ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #76
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
This thread is about about a whiner whining about a motorcycle he does not understand while providing said whiner an opportunity to broadcast the fact that he's ridden a bike around a number of countries. He doesn't want help. He wants an audience and he's found one.
It appears you're right. What a waste of time.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 01-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #77
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Sure it can be done in a parking lot. We did my friend's 990 in a dirt motel parking lot in Big Bend. It is a very straightforward repair. It took us all of a couple of hours, never having done one before. I am sure we had less time in it then you have invested in this thread.

I agree the 990 is susceptible to bad fuel issues. It is a known issue and has been since KTM switched to FI almost seven years ago in the States. Your issue is nothing new. Sounds like your trip got ruined by poor service from a dealer more than anything.
Could be, but when you did it in the motel parking lot did you wait four days for the parts. Was the bike, brand new still under warranty too. We're you blindsided by four standings in a row on one ride. Is this what we all should expect from KTM? really? Is this what we as consumers of expensive motorcycles settle for? Crawling around in the dirt replacing fuel filters on a new bike?

It's what I'm hearing is necessary if you ride a KTM. Loud and clear. I won't be riding another one.

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #78
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Hey- I think this is the first time you and I ever agreed on anything!

Guess it wasn't a total waste, after all!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #79
Bowber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
You keep banging on about having done a lot of overland and then asking where the posters ride report is. It's probably not there because they didn't want to write one, lot's of people do amasing things every day without telling a single person about them.

All FI bikes these days have super fine filters that clog easily, that's because it's easier to change a filter than get all that crap out of the FI system, Yes it would be nice if you could run the bike for it's life time without touching a thing but the fact is you do have to.
You stated how there is no or few dealers in Mexico, why then choose that bike to ride in that area if you can't do your own basic maintenance?

$1000 to change the filter? You have been royally fucked up the arse there!
You can change a tyre then you can change the filter and pump if it comes to it, it's not hard or illogical to do

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...l_filters.html

Bikes still in warranty and you've already done 30K on it, well it's not been that bad has it!

Am I a veteran overlander with numerous ride report to my name, no and even if I was you'd never find a RR from me because I'd never write one.
If I'd come across you broken down I'd have helped you anyway I could, including changing a filter for you (you carry a spare right?) oh maybe not because you were going into an area known for dirty fuel on a fuel injected bike with no dealer network available and no experience in basic maintenance, don't blame the bike, blame your crap dealer, blame lack of proper maintenance, blame bad luck but you'd have eventually had just the same problems on any bike, even your KLR will have eventually had carb problems , it just didn't happen that time.

So to close this take your experience and ask your self if you'd have rather have known the basics and just done the change yourself and carried on.
Or just go back to a basic old bike with a carb, then learn how to take the carb to bits and clean it out properly, which I can assure you is FAR harder than a filter change.

Steve
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #80
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post

Thanks for your help.

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #81
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
San Antonio is a nice town, I would suggest a long walk with a stop at several pubs, trust me it will do you good.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #82
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
YOU accusing other people of lacking experience is pretty darned funny! I'm a lawyer, yet none of my KTMs have ever been back to a dealership for anything. I have 4 in my stable at the moment.

You're right. This is not the bike for you. We agree. A person has to understand which end of a screwdriver drives the screw if he's going to own a KTM. The fact that you managed to ride around a number of countries proves nothing. I've ridden around many foreign countries for weeks at a time. I don't do ride reports- time spent maintaining my motorcycles is more important to me than posting pictures and pretending to be a bad ass world traveler.

Thanks for your help. I think your a grandstander, maybe not a lawyer, who is a little bitter about being called out as a troll.

I appreciate your input.

Still waiting for that link to your vast ride experience my friend still waiting. I have the time to read it as i wait four days for parts for my unreliable, new KTM

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #83
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Hey- I think this is the first time you and I ever agreed on anything!

Guess it wasn't a total waste, after all!
It literally caused me to convulse to write those words..... Glad you recognized that.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 01-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #84
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
you sound like you should have bought a BMW
Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #85
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
San Antonio is a nice town, I would suggest a long walk with a stop at several pubs, trust me it will do you good.
I like the suggestion. I am at an airport motel a long way from the riverwalk. I make a half mile trip each way to the nearest restaurant, in an industrial park behind a Target store to get my supper each night. It's getting old. I have enjoyed having something to do today.

Unaware's (sp) posts have entertained me. I travel to meet people and go nice places. I have had a rewarding career and my life is a "vacay" Posting on Orange Crush a reading the BS some spew, who have never ridden long distance and can't take a well intentioned warning without saying "it's your fault" "you're not a mechanic" "you should have brought a parts store with you" has been eye opening. What drivel. They don't want to address the inexcusable four day wait for parts i guess.

I think you're right though a walk would do me good. I can likely expect a lot of walking if I ride a KTM haha I'd like to take a cab down to thre Riverwalk but my costs are mounting thanks to my delay's caused by the inavailability of KTM parts in one of the biggest cities in Texas.

Thanks,

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #86
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I guess you're right I probably should have known my brand new KTM was going to fail four times in a ride halfway across the states and i should have taken a laundry list of spares with me. Its a KTM afterall. Maybe I should have brought a support van to follow me too. should have known that when i paid a dealer to prep the bike for Mexico he would have screwed it up. Its a KTM afterall. What was I thinking? Oh I know I though I bought a reliable new overland bike for a trip to Mexico. Instead, I screwed up, I know where I went wrong, i bought a KTM

Oh and my vacay wasn't blown, guess you didn't read my rr
Thanks

Kedgi
Your KTM is a machine, every machine from the space shuttle to a mouse trap has experienced a failure. To think this impossible because the machine is new is deluded at best. With a background in aviation I'd figure you would know that aircraft fresh out of maintenance are the ones which need the most scrutiny. I'm not sure why you'd need a support van to carry a sum of spare parts (consumables at that) smaller than a can of beer or a spare tube. You DO carry a spare set of tubes don't you, or did you just figure you wouldn't get flats because your tubes were new?

Hopefully your KTM will wind up with someone who appreciates it more, once they take care of these teething issues it will be a great machine for them.

I skimmed your RR but if this isn't considered a blown vacation I'd hate to be within earshot of you when you have a real problem.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #87
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
you sound like you should have bought a BMW

I'm reluctant to admit it. But I think you're right.

This KTM990 is not the bike for anyone who actually adventure rides.

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #88
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 426
never owned a KTM before, until now, yet . . .

Never touched a KTM in my life before November. I am not a trained mechanic. I am an old retired electrical engineer, and everyone knows how terrible engineers are when they try to be technicians. I had no trouble changing the fuel filter. It's easily less than a 60 minute job. Next time, I'll do it without taking the tank off, just to confirm that I can, and just to see if I can do it on the side of the road in 30 minutes. In my opinion, it's a 10K mile service item, just like valve checks, but MUCH easier.

Oh, and just to be clear, I'd never travel far from home without a spare fuel filter set with O-rings in my luggage. It's small and weighs nothing.

Also my opinion, but if someone chooses to ride a moto, or drive a two track vehicle, into locations with little support, they not only should know how to service and repair their vehicle, they should actually do so, always.

If not, you are just rolling the dice. Sometimes you get away with it. This time you didn't. If you had changed the fuel filter at the same time that you had the tanks off for the 10K valve adjustment, it's only a $30 and 30 minute job. Why wouldn't you do so?

I suspect you'll be offended by my comments, since you have shown no interest in learning from the feedback of the rest of us that wouldn't have chosen to put ourselves into your position. Instead, you only want to complain and blame others for your situation. I'd rather control my own destiny. Best of luck regardless.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #89
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Thanks for your help.

Kedgi
I tried to help you TWICE and you ignored me both times. My mistake in not recognizing you're a troll with an axe to grind, because you have no idea how to fix your bike for something that is probably a simple matter of you overfilling the fucking gas tanks when you fill up.

But whatever, this thread has had the positive effect of giving me and my anti-matter doppelgänger something to commiserate on, AND has me getting my helmet to take my 990 out for a spin this afternoon.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #90
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
My .02

My 2 pennies:

For the amount you paid, the bike should run on shitty gas or just about anything for that matter.

You also had the bike regularly serviced (I see in your other ride reports).

I think it would be understandable to have a regularly serviced bike make it accross the USA without issues.

All this talk of carrying spares and what not, piss on it. Why buy a $160 filter kit for a bike under warranty? You know the deal - you touch the bike and KTM says "you changed the last filter, we won't warranty it now"

Also, the dealer should have these filters in stock if they are so commonly needed.

At this point, KTM Corp can basically do nothing to get you back as a customer. Are you sure you can't do a trade in at the dealer? Can they get KTM Corp to ship the bike to Canada? At that point you can trade it in.
Closed Thread