ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #31
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Funny I am also an ex ATC. lost my job with the strike.
This is basic stuff not really needing to be a mechanic, just understanding your machine and basic engine theory. Any bike is going to fall victim to bad fuel. I would suggest to learn the basics any bike you own and not be a slave to some shop. Pulling the tanks or looking for fuel is is a pretty easy task.
Ride a klr and be bored to death or ride a 990 with a smile, I guess that's what makes the world go around, different strokes for different folks.
I wish you well.

I met some of you Natca guys while I was at Catca conventions. What a shame that whole fiasco was. I was Gander Oceanic that day and we ran out of places to put aircraft on the ground.

I agree with knowing basic repairs and maintenance. This is beyond that scope in my humble opinion. I can change a tire roadside in minutes. I am not a complete dunce when it comes to mechanics but i am not a mechanic. This bike is still under warranty. My intention was to have it serviced properly by qualified mechanics. I was depending on it to take me to Mexico and back safely. In spite of paying for top notch mechanics or at least paying rates commanded by top notch mechanics this bike has failed to the point it has ruined my trip. If you intend to ride overland, stay far far away from a KTM 990

I think the argument that you have to be a mechanic to own a KTM 990 is a sound one. They are that troublesome.

I don't mind paying for repairs, I have the money. I do however mind paying for repairs twice because of inattention to detail by well paid mechanics and I do not want a bike that when given top notch maintenance and service will still not run properly and has been so unreliable I have to abandon my plans. My plan by the way was to explore Mexico, not explore Mexico motorcycle maintenance facilities.

I loved what I saw of Mexico last year on my way to Argentina and I wanted to see more. The unreliability, caused by poor filter design, of this KTM 990 has made that impossible and I intend to warn others, who are not mechanics stay far, far away from this bike.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 11:49 AM
Kedgi is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #32
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I appreciate the help and the aftermarket filter systems you guys have pointed out. My intention is to warn riders looking for an overland bike that the KTM 990 is not a good choice because it has fuel filtering issues.

I don't care if KTM continues to ignore my complaints, in the grand scheme of things I will get over losing my trip to Mexico thanks to KTM's poor engineering and misleading marketing. I will think of them next Winter on my new BMW or KLR. My new KTM will be history. What a piece of crap.

Kedgi
I can almost hear you crying from here,more then a whole bunch of guys have used 990's for going around the world and all over the place. They can usually replace a filter.

Once you have a BMW apart on the side of the road,it will all become clearer.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #33
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western South Dakota
Oddometer: 894
fuel would be less of an issue in the KLR, simply run it out, drain the bowl and remove the petcock to clean/replace the filter.
On the other hand the KTM, while requiring more time/effort, should have been a similar fix. runt he tank out, change filters and be done with it. while more time consuming and costly I feel it is worth it for the performance of the 990 compared to the KLR, but what do I know I trade my dead reliable 990 for a new 1190? not to mention riding 3 different 300exc/xc-w's since '97 which I have yet to find an engineering flaw in (other than the '01 needing a #7 slide).
sorry you had bad luck, hope thing work better with your KLR or BMW.

Black Hills screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 11:56 AM
Black Hills is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #34
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
fuel would be less of an issue in the KLR, simply run it out, drain the bowl and remove the petcock to clean/replace the filter.
On the other hand the KTM, while requiring more time/effort, should have been a similar fix. runt he tank out, change filters and be done with it. while more time consuming and costly I feel it is worth it for the performance of the 990 compared to the KLR, but what do I know I trade my dead reliable 990 for a new 1190?
What ever top notch mechanics this 990 was taken to didnt do the right thing,hard to blame KTM for that.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #35
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
What ever top notch mechanics this 990 was taken to didnt do the right thing,hard to blame KTM for that.

Read the whole of his story! 3 dealerships and contact with KTM Canada over weeks - and no joy except money out of his pocket! And NOT blame KTM? What more should Kedgi have done?

He did not intentioanlly put bad gas in at a regular station here in the US. There is contamination in the tanks, the other is a design that is not user friendly.
Tsotsie is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #36
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Hiding in the desert

I want to sum up by saying if you don't ride too far from help, or are a mechanic the KTM 990 is a great bike. If you enjoy working on bikes it is a great bike that will give you a ton of opportunity to do exactly that.

Having said that if you are not a mechanic even if you are a mechanic, but you are someone who wants to ride overland and fears being stranded on the side of the road in a remote country miles from town as it is getting dark, the KTM 990 is not the bike for you. It is too big a bike to drag a kilometer from the road in a barren desert in an attempt to hide and protect yourself when it lets you down and it will let you down.

I shudder to think of a failure in some of the places I was last year. If you ride enough in remote places you will end up in bad places where a breakdown could be catastrophic to your health and well being

Don't buy into KTM's claim that this bike is some sort of world crosser. It's not. It is anything but.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #37
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western South Dakota
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Read the whole of his story! 3 dealerships and contact with KTM Canada over weeks - and no joy except money out of his pocket! And NOT blame KTM? What more should Kedgi have done?

He did not intentioanlly put bad gas in at a regular station here in the US. There is contamination in the tanks, the other is a design that is not user friendly.

not very many mechanics left these days, only parts replacers. trouble shooting is a whole different game, very few that truly know anything about it.
Black Hills is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #38
bomose
Studly Adventurer
 
bomose's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hoover,Al
Oddometer: 949
That is why I do all the maintenance myself. I find it hard to trust dealer mechanics. By the way, I've never been bored on my KLR, or any bike I've owned.
__________________
I prefer a short life with width to a narrow one with length-Avicenna
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810149 Ouray Adv
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800723 Cortez & Moab
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #39
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 399
Finally a thread to keep the 990 guys busy while us 1190 guys have a run of the forum
__________________
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #40
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 16,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I want to sum up by saying if you don't ride too far from help, or are a mechanic the KTM 990 is a great bike. If you enjoy working on bikes it is a great bike that will give you a ton of opportunity to do exactly that.

Having said that if you are not a mechanic even if you are a mechanic, but you are someone who wants to ride overland and fears being stranded on the side of the road in a remote country miles from town as it is getting dark, the KTM 990 is not the bike for you. It is too big a bike to drag a kilometer from the road in a barren desert in an attempt to hide and protect yourself when it lets you down and it will let you down.

I shudder to think of a failure in some of the places I was last year. If you ride enough in remote places you will end up in bad places where a breakdown could be catastrophic to your health and well being

Don't buy into KTM's claim that this bike is some sort of world crosser. It's not. It is anything but.

Kedgi
Sorry mang. It is you who should not be riding a motorcycle across the world.
unaweep is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #41
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Yeah..... all100 % KTM's design fault!

Couldn't be a lack of simple maintenance or dirty fuel or such
I don't dispute the filter did it's job. The fact it takes four days to even get filters and about $1000 bucks to replace them is KTM's design fault. Was that not clear? Sorry. If there was a lack of simple maintenance, where did you see that? This bike has faithfully been maintained by KTM dealers since new six months ago at a cost of $4000. What do you think I may have overlooked?

I have taken off my orange colored glasses and i feel better for it.

No longer believe it is acceptable for a brand new bike to strand me four times. If you choose not to heed my warning and set out on an overland trip on a KTM 990. I want to read the ride report.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #42
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Sorry mang. It is you who should not be riding a motorcycle across the world.
I have done it quite successfully in 17 countries last year alone. I partially agree however, no one should be riding a KTM across the world. I would be most interested in any intercontinental ride reports you have published. can you post a link?

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #43
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lurkerlou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Kamloops BC
Oddometer: 191
I feel for you I really do but if you are paying for people to change your oil and complaining about the cost of service I think you purchased the wrong bike.

The target market for this bike honestly is people who like working on their own bikes and riding them.

Sorry but I'd venture to guess 90% of 990 owners change their own oil , do their own valves, and almost all wouldn't attempt a trip to Mexico without a spare fuel pump , filters and other spares in their arsenal of tools.

I do feel bad for you and I feel worse that you are stuck relying on others to fix your bike for you.

I love my 990 but I also love McGuyver and fixing my own stuff. I look at it as quality control....... I control the quality of the maintenance of my own bike.

I hope it all works out for you and you get home safe and sound.
Lurkerlou is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #44
Kedgi OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Shediac NB
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
That is why I do all the maintenance myself. I find it hard to trust dealer mechanics. By the way, I've never been bored on my KLR, or any bike I've owned.
I am a specialist in Air Traffic Control. There are specialists in Mechanics. I hope Air Traffic Controllers never get to the point that Mechanics don't trust them and begin trying ATC for themselves

And your right, I enjoyed my KLR, in my RR I describe why I sold it thanks to an unresponsive executive at Kawasaki Canada, he now works for KTM Canada. Irony at work.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #45
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 16,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I have done it quite successfully in 17 countries last year alone. I partially agree however, no one should be riding a KTM across the world.

Kedgi
Yeah, but you couldn't cross the United States on your 990.

How anyone can own a 990, belong to Advrider and have over 1000 posts and NOT know that the fuel filters on these bikes clog easily is beyond me.

If you want to read the ride reports of the many who have done what you claim to have done last year, ride reports is the first forum that shows up when you log on.

Have you thought about just driving your car across these countries? Might be safer for ya.

Ultimately, you are correct- you should not own a KTM- nor any fuel injected motorcycle. They have fuel filters and fuel filters- much like air filters- tend to clog.
unaweep is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014