Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #61
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
exactly why, affter 50 years of riding, I have a klr and a dl650 in the garage. We live and learn.
Well put and I'm learning and trying to teach others.

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #62
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Sounds like you like to complain about all your bikes.

I got butthurt over my Honda Shadow suffering a clutch failure at the very end of a 13,000 mile 48 State ride around the US, leaving me stranded on my last day about 250 miles from home. Stranded in the Arizona desert in late June. Bike had 26K on the odometer. I was every bit as cross as you are right now.

But in retrospect, I was given signals by the bike for thousands of miles before failure, that the clutch was going to fail.

It was a learning opportunity to change the clutch out myself and learn more about how it operates.

Sounds to me more like a fuel delivery problem than a filter problem, if it transcends more than 1 filter and 1 tank of gas. Wasn't there some sort of drama with 9x0 fuel pumps? Was that the 950 or 990? I don't own one. I liquidated the Shadow and now I'm on a Tiger 800XC.

Frankly, I wouldn't take the Tiger to South America, for the security reasons you've already pointed out, and because there's practically no support for the bikes down there. Pressed to do so, I'd take my old XR600 long before I'd take the Tiger.

$10K+ bikes just don't belong on third world tours. Gimme simple-stupid carburated fuel delivery with a simple-stupid inline fuel filter, a simple-stupid engine that can handle roadside oil changes with questionable Mexican/Ethiopian/Mongolian dino-oil rather than synthetic stuff that is probably "synthetic" synthetic oil if you know what I mean, and an air filter that won't have a conniption fit if all I can do to clean it is pour water over it to wash out half the dust and reinstall it.

In closing, I want to point out that your prior career has no bearing on your choice to ride a motorcycle. I'm a software developer... and an aspiring hack motorcycle mechanic. Dr. McCoy from Star Trek was always saying "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor... not a [insert blank here]." He's wrong and short-sighted. I take the Heinlein approach to skillsets.

He would have put "maintain a motorcycle" in there if he thought of it, but the vast array of skills he listed gets the point across well enough, I think.
I agree with a lot of what you say and if you take the time to read my ride report you'll see why. Try searching for the beautiful hand crafted wooden kayaks I build. My point is if you are not a mechanic don't ride this bike far from home. I have learned my lesson. Even a mechanic would have some frustration if he had paid to have fuel issues repaired so he could go home to see his wife at Christmas ( I spent five months riding in south America last year and didn't see her at Christmas, of course you know that if you've read my ride report)only to find out the issues were not addressed and then he had to sit and wait four days for the parts he thought he had paid to fix already.

Thanks though,

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 01:29 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #63
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I have done it quite successfully in 17 countries last year alone. I partially agree however, no one should be riding a KTM across the world. I would be most interested in any intercontinental ride reports you have published. can you post a link?

Kedgi

Yeah, damn KTM's hate milk jug gas.

I'm a Software Developer, not a mechanic and my time is also very valuable. That is why I learn the inner workings of my motorcycles and common problems and fixes for them. That way I don't wind up wasting my precious time in some dive hotel whining to the internet instead of riding a running motorcycle. Even worse with the places I frequently go, though in the US, it'd be easy to wind up alone broke down in the middle of nowhere waiting to die of starvation or dehydration.

Sorry you're having problems and your vacay was blown, but self sufficiency counts for a lot when the stakes are high.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #64
rvsparky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
On the brighter side

I was looking for a place to post my last dealings with my dealer in Wichita Ks. and KTM. I have been ridding KTM since 07 and have had 2 990's one 530 and 2 690's. all which have been shipped all over the world and ridden
in very severe conditions.
Last week while knocking around in Texas Hill Country I had my first problem after all these bikes and all these miles. Sounds like much the same issue as the person here that is unhappy.
My bike is a 2012 990R with apx 17k miles. It started running poorly and it took me 6 hours to get 155 miles to my truck and trailer.
I am leaving for Mexico the first of Feb and did not want any problems so
it took it to the dealer in Wichita Ks. and yes the filters were indeed dirty.
They were aware that I did not want any chance of other problems and went ahead and also put in a new fuel pump at no cost to me even though the bike was out of warranty.
Sorry for the long story but I feel that not very many people have had the same problems as the above person is having.
Cheers
Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #65
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,127
Quote:
Not sure of your point. Don't think you should be so critical of overland riders with a serious, costly bike issue, that is trying to warn others to shy away from a suspect product, especially if you are sittin' home on the couch.

Did you post a link to your overland ride reports. If you did, I'm sorry I missed it. Please post it again.

Thanks for your input.
Have you ever raced the Baja 1000? Like riding around the world, it means fuck all about your inability to change a fuel filter.

Consider yourself as having fulfilled your mission. If you can't change your fuel filter you should not plan on riding a fuel injected bike across the world. Your point has been made.

A serious costly bike issue! That's rich!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #66
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Well, if his air filter clogged after riding through the desert, would that be the KTMs fault, too? What about a flat tire? What if, god forbid, the bike was using oil?

Do you know there is no KTM dealership in Baja, Mex?
An overland bike should be able to make a 2000 mile trip through the Baja if it was truly and overland bike, without the services of a dealer, don't you think. Or, do you think a bike should have so many issues it's been at three dealers between the Carolinas and Texas like this KTM has.

Not sure what it is you don't understand about paying once, so you have the time to spend Christmas with your family, to have an issue addressed, finding out when you get back that inspite of paying a big price once you're waiting four days for parts, stranded thousands of miles from home, to have the same issue addressed, 500 miles later. You find that funny? I don't think you have the experience to be posting here. read more, learn, post less, is my humble advice to you my friend.

I sense you have a lack of overland experience maybe? I also suspect you were in such a hurry to take childish potshots you haven't read my ride report.

Please I implore you send me a link to your overland ride reports. I want to get a sense of the vast travel experience you have that is making you so critical of my bike problems and problems with an uncaring manufacturer.

Please don't waste the time of a real dualsport overland rider with a recurring mechanical issue on a new bike that could use some help

Thanks, respectfully

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 01:27 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #67
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:

It is a shop job. This is not a proceedure that can been done in a parking lot.

Kedgi

Sure it can be done in a parking lot. We did my friend's 990 in a dirt motel parking lot in Big Bend. It is a very straightforward repair. It took us all of a couple of hours, never having done one before. I am sure we had less time in it then you have invested in this thread.

I agree the 990 is susceptible to bad fuel issues. It is a known issue and has been since KTM switched to FI almost seven years ago in the States. Your issue is nothing new. Sounds like your trip got ruined by poor service from a dealer more than anything.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #68
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
This seems like an issue with incompetent mechanics...nothing more. As I said in the other thread any fuel injected bike will need the filter changed at some point.

My Weestrom had the same filter issue. I pulled the tank and after about 25 bucks and an hour of my time had a new filter in place and was back in business.

You had someone babysit the bike while you were home for the holidays. Why not have them run several tanks of gas though it and see if it was fixed?

Did you ever post up here in the appropriate forum to ask the collective what the issue might be? The collective knowledge on this site is much more than any dealer would have.

Just out of curiosity, if you got on the bike and it ran perfectly for the remainder of your trip would you still be bad mouthing it?
IBA #33260
Old 01-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #69
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,241
Wtf??

Dude, I'm trying to help you TWICE NOW and you haven't responded to either.

I'm starting to wonder if this whole fiasco is either made up, or made out of nothing. Honestly it is starting to seem more like trolling than an actual thread for help.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 01-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #70
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
An overland bike should be able to make a 2000 mile trip through the Baja if it was truly and overland bike, without the services of a dealer, don't you think. Or, do you think a bike should have so many issues it's been at three dealers between the Carolinas and Texas like this KTM has.

Not sure what it is you don't understand about paying once to have an issue addressed, waiting four days for parts, stranded thousands of miles from home, to have the same issue addressed, 500 miles later.

I sense you have a lack of overland experience maybe?

Please I implore you send me a link to your overland ride reports. I want to get a sense of the vast travel experience you have that is making you so critical of my bike problems.

Thanks

Kedgi
YOU accusing other people of lacking experience is pretty darned funny! I'm a lawyer, yet none of my KTMs have ever been back to a dealership for anything. I have 4 in my stable at the moment.

You're right. This is not the bike for you. We agree. A person has to understand which end of a screwdriver drives the screw if he's going to own a KTM. The fact that you managed to ride around a number of countries proves nothing. I've ridden around many foreign countries for weeks at a time. I don't do ride reports- time spent maintaining my motorcycles is more important to me than posting pictures and pretending to be a bad ass world traveler.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #71
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Dude, I'm trying to help you TWICE NOW and you haven't responded to either.

I'm starting to wonder if this whole fiasco is either made up, or made out of nothing. Honestly it is starting to seem more like trolling than an actual thread for help.
This thread is about about a whiner whining about a motorcycle he does not understand while providing said whiner an opportunity to broadcast the fact that he's ridden a bike around a number of countries. He doesn't want help. He wants an audience and he's found one.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #72
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post

$10K+ bikes just don't belong on third world tours. Gimme simple-stupid carburated fuel delivery with a simple-stupid inline fuel filter, a simple-stupid engine that can handle roadside oil changes with questionable Mexican/Ethiopian/Mongolian dino-oil rather than synthetic stuff that is probably "synthetic" synthetic oil if you know what I mean, and an air filter that won't have a conniption fit if all I can do to clean it is pour water over it to wash out half the dust and reinstall it.
Gotta disagree here, too, and point you to:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877576

Attitude/expectation matters a lot more than the type of bike. If you are willing and able to repair your $10k + bike after it falls down a cliff (as the folks in the previous thread did), then take it. If not, don't. If you aren't prepared and expect you won't have to, it's a problem if you DO have to.

Love the Heinlein quote though. I'm still working on the "Conn a Ship" part, and hope to not prove the Die Gallantly for a while yet ;)

Cheers
Craig
Old 01-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #73
superhak31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullskin View Post
A new fuel filter kit with everything you need is $160 from CJ Designs and it is not difficult to install. You only have to remove the left tank and drop the pump assembly out. My 2010 990 has 36000 miles of trouble free fuel filtering. I carry an extra filter kit with me on trips in case I run into bad gas. CJ has also recently developed new billet filler caps with drop in prefilters that are really nice if you know you will be running into bad gas.

http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ...-CFPRK-990.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #74
superhak31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
My new KTM 990/Why I cancelled a Winter riding Mexico

Ugh! I had bad gas and had a spare filter with me. No problemo!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #75
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Yeah, damn KTM's hate milk jug gas.

I'm a Software Developer, not a mechanic and my time is also very valuable. That is why I learn the inner workings of my motorcycles and common problems and fixes for them. That way I don't wind up wasting my precious time in some dive hotel whining to the internet instead of riding a running motorcycle. Even worse with the places I frequently go, though in the US, it'd be easy to wind up alone broke down in the middle of nowhere waiting to die of starvation or dehydration.

Sorry you're having problems and your vacay was blown, but self sufficiency counts for a lot when the stakes are high.
I guess you're right I probably should have known my brand new KTM was going to fail four times in a ride halfway across the states and i should have taken a laundry list of spares with me. Its a KTM afterall. Maybe I should have brought a support van to follow me too. should have known that when i paid a dealer to prep the bike for Mexico he would have screwed it up. Its a KTM afterall. What was I thinking? Oh I know I though I bought a reliable new overland bike for a trip to Mexico. Instead, I screwed up, I know where I went wrong, i bought a KTM

Oh and my vacay wasn't blown, guess you didn't read my rr
Thanks

Kedgi
Closed Thread