Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #16
thierry2
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I got confirmation yesterday by the quality France. He has a software update is available at dealerships to resolve this ptoblème.
thierry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #17
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by thierry2 View Post
I got confirmation yesterday by the quality France. He has a software update is available at dealerships to resolve this ptoblème.
thanks - I would love to know if that update actually fixes the problem
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 753
Why is this a problem. When I buy a new bike, the first mod I do is to add a brake light modulator. I'm thrilled I won't have to do this when I get my 1190R.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #19
Bundu
===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
Why is this a problem. When I buy a new bike, the first mod I do is to add a brake light modulator. I'm thrilled I won't have to do this when I get my 1190R.
does the brake light modulator flash the lights when you accelerate? if so, then you won't need one
Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 753
No, just when you brake. I didn't realize you were talking about flashing during acceleration.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
I JET
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
only just found this thread. My brake light flashes when i ride over bumps in the road. Have been telling my dealer about it since the first service 6 months ago. They still have not done anything about it. Really annoying to follow the bike not knowing if about to brake hard or just riding over bumps
1991 Yamaha 50 → 1989 Yamaha 80 → 1989 Honda XR80 → 1988 Honda XR100 → 1993 Honda XR250 → 1997 Honda XR400 → 2007 KTM 450 EXC → 1994 Honda RVF 400 → 2010 BMW S1000RR → 2010 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple →
2012 BMW S1000RR --> Bike of the Month DEC/2012 <--http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bm...er-2012-a.html Current Bike → → 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
I JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #22
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
LEDs will only flicker with AC current. I presume the DC voltage of the 1190 is regulated and at a steady +12vdc?
You are partly right, LED's are supposed to always be fed with DC. It CAN be fed with AC, as you say, which will make them flicker - in best case - but that is not the case in normal electronics. Instead, to regulate the LED "strength", the DC voltage can be lowered or - which is more normal - the voltage can be cut using e.g. a turistor that cuts the DC into various length spikes depending on how much "strength" you want. In a way, you may call this AC but it really isn't. The frequency of the "spikes" can be up to a few thousand hertz. The eye cannot see this (about 25 hertz is usually enough for the eye), but a camera can.
Hope this helped someone :)
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #23
Bundu
===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by I JET View Post
only just found this thread. My brake light flashes when i ride over bumps in the road. Have been telling my dealer about it since the first service 6 months ago. They still have not done anything about it. Really annoying to follow the bike not knowing if about to brake hard or just riding over bumps
mine probably also does when going over bumps, but is most pronounced when I accelerate strongly
My dealer told me that the traction control briefly flashes the brake light when it activates........ Guess I'll have to figure out which one of the brake switches is a dud and get my clever dealer to replace it....
Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #24
XsilverGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I did write a couple of emails to KTM UK pointing them in the direction of this thread but I never received the response I wanted.

Perhaps if all UK 1190 owners with this problem emailed Bernie Tiller bernie.tiller@ktm.co.uk something may get done. Owners outside the UK should email their respective importers.
XsilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #25
Bundu
===============

I would not be surprised if many more have the problem, but are not aware of it
Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #26
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvIvan View Post
...Instead, to regulate the LED "strength", the DC voltage can be lowered or - which is more normal - the voltage can be cut using e.g. a turistor that cuts the DC into various length spikes depending on how much "strength" you want. In a way, you may call this AC but it really isn't. The frequency of the "spikes" can be up to a few thousand hertz. The eye cannot see this (about 25 hertz is usually enough for the eye), but a camera can.
Hope this helped someone :)
I'm very familiar with SCR motor speed controllers, considered old technology now for motor control, but for low power electronic uses like dimmers it makes sense.

Great bit of info, thanks!
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
NKL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #28
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKL View Post
You need to get a grip and quit the trolling.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #29
December6th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
can confirm

my 2013 1190r had the "flashing brake light on hard acceleration" issue as well. When doing a trip through eastern Europe last year all group members reported that the brake lights of both KTM 1190 (brand new T and my R with 10000km) were perfect indicators for road condition. Every mayor bump or hole in the road makes the brake light flush. During the 8000km tour the problem got better due to bikes getting more and more dirty. Sounds to me like the weight of the rear brake lever is already sufficient to trigger the brake light during hard acceleration or bad road surface.
In addition the brake light is programmed to start flashing under extreme braking - but that might be unique to Europe as some newer cars do the same...
The Problem with the brake light is known to KTM (my dealer is very very close to factory) and supposed to be fixed in future SW update.

Nikolaus
December6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #30
Bundu
===============

mine seems to have been cured by the latest software update