ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #61
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
1st Problem

OK so I have run into the 1st problem.

The larger cam bridge bolts will not come out. Am I safe using heat or will it warp the cam bridge?
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #62
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post

The larger cam bridge bolts will not come out. Am I safe using heat or will it warp the cam bridge?
All of them? Have you stripped them?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #63
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,107
Quote:

Have you rounded the nuts, allen heads, they shouldn't be that tight...m8's are 18nm and m6's are 10nm....I'd give a impact driver a go.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #64
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Charlie...

Thanks for the suggestion that was a big help, I wish I would have thought of that sooner. They were really in there. Unfortunately a few still stripped out and I had to weld a bolt to the end. Even then they had a difficult time coming out and sheered one of the bolts off! No locktight, so Im guessing they were really cranked in at a previous valve adjustment.

The progress so far:

The rear cams looked fine. The cam carrier had some wear in the journals, but I think it is ok.

The rear cylinder had an obvious head gasket leak, but everything look in good shape. Plenty of hatch markings on the cylinder and the piston skirt looked good.

The rear piston rings end gap was under the .5mm wear limit, coming in about .45mm.
The piston measured 99.94mm, under the wear limit of .93

Everything looked very similar on the front.

The piston spec'd out .94, however the piston rings had much more wear, being over the .5mm (around .51). Im not sure why the front had more ring wear

In the process of pulling the fly wheel and clutch basket to change the timing chains and oil pump pressure spring.

Overall the ending is very clean inside with no signs of crud or build up.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #65
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Looking good Ben, keep it up!

Been trying to ride once a week at least. Utah season is just around the corner though

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #66
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,973
Nice. Thanks for the pics and thread!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #67
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,884
Heat wrenches to the rescue!

When I have problems with the cam bolts, I smack it around a little with a big punch. Then just grab it with a big vice grips. 100% success so far.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #68
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

In the process of pulling the fly wheel and clutch basket to change the timing chains and oil pump pressure spring.

Overall the ending is very clean inside with no signs of crud or build up.
The pressure pump valve has been upgraded by KTM, I recently changed mine. The only noticeable difference is that it doesn't use a cir-clip at the base of the spring, KTM say the piston is different to...................

60038010133 PRESSURE PUMP HOUSING CPL.

Also peanuts recommended change the 60034024144 LOCKING LEVER CPL, if the bearing type fails lots of little bearings, the upgraded one has a solid wheel.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #69
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
The pressure pump valve has been upgraded by KTM, I recently changed mine. The only noticeable difference is that it doesn't use a cir-clip at the base of the spring, KTM say the piston is different to...................

60038010133 PRESSURE PUMP HOUSING CPL.

Also peanuts recommended change the 60034024144 LOCKING LEVER CPL, if the bearing type fails lots of little bearings, the upgraded one has a solid wheel.

I have cam chain clatter at idle when the bike is hot so I hope a new spring and valve solves the issues (Pydon mentioned the spring being worn in a post somewhere).

What parts fich is the Locking Lever CPL found in? I cant figure out where it is.

Thanks for the help

Edit: Nevermind I found it!

COXR650L screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 08:23 AM
Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #70
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok so looking at the end support bearing in the clutch cover for the crank, there is some noticeable wear:

Is this acceptable?

Or should I try and replace it, and if so do I need to split the cases to check the other main bearings?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #71
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
Ok so looking at the end support bearing in the clutch cover for the crank, there is some noticeable wear:

Or should I try and replace it, and if so do I need to split the cases to check the other main bearings?
I know Pyndon replaced his; he told me this was because it failed the "fingernail" test (could feel a groove). There is no wear spec in the manual for this, only for the crank end that rotates inside it.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #72
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I know Pyndon replaced his; he told me this was because it failed the "fingernail" test (could feel a groove). There is no wear spec in the manual for this, only for the crank end that rotates inside it.
Ya it certainly has noticeable grooves in.

What is the best procedure for removing the bearing and then installing a new one? Is the special tool from KTM necessary?

Also is this an indication of the condition of the internal crank bearings?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #73
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
What is the best procedure for removing the bearing and then installing a new one? Is the special tool from KTM necessary?
Special tool to remove and install (it's in the manual page 5-6). Possible any blind puller will work and looks like you could make the installation tool/holder if you have a lathe.

Quote:
Also is this an indication of the condition of the internal crank bearings?
Dunno but I would have thought so as the primary means of support is the case bearings. If it's cutting a groove in the clutch cover support I'd have thought this would indicate that the case support is out of true .... but I'm no expert I'd check the crank end wear also.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #74
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have cam chain clatter at idle when the bike is hot so I hope a new spring and valve solves the issues (Pydon mentioned the spring being worn in a post somewhere).

What parts fich is the Locking Lever CPL found in? I cant figure out where it is.

Thanks for the help

Edit: Nevermind I found it!
I doubt its the pressure release, pull the cir clip and measure the spring. Make sure you have a replacement cir-clip first...my broke, wasn't an issue as I replaced the whole thing. I'd check/replace the cam chain tensioners and springs. Measure the oil pump within spec.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #75
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
I doubt its the pressure release, pull the cir clip and measure the spring. Make sure you have a replacement cir-clip first...my broke, wasn't an issue as I replaced the whole thing. I'd check/replace the cam chain tensioners and springs. Measure the oil pump within spec.
I hope it helps. The oil pump was well within spec, however the old spring was considerably shorter than the new one.

So what to do about the crank bearings

Thanks