Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #121
Pix
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Seems like the Xmas holidays are THE time to relax and read...

I too finally sat down and actually looked at the words rather than just the pictures and videos. And what a read! Pictures, though absolutely amazing, may tell a story but they certainly don't tell you the entire truth. What an adventure this holiday was, full of unexpected turns! A great read, I now have 2 new favourite authors and will be trawling the web for more stories written by them. Thank you pumpy, thank you Matt
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #122
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,098
Thank you all for your kind feedback!

My plan was to complete the saga before Christmas but there was just too much to do and now I'm already in the Fatherland.

Well, the last instalment is drafted and as soon as I'm back on British soil it'll be finalised and posted, sorry about the delay...

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

Ela
Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #123
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 261
Merry Christmas, Ela!
Looking forward to the final installment!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #124
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Wednesday 9th October

The long way home...

Before hitting the road to Spain we briefly stopped in the industrial area of Bragança to stock up on the Portuguese delicacies we'd grown so fond of during our trip.

Tremoços (Lupin Beans) - Jimmy's favourite

Vinho - of course, everyone's favourite

Timpo's van was notably sagging...

Then it was a long unspectacular drive to the ferry port in Santander - without any navigational slips this time, as the sign-posting is a lot better the other way round.

Having still plenty of time before departure, we explored a small part of the city, went shopping...

... and examined the bikes on display - do you notice anything strange? Look at photo - then at thread title - then at photo again...

Exactly! No wonder this country is going to the dogs when even the eye of the law doesn't follow the rules...

Piss-taking, chatting and watching life go by we passed the time - a seaport is never boring

... and when the sun set it was finally time for boarding

Camp-style dinner

And here we have the age-old question again: do mobile phones improve or actually worsen interpersonal relations?

These are the fellows you can meet during the journey - if you're lucky!

After 20 hours Plymouth appeared on the horizon

Cabin with a view - not ours though. One day when I'm grown-up and rich maybe...

The next pictures are especially for Snafu2...

... to show that we are well aware of the sights and delights of Plymouth

I hope the brake pads are not worn out yet...

Men at work

I was so busy taking photographs that I completely missed the announcement that all drivers should return to their vehicles. It can be a bit scary when - being in a hurry and not reading the sign posts properly - you end up between trucks parked so tightly that you can't squeeze through any further while it slowly dawns on you that your deck is somewhere above you and cannot be accessed from your current location...

But finally I found my breath, the correct staircase to Deck 2 and my team again!

Even for the likes of me and Matt head-space was scarce and running out

Disembarkation went quick and painless after the vintage Volkswagen van in front of us managed to get going on the steep ramp. Not for long though, as we passed them later on the A38, stranded in a lay-by with lots of smoke coming out of the engine... Otherwise the motorway journey was pretty uneventful and just when Matt was about to run out of jokes and anecdotes, we arrived back in Oxford. Luggage and bikes were unpacked and partially relocated to Matt's van, and off he went on his onward journey north.

Possu and I were left with plenty to do on our bikes' maintenance list...

... fond memories and a collection of souvenirs that will help us reminisce about this truly remarkable trip for a long time...

And the moral of the story? Well, reading the whole report again it seems that Portugal wasn't so bad after all. Would we go back? Possibly - if only to check if things have improved...

Here's to all the trails waiting to be ridden in 2014 -

Happy New Year Everyone!

Ela
Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #125
Snafu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Hehe thanks for the Plymouth pictures I love sailing in and out of there and not just because it's near home.

A great report and all the more enjoyable as much of it was read whilst we were in Portugal with the trail bikes, that report will hopefully be in Trail mag soon.

Thanks again, Rob
Old 01-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #126
Daithi
Destination Unknown.

Oddometer: 175
Hi Ela, great ride reports from both yourself and Matt, it was a fantastic trip, pity Portugal hasn't any good trails but the good company more than made up for it, just as well really, otherwise it would have been a terrible waste of a perfectly good CCM. Looking forward to meeting ye all very soon.

Daithi..

PS.... Did you get to watch the DVD yet ?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #127
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
PS.... Did you get to watch the DVD yet ?
Now we have - not a bad amount of footage for basically 2 and 2 half days' riding...

Thank you very much for your time and efforts!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #128
BSTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thanks ...

Thanks for taking the time to share the trip
I didn't know, that there are so many nice trails, towns and restaurants in the north of Portugal.
It's obviously worth visiting the places you have been to.

Ciao Gero
BSTT is offline   Reply With Quote