Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
84 octane

Hello folks!
As a negative side effect of an awesome ride almost to Machu Picchu I had to fill my 950 ADV with 84 octane, well, that is what they say, so maybe less.
First time I only filled some, hoping to get something better in Santa Maria.
After some kilometers the engine hesitated and stalled. I disconnected THE cable (do not know the name) and added a litre of good gas I had as a reserve. Ran fine (maybe even better than usually).
Of course I did not get anything better and filled it up with 84(?) in Santa Maria, rode all the way to Ollantaytambo ( about 120km) without any problems (got very wet and cold though), only to have the engine stalled right in front of the Hearts Cafe, which was my lunch stop.
I spread my clothes everywhere to dry while eating and checking internet. After an hour I tried to start the engine, with little success. I checked the tank, opened both and shook, neither heard or saw gas! Took a tuk tuk to the "gas station" and bought a gallon (of course 84!), no luck to fire it up. Took a collectivo to Urubamba to buy better gas, got 4 gallon of 90 octane and a bottle of octane booster, filled some of the latter into the tank and topped up both tanks ( and still have a gallon or so left, so there must have been something left before putting in the first gallon), battery was quite low by then, did not start, tried to pushstart, no success.
To start with the help of a car pulling me was more scary than succesfull..
Now the battery is on charge (it got drained by all the attemps to turn over, had already been abused in the fog, with extra lights and horn).
Should I always be able to hear the fuel pump when switching on the ignition or only if the carbs "ask"for it? Since it did not start I have not heard it..
What exactly happens when pulling the cable? is the fuel pump affected by this?
Should I do anything else before installing the battery and trying to start?
Thanks for your help!
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote