Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #76
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Born into it. Both Mom and Dad rode. Heck Mom and Dad met at Motorcycle club meetings, no not Sons of Anarchy, they were the Road Knights of Philadelphia, mostly Glenside. Mom's Dad, my grandfather is in the motorcycle Hall of Fame (http://www.oriesteele.com is the website I created about him) he rode factory Indian hillclimb and won a ton of races from the teens up into the 30's.

My father worked at a Harley dealership for years. When I was about 5 he brought home a Bronco 50cc minibike. He showed me how to use it and the next day I proceeded to ride it into the side of the house. Mom was less than pleased. The minibike went away for a while, then about a year later it came back. When I grew out of that I got a '69 Aeromacchi Harley that I beat around the woods. Then a 500cc Triumph thumper. My first road bike was a Triumph Bonneville, then I got my first BMW, and then another, and another.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #77
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
it was 1957, I was 5 years old and my uncle came to visit on his brand new Harley and took me for a ride

99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #78
out rider
Nearing the end

Oddometer: 597
Back about 1964 a couple of years before I could get a license my cousin who I was staying with rode me on the back of his Harley from Port Washington WI to Milwaukee, WI. and that was all it took. I knew then that a car was not going to be my form of transportation. Had two motorcycles before I ever bought a car.

I still ride with that cousin who is now in his early 70's and me in early 60's, except not on the back like in 1964. Sometimes it just a simple ride that you give to a relative, neighbor or whoever that sparks that interest that we all know.

So remember, give a kid a ride and you may just ride with that kid 50 years later!
out rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #79
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721
I got a hand me down 1973 XR-75 from my next older brother when I was 6 (1977). It's been down hill ever since.

My oldest brother and neighbors about his age would give me rides around the neighborhood on their tanks when I was 4 or 5. CB360s and such.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #80
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,141
Started riding at 4. Left all that, bike included, behind for a girl.
She held the opinion that I should ride her moped in stead of walking to and fro her place.
A revelation. Wind in your hair without peddling. Epiphany.
Started working and saving for a real motorcycle, a Skyhunter with dual seat.
Did a lot of hunting back then.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #81
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
my car got totaled, I said hey ive always wanted a dirt bike. So I bought a plated Xr600R from Malcolm Smith. I said to my self, how hard could it be? I had them show me how to kick start it. Then I was off, with no issues. It was my sole means of transportation for 2 years. Rode it to work, rain or shine. Rode it off road every weekend with out fail, at least a hundred miles a weekend.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #82
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,416
When I was about 13 (1982) my cousin showed me how to ride his Trail 90. Rode it around the yard a few times, then up the hill towards the trails and ran right into the barn.
Didn't even think about them again until about 1990. Got the itch and been scratching it ever since.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #83
zeerx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
I was thumbing home from my last day of freshman year high school. A guy on a 305 Honda scrambler picked me up. By the time he dropped me off 3 miles later...I was hooked.
'66 CL77
'12 F150 (Ford)
zeerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #84
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Those Nighthawks are just the coolest bikes ever! Regardless of how old they get, they still look classy and never outdated to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy View Post

Here's a pic with my cousins bike and mine:

RD
Soldier311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #85
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier311 View Post
Those Nighthawks are just the coolest bikes ever! Regardless of how old they get, they still look classy and never outdated to me.
That was a good look.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #86
GaryM
Huh? What?

Oddometer: 76
Mommy and Daddy wouldn't let me ride...

So I bought a bike anyway. I think it was an 1981 KZ250 (Yeah, a 250 cruiser style street bike, FY if you don't like it). Paid 999.00 new out the door IIRC.
Been on a lot of bikes since then. Love riding now more than I ever did back then.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #87
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
got the itch early

Rode on my dad's bikes sitting on the tank when i was probably 3 or 4...dad got my first beater bike when I was 12.

Stopped riding for a few years, but came back to it with a vengeance.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #88
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Cb160

15 years old. A new family moved into the neighborhood and the guy that was my age had a black Honda CB160. He let me ride it around the back yard. One came for sale in the paper. I picked it up for about $150 if I remember correctly. Learned how to keep it going my freshman and junior year in High School. Took on overnight trips to the smokey mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I miss that bike and have looked all over for one to replace it with. No luck so far.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #89
tlub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thought it was practical, never thought it would be fun

When I went to college (in 1971), I had a car (Rambler American, convertible with fold down seats), but there was no place for it there and no use, either. Some of my dorm mates had motorcycles- Honda 175, Kaw MachIII, and I thought well, I could ride to class, park at the dorm in the motorcycle lot, and during the summer, when I needed to get to work, I could ride it to work. And I didn't really need it during the school year- but it might be nice. So I bought (don't laugh) a Harley/Aermacchi 250 for practical reasons, for 200 bucks, the weekend before Thanksgiving, having had my Mom put my car up for sale. In the three days before I had to ride 110 miles north to Chicago (in November) my dorm buddies got me up to 2nd gear doing circles in the parking lot. On Wednesday I headed north, with the temp about 40 degree and me entirely clueless as to windchill. After 15 miles I was shaking uncontrollably. Oh, and this was the first time I had the bike in either 3rd or 4th (top) gear, too, so I had lots of experience. I was on US 45, which was fairly deserted, since the parallel I-57 was just completed. I had no idea a person could get that cold. After 40 or 50 miles (don't have ANY idea how I did it) I got off and started pushing it, with the engine running, just to warm up. I alternatively pushed and rode for the next hour or more, and finally stopped for a hamburger and lots of coffee. I had still to do about another 35 miles by this time, which I did in one stretch, but there were flurries. I remember that about 2 miles from home, there were snow banks from an earlier storm, and I was thinking maybe I could just take a short nap in one of them. But I also recognized this was a bad thing. I made it home, and being of an inquiring mind even then (I am a research scientist now), I took my temperature. It was 92, which I later learned was the limit of consciousness. It was also about the lower limit of the thermometer. Well, I rode it back (or tried to) in Feb (after I got my license), on a warm (50F) weekend, but this time I had a tan K-Mart rubberized fabric rainsuit, which blocked the wind, and some warmer clothes under that. It only took 3 tries, because on the first I threw a rod bearing and on the second, my generator failed. I think I actually made it back in April. Then in June, coming home for summer, I broke some rings, and it smoked like crazy, but I made it home, and new rings were nothing compared to the thrown rod. For some inexplicable reason, I put about 20,000 miles on that POC over the next 3 years. I only had minor breakdowns like more generators (wires vibrated broken; I twisted them together to get home), and about 15 flat tires until I figured that the chrome rims were flaking into the tubes. When I sold it, I had nearly 30,000 miles on it, which is unreal for a HD-Aermacchi Sprint 250. I bought a 1966 BMW R50/2 and the change was unreal. I had no idea a bike could be so comfortable. But the Sprint did get me a job at college. I repeatedly applied for a mechanic position at the local 'any brand' shop, but they always said they needed someone with professional experience. So I would get back on the Sprint, kick it, and ride away. And repeat in a few months. After the 3rd time, they said, "Sure. Bring your toolbox in Monday" Stunned, I did that. Months later, I found out that the only reason I was hired was that every time I left, the Sprint started 1st kick, and the owner figured that anyone who could get a Sprint to start 1st kick, every time, had to know something!
Needless to say, somewhere along the way, actually very early, I discovered I really liked riding. 2 years later, after I got my first post-college job, I sold the R50/2 and bought an R75/5. I still ride that bike, 37 years later.

tlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #90
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
My sisters pals dad, we lived in a housing estate that had a half mile long road leading to it, I would hear this sound that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and dart outside as quick as I could, and there would be Catherine Buckleys dad screaming down the road on his GS thou, feck man he looked the dugs nuts on that thing, the rest is history.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote