User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #11041
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,940
To follow up on my article from last night

David Casteu held his 10th position and is only 9 minutes behind Svitco in 9th! I think he will attack after reading his letter tonight.

Riaan van Niekerk maintained his position in 12th oveerall after getting 11th position in the stage. Moreover Michael Metge has some kind of issue and is now an hour behind him with no one in between. He was not able to catch Ivan Jakes in 11th who is now 30 minutes in front of him. He should bring a solid 12th in this year - not want he was looking for maybe but anything in the to top twenty is superhuman.

Chavo Salvatierra is just 9 minutes behind Metge in the same position as yesterday, 14th. I doubt he will be able to catch Metge because he is quit a bit faster than the two or three guys in front of him.

Laia Sanz comes in 20 miuntes after Henk in 16th overall after coming 12th today. Wow she continues to impress, but she will have to watch out: Chile's Claudio Rodriguez is just 6 minutes behind her, with two other guys after that 5 and 10 minutes after that. No mistakes for Laia please!

Robert Van Pelt (Sorry I called him Richard yesterday!) beat Brett again today, and established a very solid 1st position in the malle moto class. He came 21 today and is clearly someone to watch in the coming years given he is only 20 years old!! His overall position is 24th about half an hour behind Honda factory rider Pizzolito with another 30 minute gap behind him.

Brett Cummings came 38th today which is outstanding but I think he has wisely eased off the gas a bit to ensure a clean finish. What a hero and 2nd in malle moto class in 28th overall. He has 90 minutes to catch van Pelt which is now very unlikely indeed. Still to win 5/12 stages in his class is a fantastic achievement. Life will be dull after this!

Brett is 26 minutes behind Swedish colonel and semi-pro riderMiran Stanovik now, but Bianchi Prata another pro is catching up and is just 11 minutes behind him! Don't slow down tomorrow Brett! Regardless, what class!!!

Shane Diener came 31st today, repeating yesterdays great performance, and is still 39th but is now just 5 minutes away from beating fellow Aussie Allan Roberts for 38th and 2nd Aussie boy in! You biscuit!

Mongolian representative Boldbaatar Damdinkhorloo maintained 61st position despite coming 45th today. What a boytjie but unfortunately for him there are big gaps this far back. But he is only 7 seconds short of pipping Mexican Carlos Grazida for 60th. If he can finish tomorrow, his 3rd attempt, it will be the first time a Mongolian has finished the Dakar!

And finally Jose Ignacio Chivite has moved up one place in the overall to 77th but most importantly tomorrow he will finish the Dakar 2014 !!!

Only 78 people in the world have the opportunity finish the 2014 Dakar Rally tomorrow as riders, hopefully all of them make it somehow.

This years Dakar has gone so quickly but it has been a very entertaining one indeed. I think tomorrow somehow have its share of drama as well.

After that its only another 50 weeks of waiting.....
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #11042
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Even in the HRC camp? - I'm still catching up, but haven't see the usually Spanish biased (their pr guy is Spanish) but the HRC press wagon seems to be driven by BB also - it's gone very silent - probably still struggling to see how they are to spin this

Easy - Pizzolito was Helders wc, JBB's went up in smoke last week Now Javier was probably covering both of them and made a judgement call on the option to take - nothing wrong in that?
You are right, I should qualify: I would have liked to have been in the bivvy tonight except in the Honda and Mini campers...

Thanks for clearing that up about Pizzolito. But Bang Bang was a Honda guy after all .... so I'm not sure he is totally in the clear just yet...

I guess the only way we will maybe find out if one day over beers and barbeques at your place
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #11043
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmdz View Post
Barreda's exhaust

I can't help but wonder why he wouldn't have tried to open that up? Seems like that thin aluminum would have bent back by just using a wrench or tire iron as a lever.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #11044
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
Dakar 2014 - Official Event Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmdz View Post
Barreda's exhaust
You'd think that would be the first thing to fix - either cut the end off or put a small stick in their and reshape.

Unless its unobtitanium ;)
rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #11045
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

Bang Bang Barreda aims for first place in the Custom Bobber show 'n shine category.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #11046
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgo175 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgo175 View Post
Coma's pipe looked like that also a time or two..... I seen vid of him unloading on a two track. Coma and his bike looked like a pin wheel you throw darts at.
Well, thanks for letting us know that Marc Coma does crash too. And your point would be ?

Quote:
To follow up on my article from last night

After that its only another 50 weeks of waiting.....
Thx for the wrap up Neil. I think every single one of the finishers this Dakar deserve an additional memento saying "we were forged, not cast".

and the ones who were un-ceremoniously dropped from the starters list after canyon-gate will get a different one saying "we were borked".
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #11047
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Is there a link to watch Dakar live tomorrow?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #11048
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Is there a link to watch Dakar live tomorrow?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
live coverage was only in Bolivia. however you can watch any of the links here quite immediately after a stage is completed.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #11049
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Now, that's only a result of riding flat out for 2 weeks - it just melts
So, did you ask Sam why he didnt try to effect repairs after his exhaust got crushed ?

just so that we know what the facts were.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #11050
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,495
Talking

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #11051
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
You are right, I should qualify: I would have liked to have been in the bivvy tonight except in the Honda and Mini campers...

Thanks for clearing that up about Pizzolito. But Bang Bang was a Honda guy after all .... so I'm not sure he is totally in the clear just yet...

I guess the only way we will maybe find out if one day over beers and barbeques at your place
Yep a lot to be revealed - not sure if that knowledge will be out here, but if you (or any f5ers) are this way there's always beer in the fridge and gas in the barby
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #11052
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
So, did you ask Sam why he didnt try to effect repairs after his exhaust got crushed ?

just so that we know what the facts were.
Not had chance yet, but if I can let you know I will
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #11053
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,198
Cool2 Yeah... Coma has crashed before as well...

the occassion in question was DAKAR 2011... and as the footage in the link that was provided and commentary corroborate, he holed the radiator doing so. But - instead of continuing to ride the thing - he stopped immediately to fix the problem. It cost him some time (four or five minutes) BUT it avoided the situation where a possible compounded problem (overheating/lunch engine) could eventuate and effectively kept him in the hunt for the win (he and Cyril challenged each other the whole two weeks).

So back to parable that was related earlier in the week of "damage control". Yeah Coma crashes on occassion - so does Despres, but when they do, they have the discipline/routine to "manage" the situation.

Other riders (less experienced) we have witnessed in the past and present, tend to bounce up immediately, hit the start button - if the thing lights up - they bash it into gear and race off again.

It is usually only several, to hundereds of kilometers later, when the motorcycle starts to exhibit other problems (secondary induced ailments - caused from the accumulative damage of the first crash) that we se the heroic attempt to fix and rectify the problems... but to use F5's favourite analogy - by then the snowball has reached avalanche proportions. Too late.

And THAT is what really top level (multiple top ten finisher) riders like Coma, Despres, Casteu and Ullevålsäter have exhibited on numerous occassions. There are a number of shots from past DAKARs where any/all of the four named above have hit the deck. In nearly every situation, almost without exception - after they pick the bike up (an move it - if they are in the middle of the piste) is a quick damage control check.

Bam Bam - as someone named a few pages back - seems to be in a hurry to get on with it all the time. This does not seem very "mechanically sympathetic" to me, and could contribute to his title of "fastest rider between two accidents".

But he is young... maybe he will learn/adapt? HRC/Speedbrain may well be that patient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #11054
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Jordi's "blessed" ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadie1 View Post
I don't really know why, but not a lot of recognition on here for the performance of Jordi Viladoms.

Really ..... he has done a fantastic job. After watching him go about his business in the Serres Rally 2013 (which he won against some tough competition, on a Gas Gas!), this would appear to be yet another typically low profile, business like, professional couple of weeks from him ...... and he is running 2nd in the toughest race in the world ..... just like that ...... after a last minute bike switch.

I hope he gets the credit he deserves. What a ride. I think M Coma lucked out there. Could he have gotten a better support rider ..... I think not!

Go Jordi.
He has been Mr Consistent/stay out of the headlines in many ways this ride... hasn't he? Well during the race I mean.

There is a whole other ying/yang, Karma/reap what you sow, ironically bittersweet aspect to Viladom's Dakar 2014 story that goes back to the evnts involving Kurt's unfortunate departure, the subsequent GasGas defection of Jordi to KTM at the 11th hour... guardian angel stickers on the screen etc.

All of that aside... from stage 1 thru 12, Viladoms has ridden a slightly steadier than Alien pace, posted consistent results, with minimal delays/misstakes and as a result he is 180 km's or so away from a 2nd place podium, as water carrier to his factory KTM team mate, and (if all goes to plan) secure the #1 and #2 plates for the Mattighofen Maffia (again).

Yep, that qualifies as two weeks job well done, after a well calculated (if little risky) last minute career move. Good gamble paid off it would seem?

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #11055
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Eek just flicked on to dakar.com

hey wake up everyone... it's f5 rampant speculation, wild innuendo and baseless predition time...!!!

STAGE 13 is gonna be a REVERSE ORDER start....

Yep, the Marcster blaster Coma is last out the gate and racing to the flag with a buffer and all the soldiers in front of him.

Mudboy is 4th last off the line and has the two names he is chasing (for a podium spot) just immediately behind. Can Cyril pull out the @ 4 minutes he need and ride away from Pain to clinch 3rd step on podium from his Yamaha team mate? Well to do so, it is NOT just about who is quickest in an outright head to head race... Because they are BOTH going to have to pick off/pass back markers while doing so, if they are at even semi-Alien pace. Dust conditions? It's Chilé... what else?

This could turn into a GNCC like dash to the flag for the two Yamaha pilots?

Realistically Despres cannot catch the 15 minutes to Viladoms that he needs in the distance left (SS13 157 km's) to secure second - that is unless jordi have a problem or screws the pooch.

But the race for 3rd place could be well and truly ON!!!

Before admiring the hillsides brought to life by the houses in Valparaiso, the drivers will have to climb the hills planted with cacti during the rally's last special stage.
The pride and joy of crossing the finish line is drawing closer, but the statistics are formal: every year one or several drivers come unstuck during this final exercise so prudence is required! Even this close to the finish, vigilance is the competitors' best ally to ensure their presence on the final podium: the first one organised at night in the history of the Dakar.
La Serena > Valparaíso

Distance
Car
Truck
Bike
Quad
connection
DistanceSchedule
122 km
122 km
122 km
122 km
08:54 - 11:09
08:54 - 11:09
07:00 - 08:50
07:00 - 08:50
special stage
DistanceSchedule
157 km
157 km
157 km
157 km
11:19 - 13:24
11:19 - 13:24
09:00 - 11:05
09:00 - 11:05
connection
DistanceSchedule
256 km
256 km
256 km
256 km
13:34 - 16:20
13:34 - 16:20
11:15 - 14:00
11:15 - 14:00

• Car/Bike/Truck/Quad

Map

• Car/Bike/Truck/Quad

Quote:

Quote: