Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #11311
Joosto
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the Dakar thread on ADV. Loving it.

I found this on enduro.nl about Twilhaars towing adventure.
Google translate is quick and a bit rough but you get the idea.

"Sorry to call so late , but something came up." Those were the first words of Bas Nijen Twilhaar when he made the daily telephone call after midnight to the Netherlands . " But it was for a good cause.
Near the end of the special I found some Honda parts. I thought this is not right. I saw no other bike and no rider. But at the finish was a battered Honda of Joan Barreda . The bike was not running anymore. I could understand that because just about all the wiring was in half and the front and back were badly damaged. That must have been a huge crash .
The Honda did not start. With jumper cables from onlookers with cars they tried to get the engine going again but could not. He asked me if I wanted to tow him. I actually have not thought and immediately said yes. Little did I know that it was going to be 350 km towing.
I had a tow rope with me and have some experience with towing in the Czech Republic . A tow rope to the footpeg and then go.
Barreda wanted me to go fast, preferably faster than 100 km / h but the entire Honda management in three vans drove up behind us, panicked . Slowly , slowly they cried.
But Barreda wanted as fast as possible. The Spaniard was not easy because he had to steer with one hand and hold the navigation stuff with the other hand . At one point the front of the Honda broke off but we stayed upright. The people at Honda have loaded all the broken stuff in the van and Barreda was completely in pieces.
He has thanked me a hundred times , just as the team led by Honda . Only Henk Knuiman later in the camp, was not so happy . Had just let him stand , which had gained me a place he said. But I do not believe that Henk was serious.
After everything was cleaned up , we could continue on with the Honda vans behind us . Halfway on the connection , I think after almost 200 km, there was a checkpoint on the way . We missed it, by all the consternation . Luckily I saw it before it was too late. We went off the highway and back to a gas station to get that checkpoint . I have absolutely no penalty , and I want to keep it that way.
After more than five hours we reached the camp together.
The people at Honda have thanked me and said that they will drop by tomorrow. I will see. In itself, I thought it was a normal act to help someone.
And it 's something different. "
Joosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #11312
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319

Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #11313
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosto View Post
Near the end of the special I found some Honda parts. I thought this is not right.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #11314
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
So where do you reckon I'll be riding to in almost exactly 1 year's time?
Ahah The man is here!

You really want to know? I think they will start in Ecuador go all the way through Peru, into Bolivia and finish in Buenos Aires.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #11315
ioan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Well well well...

Nasser leading the cars, Nani Roma +0:24, Peterhansel +0:56 at WP1
ioan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #11316
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
I'm lurking.....and working / planning my next adventure all at the same time

(SNIP)

As for Dakar 2014, I wish everyone the best of luck for today, those guys have earnt it! I don't want single any individuals out, they all deserve a huge clap in my mind, every single one that made the START of the race!

Lyndon
Pyn,

It was pretty tough watching your progress the last stage from behind a keyboard last year as well

And for anyone wanting to relive a bit of the experience - here's the RallyRaidio call in

http://rallyraidio.net/2013-dakar-18...-at-the-finish

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #11317
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 654
Woohoo-Way to go Mike Johnson!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #11318
Tomas Kocanda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
126 is great guy, seriously example of TRUE DAKAR RIDER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMW R1150GS Adventure (RR modified), R1200GS Custom, XV1600 Custom...
www.touratech.cz
Tomas Kocanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #11319
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Cars overall at WP1:
Roma
Peterhansel +00:00:06

Also: Despres at WP3.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #11320
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,207
In the AUITO title chase right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioan View Post
Well well well...

Nasser leading the cars, Nani Roma +0:24, Peterhansel +0:56 at WP1

But overall is the only interesting f5act;

Pos.NameMakeTimeVariationPenalty
1304ROMA (ESP), PÉRIN (FRA)MINI049:15:4300:00:00
2300PETERHANSEL (FRA), COTTRET (FRA)MINI049:15:4900:00:0600:00:00
3301AL-ATTIYAH (QAT), CRUZ (ESP)MINI050:09:0000:53:1700:00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #11321
ioan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Despres arrived at WP3, waiting to see about Pain
ioan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #11322
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:

"Sorry to call so late , but something came up." Those were the first words of Bas Nijen Twilhaar when he made the daily telephone call after midnight to the Netherlands . " But it was for a good cause.
Near the end of the special I found some Honda parts. I thought this is not right. I saw no other bike and no rider. But at the finish was a battered Honda of Joan Barreda . The bike was not running anymore. I could understand that because just about all the wiring was in half and the front and back were badly damaged. That must have been a huge crash .
The Honda did not start. With jumper cables from onlookers with cars they tried to get the engine going again but could not. He asked me if I wanted to tow him. I actually have not thought and immediately said yes. Little did I know that it was going to be 350 km towing.
I had a tow rope with me and have some experience with towing in the Czech Republic . A tow rope to the footpeg and then go.
Barreda wanted me to go fast, preferably faster than 100 km / h but the entire Honda management in three vans drove up behind us, panicked . Slowly , slowly they cried.
But Barreda wanted as fast as possible. The Spaniard was not easy because he had to steer with one hand and hold the navigation stuff with the other hand . At one point the front of the Honda broke off but we stayed upright. The people at Honda have loaded all the broken stuff in the van and Barreda was completely in pieces.
He has thanked me a hundred times , just as the team led by Honda . Only Henk Knuiman later in the camp, was not so happy . Had just let him stand , which had gained me a place he said. But I do not believe that Henk was serious.
After everything was cleaned up , we could continue on with the Honda vans behind us . Halfway on the connection , I think after almost 200 km, there was a checkpoint on the way . We missed it, by all the consternation . Luckily I saw it before it was too late. We went off the highway and back to a gas station to get that checkpoint . I have absolutely no penalty , and I want to keep it that way.
The people at Honda have thanked me and said that they will drop by tomorrow. I will see. In itself, I thought it was a normal act to help someone.
Hi Joosto!Welcome to the F5irehose!

What an awesome 1st post - Thank you!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #11323
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
Woohoo-Way to go Mike Johnson!

woo hoo!

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #11324
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post

Also: Despres at WP3.
He has accelerated compared to Helder and Pryzg from WP2

Someone pass me more popcorn... I'm outta fingernails again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #11325
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:

Been tied up this afternoon and just checked in and what a read
too old is offline   Reply With Quote