ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #76
okietrailboss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Looking for a really good camping spot around the taos area will be traveling around Sept 1 through to moab any suggestion greatly appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #77
03bart
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Monument

New to ADVrider. Just picked up an F800GS in May and riding powered bikes again for the first time in 30 years. Looking forward to riding around CO!
03bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #78
MonNinja
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking

Hello All! I too am new to AdvRider. I moved to Denver just over a year ago and have recently bought a new BMW F800GS. I flew back east to purchase the bike in NJ where my family lives (father has an R1200GS). We did the north route back to CO, just over 4K miles and such an amazing trip with the old man. Well, it's nice to meet you all and hope to ride with some of you soon.
MonNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #79
Cully
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Not exactly new to ADVrider, I've been a lurker for quite some time. I moved from Chicago to Colorado springs about a year ago and I ride a 75' BMW R60/6. Eventually I'll be picking up some sort of enduro/dual sport to cruse around in the mountains, I'm already up there quite a bit on my mountain bike so I might as well even it out with some motorized off road fun.

1975 BMW R60/6
Dual sport soon ..... hopefully
Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #80
royalwulff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
New to ADVRider and new to adventure riding

Hi all! Looks like a great forum. I've been riding roads for 20 years. Dad and I just took an adventure ride with his bikes. He road a KLR 650 (I think, not sure the cc's) and loaned me his '85 Honda 500 XL. The goal was to make it from Colorado Springs to Steamboat taking as many back roads as we could find and camping along the way. We ended up on some pretty tough trails in Colorado - shoulda done more research. The old man bit it a number of times and was pretty freakin' sore. I fell twice, but not too bad. Fortunately the women of the family met us at a nice condo in Steamboat with some much needed hot tubs. Anyway, we both had a blast despite minor injuries, flooded carbs, and a few new scratches on the bikes. (like Tow Mater says, "Dents means we're friends!" - I also have a 3 year old with his own mini Yamaha dirt bike.)

After that, I went out and traded my '93 Yamaha V-Max of 13 years for a '98 KTM 620 RXC. The other guy probably got a better deal with the trade as far as KBB is concerned, but I'm pretty happy.

Looking forward to learning more about dirt and eventually going places that I couldn't even take a 4-wheel drive.
royalwulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #81
Daishiknyte
I'm Me There

Oddometer: 41
Well, I guess this is really happening.

After a couple years of putting off a bike not wanting to gamble with big city traffic, a relocation to Utah finally got me moving! As of last week, I've added [another] expensive hobby to the list, starting with a CB500X (and gear). It's a bit late in the season, but I'll take that as a challenge to get in as much riding as I can before the cold and snow set in. There are definitely a lot of good rides out this way.

Looking forward to a good time!
Daishiknyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #82
ronofthejungle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hello all,
I've been wanting to buy a motorcycle for years, and came very close to getting one about 14 years ago, when I suddenly moved across country, and found out I was going to be a dad all within 3 months. As it appears many husbands here have, I lost the battle and riding a bike was put on hold. Fast forward to present day, kids are older and all in school, I've finally won the battle and put the plan in motion to ride.

So, I've signed up for a basic rider class in 2 weeks, and will get my endorsement immediately after the class. I have only been a motorcycle a few times, and put maybe a total of a couple miles at most off road, so I am basically starting with no experience. Another obstacle is that I am "fun sized" at only 5' 4".

Recently, I went to Sandia BMW here in Albuquerque and was able to sit on both a new and used G 650 GS, the Bike I am focussing on getting (or its older sibling the F650 thumper). With the lower suspension, I think I will be ok, and even better after I found some lowering links from Kouba as well thanks to this site.

I'm focusing on getting a used bike first, hopefully find one in the low range of 3-5k, and use it for a year or 2 before getting new. Although, if I don't find one soon after getting my license or can only find on the high end range, I may be tempted to just get a new one.

Thanks for all the great info/pics for us pre-convert lurkers, hope to see you all on the road soon.
ronofthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #83
otisfireboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Wink Intro

Hey all, introducing myself here as I am now an adventure rider!! Bought my 2013 KLR650 about two months ago and now that I am furlough'd, finally getting to do some riding! Live in Steamboat Springs and am wondering if there are any other locals here?
Also wondering how I might be able to post some pics of my "green machine"?
Been doing alot of searching and reading, this forum is such a great resource.
Thinking of a Moab ride and might be touring to S. AZ for turkey day, oh the thoughts are endless right now. Already completed one self supported camping trip on the upper colorado river......and only caught four fish......
Still getting used to dirt and two tracks, a bit different riding style then cruizin on my VT1100(got rid of that POS).

Oh farkle:
-IMS SS Pegs
-Eagle Mike raising links
-Eagle Mike bar risers
-Dirt rack panner rack
-Happy trails PD nerf and skid plate
-Custom made rocket box panners
-Debadged
and more to come.......

Look forward to hooking up for a group ride before fire season starts up again
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #84
otisfireboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
BOOM Pics

Let's see how this works!
[IMG] photo IMG_20131007_112109995_zps0e3868e7.jpg[/IMG]
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #85
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,502
[
Welcome, I am over in Craig. There are a couple guys over in the "Boat " also.

QUOTE=otisfireboy;22524791]Let's see how this works!
[IMG][/IMG][/QUOTE]
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #86
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Hi From the Springs

Just got a 1993 XT600 and plan to do some weekend rides year round.
Been all over SW CO on a Polaris 500HO atv. Now time to single track.
Wouldn't mind doing some group rides.
Cheers to all.

Proveick screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 02:36 PM
Proveick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #87
mtndaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
another noob!

Native of the front range getting back into using a throttle. Spent many years on mtn bikes after growing up in trials (TL125, TL250). Inherited my dads 2K KLR 650 and have since put 2500 miles since august. Loving the combo of dirt and asphalt that DS riding brings. Noticing the pangs for longer and more challenging rides. My dad had this beast set up for very long adventures- only wish it would have worked out that I could be doing them with him. RIP Bruce! I love you. Looking forward to some group adventures.
mtndaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #88
TufelHunden
Recovering A-hole

Oddometer: 184
2014 Triumph Tiger 800xc

Guess its time I finally introduced myself. I'm Tim and an active duty Marine stationed at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, CO. I am a total motorhead.
I traded in my 2011 BMW K1300s for a 2014 Tiger 800xc at the end on November. I enjoyed the BMW but between all the warranty work and the shoulder injury I just wasnt enjoying riding very much and thats a problem. So I finally found a bike I liked and a dealer who had enough respect for me to give me a decent trade on the BMW and pulled the trigger. I did about 1,200 miles in the first three weeks and have had either work or snow for the last few weeks so I am itching to get out.
Looking forward to riding with all of you.

Semper Fi,
Tim
TufelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #89
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Hey All,

After reading ADVrider threads innumerable times from Googling things like, "KLR tires," or "KLR Toolkit," I've finally decided to register and participate with you adventurers.

I am 24 years old, I live in Fort Collins, am currently attending CSU perusing Mechanical Engineering, and own a Blue/White 2012 KLR 650. After I graduate (and before I head into the real world), I intend to ride my majestic steed to Cape Horn (or as close as I can get to it) and back. Until that happens, I plan on partaking in as many local adventures as I can.

I am lucky (in one way) in that I have a dedicated riding partner (that I happen to live with, too) that owns a TW200. She only got her bike last Fall, so we haven't had too many adventures together. But, as the seasons progress I am certain that will change.

A little back story; in May of 2012 I was involved in a collision while riding my olde Ninja 500 that really should have killed me. But, here I am walking, talking, and riding. If you're really curious, here is a link to the Reddit post I made: Trucks are Hard. (EDIT: Looks like some of those images are no longer being hosted, so here is another link for photos specifically:Facebook Album.) I was not certain how I would feel about riding again after the accident, but I found my desire to head South after college only amplified. Realizing your own mortality does interesting things to you.

I look forward to the adventures,
-wolf

PS: Here I am solo camping last year:

wolfbuzz screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 02:30 PM
wolfbuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #90
Ravenwood
n00b

Oddometer: 3
KLR loveland co Needs dirt!

Have a klr 650 looking for others in the Loveland area that would like to ride off road. I can usually ride during the week. Some weekend days as well. Might try Grasslands this Sun or Mon if it warms a bit.

Thanks
Ravenwood is offline   Reply With Quote