ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #61
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto View Post
Wow, some funny stuff. I don't mean JCR/Honda moves, I mean the posts on here.

The writing for JCR leaving Baja has been on the wall for years.
They're not down to 1 rider, not even just 2, and working on more.
What else do they need to prove in Baja, until maybe a new bike is released?
An already expensive 3 race series now a 6 race series, and your budget is already too small.
Riders weren't just kicked to the curb from JCR.

Other makes have dominated Baja and left. Baja 500's & 1000's have still happened and been exciting.
HEY NOW! We've got a great mob mentality going here and you are trying to spoil all the fun!

Pretty much JCR's fault for holding back all the good information, this is the interwebs after all, and we have the right to bash and speculate!
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #62
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
Well, just the center of sales for offroad...

I apologize if I implied SoCal is the center of the Universe. It's not. But I can see how it might look that way this time of year. It's just the biggest sales area for offroad bikes so I am assuming it gets the most attention from manufacturers, like textbooks in Texas. And it is a bit in a world of its own because the SoCal season is winter which is generally opposite the rest of the country. Plus, because trees are illegal here the speeds are much faster. When I lived in NorCal I noticed that alot of guys rode their bikes to the place where they rode offroad.

Rallys are great fun and I know that firsthand. My point, again, is that Rallys are more like a game than like racing. There; that ought to set off the two Scotts on here selling their own rally's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I know ca is the center of the universe but there are other states and ALOT of other racers in the country and world. Socal can have score the rest of us are happy to go rally racing. I'm not talking about rally moto which is where you find Subaru's. :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #63
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,327
That's a very innocent opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Rallys are more like a game than like racing.
Personally I find motorcycle rallys to be more sophisticated then motocross or Supercross. And of course the Score races are a bit of their own design.

Look, I'm not a racer. I don't aspire to be one. And I certainly don't want to judge or offend anyone involved in any form of motorcycle racing.

I am merely a distant spectator. But for my personal tastes I enjoy viewing and following motorcycle rallys. I own and ride several rally style bikes, which I've done offroad for pleasure for over twenty years. I support the motorcycle industry from a consumer point of view and the minute an ambitious rally race promotor realizes the power of octo heli cams combined with Go Pros and the internet, that will have a huge stake in the direction of motorcycle sales, publicity and profitability. Motorcycle Rally racing isn't something that "might" become the next wave of popularity in the two wheeled industry... It's simply a matter of when, not if.

And oddly enough, whoever creates the best visual medium for distant spectators to follow it, get behind it and become fanatical about it... that entity will capitalize handsomely for it.

You want to know what makes the Dakar Rally so popular? It's a multi dimensional format. It's authentically glorified. And it's got future-thinking marketeers with an amazing visual capture and distribution plan. ( In my opinion what's missing with the Score races.)

So any ambitious rally promoters...simply take that plan and run with it guys.
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #64
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
octo heli cams . . . So any ambitious rally promoters...simply take that plan and run with it guys.
We're looking for a rally enthusiast volunteer to do just that!
__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #65
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 4,041
Combined motorcycle sales in the USA is something like 3% of total motorcycle sales for Honda. Off road bike sales in the USA is a fairly small portion of total USA sales. They make their money selling little bikes in places like India and Asia.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #66
skwidd
where does this lead?
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pissing in your Kampfire
Oddometer: 17,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
Wow! Joining GNCC? I have followed it for years and IMO the series has declined way off......... From what i have seen pro riders can't get a ride, only factory team is KTM(maybe two teams that arent run out of a van) and there are really only a handful of riders that contend for the podium. Not that i don't want it to grow and take a complete 180 and would love to see Honda have more of a presence in off road...

Maybe this will help turn it around.

just my opinion.

Have a look at the number of entries for GNCC compared to just about any other series in the U.S.
__________________
http://www.jimmyalbertson.com

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #67
trailrider383
867-5309
 
trailrider383's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: NP, ID
Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Combined motorcycle sales in the USA is something like 3% of total motorcycle sales for Honda. Off road bike sales in the USA is a fairly small portion of total USA sales. They make their money selling little bikes in places like India and Asia.
Wow, North Americans suck!

http://world.honda.com/news/2013/c13...ult/index.html


Motorcycles >
Unit (thousands)
2011
2012
Jan.-Dec.
Result
Jan.-Dec.
Result
% Change
Global Sales16,30115,46495%
Japan219221101%
Overseas16,08115,24295%
North America211264125%
South America1,924*1,65286%
Europe, CIS, the Middle & Near East and Africa275335122%
Asia and Oceania12,36411,70495%
China1,3061,28698%
Global Production16,75915,91295%
Japan19018497%
Overseas16,56915,72895%
__________________
DO WHAT YOU LIKE - LIKE WHAT YOU DO
Explain to me again why enjoying life when I retire is more important than enjoying life now?
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #68
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer
 
xr400r's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: riding usa
Oddometer: 3,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Combined motorcycle sales in the USA is something like 3% of total motorcycle sales for Honda. Off road bike sales in the USA is a fairly small portion of total USA sales. They make their money selling little bikes in places like India and Asia.
Well, that explains why they don't do much updating of their bikes....

Hard to beleive they even bother with a gold wing
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #69
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer
 
xr400r's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: riding usa
Oddometer: 3,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Have a look at the number of entries for GNCC compared to just about any other series in the U.S.
I get that but not many pro's racing at the top was my point. either way i think its great for the sport
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #70
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
I see that too.

I see DesertSurfer's point and agree.

On to my opinion about Breauxman's latest BS.
I think this has been thoroughly addressed by Dean Potts on Facebook when he dressed down Breauxman for one of his many insipid serf-serving posts about how stupid North Americans are related to Europeans. Shocker I know that a wannabe rally owner would be dissing Score and every other race here in the USA while promoting his own cute rally product and trying to win sponsorship. Just shocking.

But as Dean said, Dakar is really a French reality TV show that is all commercial product full of politics for like four hours a night. It's a very hard event but it ain't the 1000. I think Dean said he worked with KTM when Cyril Dupres came over to the 1000 and Dupres wondered why the 1000 race course had so many bumps.

In any case, when it comes to which race is tougher and I have the option of taking the word of a guy like Breauxman who once rode in a media van during Dakar and has a $hitty reputation, or guys like Tim Morton and Dean Potts who are at the core of offroad racing and extremely well respected, I reckon I'll take the word of real racers who've earned their considerable integrity instead of wannabes and a guy who uses the death of a famous racer for his own personal gain...


Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Personally I find motorcycle rallys to be more sophisticated then motocross or Supercross. And of course the Score races are a bit of their own design.

Look, I'm not a racer. I don't aspire to be one. And I certainly don't want to judge or offend anyone involved in any form of motorcycle racing.

I am merely a distant spectator. But for my personal tastes I enjoy viewing and following motorcycle rallys. I own and ride several rally style bikes, which I've done offroad for pleasure for over twenty years. I support the motorcycle industry from a consumer point of view and the minute an ambitious rally race promotor realizes the power of octo heli cams combined with Go Pros and the internet, that will have a huge stake in the direction of motorcycle sales, publicity and profitability. Motorcycle Rally racing isn't something that "might" become the next wave of popularity in the two wheeled industry... It's simply a matter of when, not if.

And oddly enough, whoever creates the best visual medium for distant spectators to follow it, get behind it and become fanatical about it... that entity will capitalize handsomely for it.

You want to know what makes the Dakar Rally so popular? It's a multi dimensional format. It's authentically glorified. And it's got future-thinking marketeers with an amazing visual capture and distribution plan. ( In my opinion what's missing with the Score races.)

So any ambitious rally promoters...simply take that plan and run with it guys.

bump screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 12:04 PM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #71
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
B1KSOLO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Longmont Colorado
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think this has been thoroughly addressed by Dean Potts on Facebook when he dressed down Breauxman for one of his many insipid serf-serving posts about how stupid North Americans are related to Europeans. Shocker I know that a wannabe rally owner would be dissing Score and every other race here in the USA while promoting his own cute rally product and trying to win sponsorship. Just shocking.

But as Dean said, Dakar is really a French reality TV show that is all commercial product full of politics for like four hours a night. It's a very hard event but it ain't the 1000. I think Dean said he worked with KTM when Cyril Dupres came over to the 1000 and Dupres wondered why the 1000 race course had so many bumps.

In any case, when it comes to which race is tougher and I have the option of taking the word of a guy like Breauxman who once rode in a media van during Dakar and has a $hitty reputation, or guys like Tim Morton and Dean Potts who are at the core of offroad racing and extremely well respected, I reckon I'll take the word of real racers who've earned their considerable integrity instead of wannabes and a guy who uses the death of a famous racer for his own personal gain...
Holy smack down
lets see were this goes
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #72
frog
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Combined motorcycle sales in the USA is something like 3% of total motorcycle sales for Honda. Off road bike sales in the USA is a fairly small portion of total USA sales. They make their money selling little bikes in places like India and Asia.
And now that Honda pulled out of Baja it will go down to 1.5% in the US. 1.49999999% of those will be bought by the hard core So Cal Score racers. (nobody get bent out of shape it's a joke)
__________________
Thank you MX1WEST, Highway Dirt Bikes Lindsay Machine, Smart Performance, SPS for the Support
257x Solo Baja 1000
If I had not some strength of will I would make a first class drunkard--Shackleton
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #73
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Del Mar CA
Oddometer: 334
Wow! You gotta be kidding me...North America is HONDA's smallest export market?
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #74
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!
 
mrxinpa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: NEPA Right at Base of Blue Mountain Ski Area .5 mi
Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Breauxman View Post
Wow! You gotta be kidding me...North America is HONDA's smallest export market?

Really you cant be suprised by this.... Honda Dumped the US Market Long Ago. they gave up on us when they quit importing the African Twin and Transalps and only bothered to give us what was selling at that time! Now the market is starting to open for Rally Style bikes and Honda will jump back on the band wagon.. Look at the NX700 they are tying to tap into the "Adventure" market that tags right along with Rally!

JCR and Honda need to get out there and spread RED! Thats the only way sales of Honda machines are ever going to get ahead of the competition. Here on the East Coast go to any Enduro or Hare Scramble. KTM's have taken over the marketplace. If Honda continues to build a CRF450R for"Off Road Racing" market or the GNCC circuit or even the Rally /Adventure Market it will enevitably be something that will sell in todays US Market.. But how may units will they sell..thats the Ultimate Question? Will it be enough for Honda to want to continue supplying the US or will it be just like the Late 80's when they introduced Bikes and didnt sell well and then pulled the plug on the US sales!!!
__________________
02 DL1000
03 KTM 450exc
95 WR250(2smoke)
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #75
Johnnymoto
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 75
KTM Sucks.
Johnnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014