Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #11056
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,025
This last stage could be a formality. However, in light of the gaps at the top of the general standings in the car race, for the third place in the bike category or for victory in the truck race, it will most likely be a sprint finish on which mishaps must be avoided. This will result in 157 kilometres of tension, and final effort, before a night-time finish in the streets of Valparaiso, whose literal translation is ‘the Valley of Paradise…”, aptly named for the winners of the Dakar 2014.

dakar.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #11057
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Pissed I can't believe the decision ---Mini's

I heard the speech attempting to justify the decision to not allow Peterhansel and Roma to duke it out over the last two stages-----UNBELIEVABLE! THIS IS CONTRARY TO THE WHOLE SPIRIT OF THE DAKAR. I would think Monster Energy would withdraw sponsorship and that Roma would consider that a slap in his face after his effort to win the Dakar legitimately---and that Peterhansel, pro that he is, as well as Roma would be looking to drive for somebody else next year. Whomever made that decision had his head so far up his ass that he probably does not realize that he has violated the very spirit of the Dakar Race ----and I would think that the Dakar organization would be incensed.
I for one will never touch another can of Monster Energy Drink in protest of this CHICKENSHIT DECISION.

What a revolting end to what would have been one of the greatest contests in Dakar history---------------
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #11058
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
hey wake up everyone... it's f5 rampant speculation, wild innuendo and baseless predition time...!!!

STAGE 13 is gonna be a REVERSE ORDER start....

Yep, the Marcster blaster Coma is last out the gate and racing to the flag with a buffer and all the soldiers in front of him.

Mudboy is 4th last off the line and has the two names he is chasing (for a podium spot) just immediately behind. Can Cyril pull out the @ 4 minutes he need and ride away from Pain to clinch 3rd step on podium from his Yamaha team mate? Well to do so, it is NOT just about who is quickest in an outright head to head race... Because they are BOTH going to have to pick off/pass back markers while doing so, if they are at even semi-Alien pace. Dust conditions? It's Chilé... what else?

This could turn into a GNCC like dash to the flag for the two Yamaha pilots?

Realistically Despres cannot catch the 15 minutes to Viladoms that he needs in the distance left (SS13 157 km's) to secure second - that is unless jordi have a problem or screws the pooch.

Doesn't this imply that the ASO expect them to hold position for the ceremonial ride in?

And 7th from last - we have..................................... the stage winner
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #11059
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

^^^ To take the rose coloured glasses off for a while.

VW, Mitsubishi, Citröen, Puegeot (and even Porsche IIRC?) have executed exactly the same type of team orders in the past, several times.

While I agree with the "competition sprit" of the DAKAR, Roma vs Peterhansel and all the rest... the reason for the "chickenshit" decision has to do with consolidating a position that the team and SPONSOR's have spent millions of dollar and years to get to.

It would be romantic to think that Roma and Peterhansel square off in a drag to the flag... but if one or both wadded up in the process, that would be a commercial catastrophy... much less a sporting one.

They are both paid drivers, the (should) adhere to the request of their employer. Just like a quarterback who takes a knee to run down the clock, or a pitcher who throw a walk, in order to avoid the batter running in another from 3rd base.

It's not sporting... but at this level (regardless what the PR teams would like to spin it) the DAKAR is business - not sport.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-18-2014, 12:21 AM   #11060
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,514
Considering the positions and the loose canon, I hope this doesn't turn into another ASO disaster, it could be dangerous out there on the overtaking front
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #11061
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Letting the loose cannon go wild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Doesn't this imply that the ASO expect them to hold position for the ceremonial ride in?

And 7th from last - we have..................................... the stage winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Considering the positions and the loose canon, I hope this doesn't turn into another ASO disaster, it could be dangerous out there on the overtaking front
Okay... let's get a "side bet" going...

How many scalps does Bam Bam get in 157 km's...???

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #11062
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
Did BBB reseed 16th?

Reverse order! Yes that makes it even better!!!

Are the same time differences applied? 1-10 2 mins apart?
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 AM   #11063
Linhares
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
How many scalps does Bam Bam get in 157 km's...???
A lot, I think!
Linhares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #11064
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
So... let me see if I've got this right...? (probably not)

When you cartwheel the bike, to the point where you knock the rear guard off, pretzel the navigation tower and the subsequent vibrations while continuing to press on, cause the aluminium staunchons of the cockpit framework to sheer and chisel through the wiring...

... that's an electrical fault then is it? Riiiiiiiight.
There's an old joke about HRC reporting an 'electrical fault' when the engine's thrown a rod and the piston's come up and smashed the spark plug... so maybe.

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #11065
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Did BBB reseed 16th?

Reverse order! Yes that makes it even better!!!

Are the same time differences applied? 1-10 2 mins apart?
It would seem that the start order for the FINAL STAGE SS13 is in REVERSE ORDER of the General classification (overall) as at end Stage 12... not the SCRATCH RESULT of SS 12 (as is usual for a normal day re-start).

Here is the start list the last 20 riders to leave the DSS on todays SS13;

7409:36:00- -

7609:37:00- -

3109:38:00- -

3909:39:00- -

5209:40:00- -

5009:41:00- -

2809:42:00- -

4009:43:00- -

1709:44:00- -

3009:45:00- -

1609:46:00- -

909:56:00- -

1909:59:00- -

2610:02:00- -

310:05:00- -

1510:08:00- -

710:11:00- -

110:14:00- -

610:17:00- -

410:20:00- -

210:23:00- -

From pos. 58 to pos. 68, there is a one minute start gap between each rider.

The riders ahead of them (pos. 1 thru pos. 57) each have 30 second start intervals... not "two at a time" as on other stages.

As you can see, between pos. 68 and pos. 69 the ASO have put in a 10 minute "dust gap" in the starting order... and the last 10 riders have 3 minutes each between them.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #11066
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 615
Wow, from the quickest catch up on Stage 11 to my longest catch up on Stage 12!! Yikes!!

Such a busy day!! Where to even start?! I'll keep it simple.

I distinctly remember two quotes from the aliens just a few days ago. Coma saying how his race was not going to change now that he had a comfortable lead. He would continue to run at his normal comfortable pace. Riding within his limits. Despres saying that even though he was down in 7th, he would continue to ride his pace. Both saying it is a long rally where things can change at any moment.

This is why both of these guys have won this rally for the past 8 years. Seriously. They ride fast when they need to, they ride tactically when they need to. They are both EXTREMELY mechanically sympathetic to their bikes.

If you throw your bike down at speed enough times earlier on in the rally, IT WILL FAIL YOU later on. Maybe Barreda's crash was in fact nothing he did per se. The fact is, he threw the bike down many times in stages previously. Weakening and damaging pieces not so easily inspected during an overnight bivy. Stress points develop into hairline cracks, which develop into bigger problems, which result in something going bang when you least expect it.

The real bottom line is, Honda PAYS Barreda to bring that bike home in 2nd place. Not to take unnecessary risks on the penultimate stage. You think if Cyril could take 40 minutes out of Coma he wouldn't have done that already? Why would Barreda think he could?? Youthful exuberance is a great thing, but it must be tempered before he will be successful in this game. The two at the top didn't get there by accident, nor by crashing out all the time.

Jordi Villadoms is a perfect example of cool heads prevailing. He knew where he was in third, with over an hour to make up to Barreda and he went out and rode his pace. BAM! In second place now with one short stage to go. You think he doesn't know how this game is played? He has been taking notes from Coma and Despres for a while now...

Anyhoo, Bring on Stage 13. It will be a good race between Despres and Pain. And of course the drama in the cars and trucks to boot!!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #11067
DaCat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
I would think Monster Energy would withdraw sponsorship...
Even the controversy is good for the sponsors ... they are ahead of Red Bull and smiling all the way to the bank... as was said... it's all business!
DaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #11068
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #11069
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:40 AM   #11070
bearorso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
#126 Nijen Twilhaar - a rider towards the tail-end who was still at the ASS when Barreda finally made it in.

Jx

edit: dang! - 205'd by Armageddon! - thought you were still busy joshing with Lgo ;o)
He may have earned himself a significant "discount" on the price of a new Rally Honda, for next years race! At least, I certainly hope so.

So much hysteria and fevered imaginings about Barreda. I put this to you - get off your bike - if you do actually ride one - and walk away from it, without putting the side stand down. It, falls over. Now, a 'wag' could say that is a bikes natural state.....

They / we are riding inherently unstable machines, on wildly changeable surfaces. These blokes, are doing hundreds of kilometers at a time. That any get through in one piece, astounds me.

Have a good squizz at footage, of anyone - note that the bikes routinely hit rocks, soft sand patches, wash outs, the simplest of wheel ruts, etc, etc, etc. And skip out, get squirrely. Cripes, the other night, I saw - I think it was Pain, but I also saw CPs Yam do a big 'sidestep' - scooting along in the sand, around a bit of a curve, then it hit 'something', for the back end to viciously kick out. Luckily, he was standing up, and he did the time honoured "what the f**k was that" look back over his shoulder, as we riders do.

Barredas luck ran out. Bummer for him. I do hope he wins one, one day. I believe he can, and will.

I've seen innumerable bikes flying along in this years coverage, missing bits - rear guards seem to be a 'classic' this year, it seems every second bike has one missing, me it Honda, KTM, Yam through to Lambretta - yes, I know there's not one out there.......

Some get through without prangs - rare / lucky individuals. Neduro did last year ???????? Although, I vaguely remember he ( or someone else) not counting "laugh in" prangs. I can very much relate to that "that's not a prang" ethos, as with trashed knees, I let my bike hit the ground, instead of doing , what for other people would be, a simple, basic footplant. My poor bike , I don't know why (well, if ) it loves me!

I went for a 60 K single track ride today. Had 3 "non prangs", and one, " genuine prang". That one, happened at would have been lucky to be 30 /40KPH. Trouble was, it was amongst rocks, rocks, and more rocks - rocks and sand, are my life.... Damage done = 1 pair of new Twin Tube Renthals, bent to buggery, RH side BB,throttle tube, muffler and RH side plastic. All, dead meat . Well, I'm a pragmatist - the plastic will stay on - new plastic, will only get torn to shreds the next ride.

You have a prang - consider yourself to be lucky that your bikes rideable / you can continue on. My favorite Orthpod, about 35 tears ago, said to me the human body evolved to take little more than walking pace impacts, anything more, and you should consider yourself lucky. He was a very cool Doctor, who had very little time form most others in his profession, who , for the most part, slag motorcycling.

One 'result' of his prang, was me finally seeing a pic. of the Rally 450 Honda Engine - shown on page 19 of the Cliff Notes thread. I'd not gone looking particularly hard to see what it was. A Twin Cam, completely different engine to the existing CRF Rs and Xs. I wonder if it will appear elsewhere - as in, used in this years MXGP series. A whole new 450 engine for Honda. It does lookrelatively 'big', and the existing single cam 450 Honda engine is small, simple, light and pretty reliable - clutch not withstanding. So, maybe for use elsewhere? Interesting to see what happens.

It comes down to : these blokes / blokettes, are daily, doing big Ks, and any split seconds inattention / distraction / event can bring them undone - on the 'transport' sections too. Cripes, I crawl out of my air conditioned van, at the end of a trip of a few hundred KMs, barely able to move - these people, are doing it hard. Hey, they are just riders / drivers to me - I'm no "fanboy", and do not hold them to great heights, but I do have respect for them all, in "having a go".
bearorso is offline   Reply With Quote