ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #76
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
I wouldn't mind that actually. A lot of the forums I used to freqiuent, posts on topics which were really important (someone asking for help or someone else taking a lot of time writing long, detailed, and excellent posts about how-to something-or-other) would get thread-jacked by retards fucking around. You'd have to read through 2 pages of utter dribble in between the decent posts. Several Aussie forums I know of suffered this fate, and all the competent riders I know through 'the community' all quit those sites because the signal-to-noise ratio got out of control.

I think your post has probably convinced me KTM Talk might be the right site for me to use as a resource for my RFS (06 525 EXC)
probably LOL. The RFS forum at KTMTalk is without doubt the best resource for these bikes. Seriously, what were the alternatives you were considering? Only downside is CAFlash.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #77
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by plcguy View Post
To answer the original question, Yes! There will be others who believe the site is too difficult, useless, etc. I visit it often and spend some time here as well. For me, KTMTalk has been wonderful for resolving bike setup, issues, etc. I have noticed a higher level of decency among the KTMTalk visitors as well. I must admit, have seen way more bad language and personal attacks on ADVRider than KTMTalk. Would be nice if people would show each other a little respect and leave the bad language and attacks out of their posts...

My two cents worth
Ahigher barrier to entry is not a bad thing. It's a great way of ensuring quality. The best sites I'm a member of are paid ones, with a high barrier to entry. The people on thos sites pay money to have a forum they can have high quality discussion. And every response generally is worth the price of entry.

But this is highly subjective on my part - I want high quality information on topics being discussed, and I want those topics to stay on-topic. I don't really care for 'shooting the shit' on those forums. I shoot the shit with my mates at the pub.

But there are a lot of people who want forums they can joke around on and have flame wars and behave poorly. And I agree with your point about respect, bad language, and personal attacks.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #78
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
probably LOL. The RFS forum at KTMTalk is without doubt the best resource for these bikes. Seriously, what were the alternatives you were considering? Only downside is CAFlash.
Well, I was in the process of looking, really. I will probably pick up the 525 EXC this weekend, if all goes well. My first stop was going to be here, and then ThumperTalk as google references that site a lot. Every time I search google for stuff on the bike, Thumpertalk comes up. I didn't even know KTM Talk existed, except for posts referencing it on here and Thumper Talk.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #79
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Only downside is CAFlash.
oh, i think there are a few others you better be careful of. awesome collection of knowledge, problem is a few who seem to think it's their own personal fiefdom. if you challenge their thoughts, they just bash on you and try to discredit you because "they know better than you" and because of their "status" they usually win. not always, but usually. one in particular tried it with me and got exactly what he deserved. actually,, he deserves a LOT worse but karma is a bitch and i have no doubt it will all come around.

although some don't like pat (admin) he has ALWAYS been a stand-up guy in my book. earned my loyalty without question. don't always agree with him, but hey, it's his "house." you don't like it, go somewhere else.

just my $.02,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #80
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Yo GumbyD! See my sig! Your LC4 is still going strong so KTMTalk must have taught you a thing or two!

Seriously, the folks behind KTMTalk are the guys and gals on whose shoulders we stand. Keep reading...

The hardcore offroad crowd (MX, enduro) is how KTM got to where they are as a company over the years so they could offer a 950/990/1190 etc.

Chip Munn himself is the guy who makes the smaller bike thing happen and works closely with KTM USA. How vital are young riders to the health of the sport and motorcycling? Extremely. I have nothing but respect for him, AND the discount that is baked into the membership which pays for itself the first order you make at munnracing.com

To throw the whole forum under the bus is really juvenile and lacks any evidence of knowledge of the people behind the scenes.

If someone new to ADVrider hit this thread as their first read, what would they say about this forum? YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
I am "Lonewolf'" from KTMtalk
I started there in about 2002 as "gumbydave", the Admin let me change my sucky username at about 4500 posts
I have close to 10,000 useful and helpful posts there
There is no way I can say anything bad about ktmtalk
Over the years I have gained many good riding buddies and a lot of technical knowledge from there
actually it is my primary social site too LoL
lots of bros there
I love those guys
met the website owner too and he is cool
he banned me a few times but always forgave me and let me come back and for that im grateful
KTMTALK rocks
if you dont like it, too bad, maybe we dont need you there
if you dont like KTMTALK you can kiss my ass (cant say that word there)

so yeah, ADV rider is great
but so is ktok

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
2007 KTM Adv 990S Dakar 7k miles FOR SALE
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #81
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
I didn't even know KTM Talk existed, except for posts referencing it on here and Thumper Talk.
ktmtalk isn't publicly indexable (or at least wasn't before the recent software upgrade) so google can't search it. Hence you won't get any hits for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
oh, i think there are a few others you better be careful of.
Never really had any negative interactions there (well except with a couple nutcases who were whining about being silenced here on adv by "liberal mods" ) but I realize it's got a different style so adjust accordingly. CAFlash drives me absolutely nuts, he has to comment on every single post even when he has nothing useful to add, like if he doesn't comment he'll somehow fall in status compared to the other builders .... plus his endless namedropping

Quote:
although some don't like pat (admin) he has ALWAYS been a stand-up guy in my book. earned my loyalty without question. don't always agree with him, but hey, it's his "house." you don't like it, go somewhere else.
Agree 100%

crazybrit screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 04:25 PM
Old 01-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #82
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,759
CAflash can be overly-enthusiastic, but he's always treated me very, very well.

Dave Hopkins as well.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #83
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
.... plus his endless namedropping
yup. love the way he types in his "history" at the end of every post.

i have a buddy that got fucked by him hard. i told him he needed to add to his own signature line;

#47 - 570 EXC w/ mismatched head, bad bearings, mismatched piston, blown head gasket (was told to add bars leak ) and parts from 4 diff used ebay engines, and 3 different attempts to get it right. cost....several $$$$$. thanks caflash.

the rest i don't have too much experience with other than them jumping to the defense of the guy that fucked me, without a clue what they were talking about. that stopped as soon as Pat posted up several other complaints saying the exact same thing. also, once they saw the ridiculous invoice he sent me once i finally did get my engine back, in pieces, completely fucked up, didn't help either. $10,000 to build an LC4 engine? are you fucking high?

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)

laramie LC4 screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 05:10 PM
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #84
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
yup. love the way he types in his "history" at the end of every post.
That is funny indeed but I was more referring to when he's shot himself in the foot and he's trying to dig himself out. Often he'll start name-dropping innocent third parties to bolster his position. I love it when they show up, say he's talking crap and asking him to stop using their names.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #85
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
KTM Talk is the ADVrider of motocross. How the F can you dislike that forum? Ever had a look in the 2 stroke thread? It's like the KTM 2 stroke bible!
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #86
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,315
Quote:
ha -ha. He rebuild engine on my old 450 and he did a great job. But I dont spend much time reading "war" threads on that site.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #87
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Yo GumbyD! See my sig! Your LC4 is still going strong so KTMTalk must have taught you a thing or two!

Seriously, the folks behind KTMTalk are the guys and gals on whose shoulders we stand. Keep reading...

The hardcore offroad crowd (MX, enduro) is how KTM got to where they are as a company over the years so they could offer a 950/990/1190 etc.

Chip Munn himself is the guy who makes the smaller bike thing happen and works closely with KTM USA. How vital are young riders to the health of the sport and motorcycling? Extremely. I have nothing but respect for him, AND the discount that is baked into the membership which pays for itself the first order you make at munnracing.com

To throw the whole forum under the bus is really juvenile and lacks any evidence of knowledge of the people behind the scenes.

If someone new to ADVrider hit this thread as their first read, what would they say about this forum? YMMV
LOL !!!
Hey long time !!
Great to hear from you and that the LC4 is still running
I had to split the cases on that motor at 4,000 miles, (the factory forgot to loctite and stake a critical screw)
I think I am the BEST mechanic on KTMTALK, although I am not a "pro"
I should really think about it as a retirement business
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #88
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
CAflash can be overly-enthusiastic, but he's always treated me very, very well.

Dave Hopkins as well.
Dave is a fine machinest / mechanic and an all around good guy to boot. Don't know CAflash.

KTM Talk is definitely a prime resource for the smaller bikes. They pretty much concede the OC is the place to go for the V-twins.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #89
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Whatever happened to Creeper?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #90
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
I enjoy both sites and use them about equally.

I don't get the difficulties in signing up for KTM Talk. As to the search, I have good luck with searches over there-even without the Google capability. When the bike categories are narrowed down (RFS, 2 strokes, RC4, etc.) it is a lot easier to focus and find info on your bike.

The KTMTALK classifieds are head and shoulders above the ADVRider Flea Mart, which ranks right there with Craigs list--without the ability to search by location.

Knot headed inmates, overzealous moderators, asleep at the wheel moderators and greedy vendors exist on both sites--call it even.

General "adventure riding" info, ride reports and trip planning--ADVRider wins hands down!

Don't waste your time looking for KTM singles info on ADVRider or looking for KTM Twin info on KTMTalk.