 in November of 2012 .....
When I get a chance I'll pull the filter to see what the TB's look like but I'm sure they will be the same . I asked my local dealer about it and the mechanic had no clue BUT they haven't had KTM very long and my cluster warranty was the first he used the ktm scanner/computer software .
Old 09-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #26
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oh I did finally figure out the oil full mark . With mine half way up the check zone cold = full when hot . I can't believe the oil expands that much but there is no froth or bibles that I have seen .
Old 09-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #27
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
This seems to be another one of those delicious ktm mysteries...

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #28
micky1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
just done a rottweiler instal on my 09 990 and the rear TB is dirtier then the front! 7,000 miles, no issues so i guess its a KTM thing. will keep an eye on it now the rot is on, even flow to both TB's now?

Also why is the map showing less fuel on the rear cylinder?
micky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #29
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
My throttle seems to have mellowed OR I am just use to it
Your fuel filters are likely dirty.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:48 AM   #30
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

I was going to pull the tank apart and possibly the water pump this off season ....

Thanks I really didn't think about that yet