ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I prefer riding my bike to working on it. My KLR never missed a beat on a 26000 km trip, not once. Again, replacing a set of these filters is not a job for anyone that's not a mechanic. I am a retired Air Traffic Controller, not a mechanic. Think of it this way, why buy a bike that is going to give you a ton of trouble when you want to ride overland? It's fine if you don't ride far from home, but if it takes fours days to get these filters to San Antonio, how long would it take to get them in Arica, Chile, were i spent a wonderful couple of days riding my trouble free KLR last year. If this bike will clog up so badly it won't run on premium fuel in the USA, why would anyone take it overland where you buy gas in pop bottles at the side of the road in many instances, just as i did last year, in Eastern Colombia nd Southern Peru, trouble free, on my KLR.

Kedgi
If you don't trust it, time to offload it and move on.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 567
Bummer it didn't work out this trip. After looking at your trip thread and seeing all the homes on stilts and knowing the fuel tanks are underground I can see potential fuel problems as well.

Sometimes simple is better but unfortunately bikes seem to be getting more complicated. Maybe a KLR is in your future again but I for one could not go back.

In all other areas that 990 is a great bike, have you thought about a work around so that the filters are modified in a way to make them more accessible and using a filtering funnel like this one?

http://www.maesco.com/products/racor.../r_funnel.html

Yamaha TDR250

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Old 01-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #18
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
I've just bought a used 2011 990. It has been well taken care of. After reading several threads, I wonder if I should keep my 2004 950 with 42k on it. I've had no problems with it and I can work on it without a computer. By the way, I've never had a problem with my KLRs either.

My KTM has 30,000k on it. I would describe it as an absolutely unreliable money pit.

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Bummer that you had an issue and you are so upset. I have 35K miles on my bike and for the most part it has been trouble free. I have put plenty of Mexican gas through the bike.

It did leave me stranded in Mexico at one point and I had to get the bike trailered back to the US dealer which was a PITA. My issue turned out to be a bad fuel pump at 20K miles.

I would bet that you can push through this with some persistence.

DD
2014 KTM 500EXC

dirtdiver screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 12:14 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #20
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Bummer it didn't work out this trip. After looking at your trip thread and seeing all the homes on stilts and knowing the fuel tanks are underground I can see potential fuel problems as well.

Sometimes simple is better but unfortunately bikes seem to be getting more complicated. Maybe a KLR is in your future again but I for one could not go back.

In all other areas that 990 is a great bike, have you thought about a work around so that the filters are modified in a way to make them more accessible and using a filtering funnel like this one?

I love riding the KTM and do not dispute the fact that it is a wonderful bike to ride. My point is, if you intend to ride internationally or to remote areas like Labrador, the KLR is a far better choice.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post

I look at that as a marginal solution for extremely bad engineering. here is where I bought gas in Colombia last year, would you want to count on a auxiliary filter to keep a bike that won't run on Sunoco 93 going? especially if it takes 4 days, or more, I haven't got them yet, to get filters in Texas if your bike fails?

This picture is courtesy of my friend Billy

Gas Station in Colombia

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #22
Bullskin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Fuel filter kit prices

A new fuel filter kit with everything you need is $160 from CJ Designs and it is not difficult to install. You only have to remove the left tank and drop the pump assembly out. My 2010 990 has 36000 miles of trouble free fuel filtering. I carry an extra filter kit with me on trips in case I run into bad gas. CJ has also recently developed new billet filler caps with drop in prefilters that are really nice if you know you will be running into bad gas.

http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ...-CFPRK-990.htm
Old 01-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #23
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
If you don't trust it, time to offload it and move on.

At a staggering inexcusable cost. Not to mention the loss of a trip I had been planning for months. Shame on KTM

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #24
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
I prefer riding my bike to working on it. My KLR never missed a beat on a 26000 km trip, not once. Again, replacing a set of these filters is not a job for anyone that's not a mechanic. I am a retired Air Traffic Controller, not a mechanic. Think of it this way, why buy a bike that is going to give you a ton of trouble when you want to ride overland? It's fine if you don't ride far from home, but if it takes fours days to get these filters to San Antonio, how long would it take to get them in Arica, Chile, were i spent a wonderful couple of days riding my trouble free KLR last year. If this bike will clog up so badly it won't run on premium fuel in the USA, why would anyone take it overland where you buy gas in pop bottles at the side of the road in many instances, just as i did last year, in Eastern Colombia nd Southern Peru, trouble free, on my KLR.

Kedgi
Funny I am also an ex ATC. lost my job with the strike.
This is basic stuff not really needing to be a mechanic, just understanding your machine and basic engine theory. Any bike is going to fall victim to bad fuel. I would suggest to learn the basics any bike you own and not be a slave to some shop. Pulling the tanks or looking for fuel is is a pretty easy task.
Ride a klr and be bored to death or ride a 990 with a smile, I guess that's what makes the world go around, different strokes for different folks.
I wish you well.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullskin View Post
A new fuel filter kit with everything you need is $160 from CJ Designs and it is not difficult to install. You only have to remove the left tank and drop the pump assembly out. My 2010 990 has 36000 miles of trouble free fuel filtering. I carry an extra filter kit with me on trips in case I run into bad gas. CJ has also recently developed new billet filler caps with drop in prefilters that are really nice if you know you will be running into bad gas.

http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ...-CFPRK-990.htm
Proof positive that KTM has a very poorly designed filtering system. The KTM 990 should be subject to recall. A bike that is marketed as an overland bike and is used as such cannot help but run into bad gas. KTM is not telling customers of this flaw and it has personally cost me thousands.

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #26
Kedgi OP
Banned

Fuel Filtering issues

I appreciate the help and the aftermarket filter systems you guys have pointed out. My intention is to warn riders looking for an overland bike that the KTM 990 is not a good choice because it has fuel filtering issues.

I don't care if KTM continues to ignore my complaints, in the grand scheme of things I will get over losing my trip to Mexico thanks to KTM's poor engineering and misleading marketing. I will think of them next Winter on my new BMW or KLR. My new KTM will be history. What a piece of crap.

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #27
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Proof positive that KTM has a very poorly designed filtering system. The KTM 990 should be subject to recall. A bike that is marketed as an overland bike and is used as such cannot help but run into bad gas. KTM is not telling customers of this flaw and it has personally cost me thousands.

Kedgi
I already asked, but again, how do you know it's the filters since the mechanics you've been dealing with have repeatedly told you the bike is fixed??
From the symptoms, it kind of sounds like a pinched vent tube or possibly a plugged charcoal canister if it still has it.

And if you're thinking of going BMW...well, I'm...ever hear the phrase "from the fry pan into the fire"? Think carefully about that move, especially as you need to rely on mechanics for your maintenance. Trust me.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 01-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #28
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
The dealer in Katy, when they had the bike apart did not check the fuel filters
Yeah..... all100 % KTM's design fault!

Couldn't be a lack of simple maintenance or dirty fuel or such
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,670

This thread, started in the middle of the winter, is going to go places, fast. And, rightfully so.

If you can't check or change a motorcycle's fuel filter- you are correct - you absolutely should not take it to Mexico.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #30
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
What if you put the same bad gas in your new KLR? It seems your problems started with putting really bad gas in,and then blaming KTM for that.
And like has been said,if you have 0 knowledge of working on bikes,then maybe the bus system in Baja can get you around,lots use it.