ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #76
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Oddometer: 26
Hi Black Hills... I believe the short smoke wind screen I got is considered an R model alternative, but it does mount right up. That is the one that I added some rubber washer shims under the lower screws to decrease the angle a bit more to lower the clean air zone to below the bottom of my helmet.

Definitely a huge improvement over the stock screen but not quite perfect, say 95%. I drive my self crazy sometimes getting things they way I want them, but it's my nature and she is my new baby, so I will fuss with it until it is right for me. I may take a band saw to the stock screen just so I can eliminate the reverse curl at the top and see the effect. Thankfully, the replacement cost is pretty reasonable. I can't use it anyway, so no loss if the experiment "fails".

I had an Aprilia Falco for some years and it had the best aerodynamics of any bike I ever owned... maybe my favorite bike ever, but the riding position was getting too hard for me to sustain... arms, back, neck, etc.. The 990 was a whole lot better for my body, just took a while to sort out the turbulence issues.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #77
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyarnall View Post

The fly by wire throttle has a pretty stiff return spring, which I am at a loss to understand the reasoning for, but the connection to the motor is perfect and not at all sensitive to "throttle jiggle". I intend to fashion some sort of mechanism to counter act the spring to lessen the wrist effort, but in truth, it did not really cause me any discomfort over the several hours I rode it. My early cycles, (old Harleys), had push - pull throttle cables with no spring return at all, (pre Federal standards), and I consider the hard spring returns of today to be ridiculous, but that is another story. I like to be able to rest my hands and even remove them from the grips briefly every now and then. Impossible with the current throttle spring, which appears to be largely tamper proof.
I moved my HDB setup from my 990 before selling it. The bar risers and the Kaoko throttle lock were a part of the setup. The Kaoko solves the problem you mention above.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 AM   #78
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
My nephew is a new KTM dealer, (Solid Performance), in Downingtown, PA, not far from Philadelphia. ........

Then there is the issue of speedo error. Both the demo and my new bike, (yes it is sitting in the barn waiting for good weather), read optimistically by quite a bit... 6-7 mph at an honest 60 mph (GPS). I fixed that problem on my 990 with a Healtech recalibrator, but the 1190 is CAN bus so that device is not an option. I am hoping to learn that there is a way to use the internal software to make corrections. TBD. Why a motorcycle with 21st century technology is delivered with such an out of whack instrument dumbfounds me. This is a very high performance motorcycle. It needs an accurate speedometer..........
nice summary!

when I was at my dealer a couple of weeks ago, he had my bike connected to their computer/analyzer and I was quietly watching him scanning through the various menus where settings on the bike can be changed.... in one of the menus I briefly saw an entry called "speed calibration" or something to the effect - I was more concerned about my problem at that stage, so never asked him about that.

Seeing your nephew is a KTM dealer and assuming he has all the KTM computer stuff, could you perhaps ask him to check for that and report back here?
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #79
Perljam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
[QUOTE=pyarnall;23238401]My nephew is a new KTM dealer, (Solid Performance), in Downingtown, PA, not far from Philadelphia. He managed to get a factory 1190 Adv demo on loan a few months ago so I made the five hour drive down from Upstate NY to visit and get a ride on the demo bike.....

Thanks for the comprehensive review. Still concerned about possibility of electronics leaving me high & dry in the middle of nowhere. Guess there's only one way to find out!
Perljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #80
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Re the diagnostics tool for recalibrating the speedo... I just emailed my nephew to see if he can check on that. Being a new dealer he has only had the diagnostic tool a short time and the big street bikes are a bit of a new entity for him. He is an engineer by training and a VERY quick study so it won't be long before he is fully expert. (He is already a master of suspension and the the classic KTM dirt world engine wise. Yeah, a plug from an admiring uncle, but it is a fact!). I will report back here when I can confirm the speedo calibration issue.

I am also going to research and make inquiries about the compatibility of Tune ECU (with the 1190 Adv) and perhaps having access to that feature from there. I have used TuneECU on both my 990 and 690 many times with great success as far as mapping goes.

Perljam... re your concern about the electronics... I appreciate the gut concern about the electronics, but that is long behind me. In my youth I carried a point file with me everywhere I rode. I spent as much time fixing my bikes as I did riding them. Fast forward to today... I have never experienced a "computer" failure on any vehicle I have ever owned, and that covers a lot of miles and machines, four wheels and two. They may be the most reliable part of the modern motorcycle. Granted, if one truly fails, you can't fix it in the field, but that is true for a blown coil or water pump, too.

I had one forced stop on my 690E on the CDR two summers ago. It was electrical in nature and I was not close to anything as far as help goes. I feared the "computer", but it turned out to be a fatigue broken wire to the coil. In other words, a "mechanical" failure and easily fixed. I needed a little rest at the time anyway. The upside of FI? It works perfectly no matter the altitude. In fact, riding around in CO at 6-10K' the 690 routinely gets phenomenal mileage.. 70 mpg.. all thanks to FI. It doesn't make as much power at 13K, but it runs perfectly. I have no interest in carbs what so ever. Been there, done that.

As far as the 1190 goes, my only concern would be, "can I make the payments?" Go for it. You won't look back
Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #81
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,646
This is a great thread. I have not gotten to ride the 1190's, but I am thinking about putting a deposit on an R. Crazy?

I know I want and ADV bike again. I just don't know if the KTM is the right one. Lots to choose from, with benefits and drawbacks to all of them.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #82
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

FifthCircle.... the dealers are supposed to have demo bikes that they can't sell for a certain amount of time. They want (experienced) riders to try them. I would suggest that you try to get a demo ride on the standard and the R, then decide. The standard has the on the fly suspension options... one up, two up, luggage, no luggage, and damping options... street, sport, enduro... and they really work. Those features are not on the R. The R is taller in the saddle, too and unless you are really running in the tough stuff, it just seems like not a very good trade off IMO. And the standard is a bit cheaper.

You can still mount the aluminum skid plate and all the other goodies if you so desire. I thought I wanted the R and lusted for the orange frame, but after riding the demo standard I was hooked. The electronic integration of ride, traction control, and ABS options is simply amazingly good.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #83
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Just got my Grey 1190 and I am amazed, it feels lighter than my 950 and turns much sharper. Fueling is very nice it feels more like a well set up carbed bike than fuel injection, no sharp cut off as it idles down. The throttle is to stiff and there is some heat under the seat, I just ordered a wings short so that may help. The heat is not really that bad, rode about 50 miles today in 80 temps (SoCal winter) and if your moving its not a big deal. Seat felt good also. Took the canister out of from under the rest seat and the tool kit fits in there now. Maintenance looks way easier than the 950 also which is nice. fit and finish is very nice except for the little glove box in the dash thats a joke! Can't find out how to adjust the headlight, it's a tad low, they are sending me the manual didn't have it with the bike. The electronic adjustments are so easy and really work, the brakes and motor are just incredible! Only problem is my face hurts from all the grinning I have been doing for the last two days.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #84
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I installed the Adventure kit and the orange crash bars that are stock on the R model. The accent on the bike is gorgeous and I love the overall styling of the 1190 Adv. A matter of personal taste to be sure, but a great looking bike IMO.

What is contained in the Adventure kit? And what color did you get?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #85
outridingagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
FifthCircle.... the dealers are supposed to have demo bikes that they can't sell for a certain amount of time. They want (experienced) riders to try them. I would suggest that you try to get a demo ride on the standard and the R, then decide.
The dealer in Jacksonville has the Demo bike (Euro model) they gave the dealers at the release. Only they are not Demoing it, they just want to sell it.

They have not received any R models and said they wont until at least March?

2010 BMW R1200 GSA
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
outridingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #86
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

1190 headlight

Doug.... to adjust the headlight you must first lower the plastic circular shield that fills the hole where the forks rotate in the fairing. This is the shield that the horn is mounted to. There are two screws roughly in line with the forks tubes in recessed holes.

With that down out of the way, you will be able to see, (mirror and flashlight), a knob that is X shaped below the lowest (high beam) bulb. That is the up and down. Turn clockwise to raise the beam, counter clockwise to lower.

The book setting is to have the top of the beam 2" below the vertical height of the low beam (top bulb) center when projected on a wall 16' away. Done with the load on the bike that is anticipated, driver, passenger, luggage, whatever. Note that this adjustment is for the LOW beam only. The High beam comes along for the ride

Obviously, you can put it where ever you want, but too high is surely going to get you the ire of oncoming traffic.. Feel free to PM me and I can send you PDFs of the relevant manual pages if you like.

On the speedo calibration front... I emailed Tom at TuneECU to confirm if the software was compatible with the '14 Adv. His reply... "TuneECU is NOT compatible with CAN-bus. To the current models of the KTM, we have yet no results." No word back from my nephew yet as far as the KTM diagnostic tool capabilities. He is busier than a one armed paper hanger so there may be a delay, but I will find out eventually.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #87
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Thanks for the info on the headlight adjustment!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #88
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
What is contained in the Adventure kit? And what color did you get?
Pat... my 1190 is the orange version. There are two kits available and I chose the R kit which has the Tourtech aluminum bags and mounts, the LED running lights, and the aluminum skid plate. I swapped for the orange crash bars, (instead of the black), which go really nicely with the orange panels. They would look good on the gray version as well. The crash bar install eliminates the small gray triangular plastic panels that cover the bottom of the fuel tan.

I swapped out the stock clear wind screen for the short gray R wind screen.

Presently trying to get a Kisan Path Blazer headlight modulator installed, but they have yet to get me one that works with the CAN-bus. They will figure it out at some point. I have been riding with headlight modulators on all my bikes since they were invented some thirty years ago. Saved my arse to many times to count. I often turn it off in stop and go traffic or if I am riding with friends and not in the lead, but other wise I want to be seen, and they do that really well.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #89
pyarnall
Adventurer reborn

Though not necessarily the most highly respected bike mag on the planet their recent review of the 1190 Adv rather runs out of superlatives. Google "cycle world KTM 1190 review".

They find the seat a bit 'soft for all day riding and the wind screen buffet free'... Opposite of my experience. Maybe there really is an parallel universe! Regardless, interesting read if you are considering one with out the benefit of a demo ride to convince you. :-))
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #90
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Though not necessarily the most highly respected bike mag on the planet their recent review of the 1190 Adv rather runs out of superlatives. Google "cycle world KTM 1190 review".

They find the seat a bit 'soft for all day riding and the wind screen buffet free'... Opposite of my experience. Maybe there really is an parallel universe! Regardless, interesting read if you are considering one with out the benefit of a demo ride to convince you. :-))
hmm.. after 200 miles yesterday I find their comments accurate? I am 6'2, 225#. I can feel the seat pan after about an hour in the saddle, but setting the windscreen on my R model to the highest, most forward position made thing buffet free for the Arai XD?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote