ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
WantToRideMoar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Arizonans: OHV process for a new bike for dummies?

I just bought a 2013 Tiger 800XC from GoAZ in Scottsdale last week.

I want to have it registered OHV and take advantage of the $30 registration rate rather than paying the $275 registration the state wants for a conventional motorcycle.

GoAZ was hesitant to do this, then researched it and said I could, but that they couldn't print me a temporary tag. I paid them $37 in registration fees on closing.

I have nothing in the mail at this point.

Assuming the worst and that I need to restart the whole process over again, what is the step-by-step process to register a brand new virgin never registered before vehicle in AZ and pay the OHV rate rather than the regular motorcycle rate? I'm tired of waiting and having zero paperwork to protect myself.

I can't seem to find anything on the AZDOT/dmv website, or on service arizona.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I can tell you this, I wouldn't waste my time with the DMV without first trying a third part authorized DMV.. try L&J motor vehicle services. They are close to GOAZ and can probably get you on the road.

14770 N 78th Way # A
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(480) 368-9933

Ahh noticed you are in mesa... there is another place on Scottsdale road and McDowell that is good too. The Lady that runs the place is very knowledgeable.

Action Auto Title
1911 North Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
(480) 970-0586

Good Luck.
bhorocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,045
all you need to do it reg it as MC primarily off road, let them know you want that right from the start.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
I just bought a 2013 Tiger 800XC from GoAZ in Scottsdale last week.

I want to have it registered OHV and take advantage of the $30 registration rate rather than paying the $275 registration the state wants for a conventional motorcycle.

GoAZ was hesitant to do this, then researched it and said I could, but that they couldn't print me a temporary tag. I paid them $37 in registration fees on closing.

I have nothing in the mail at this point.

Assuming the worst and that I need to restart the whole process over again, what is the step-by-step process to register a brand new virgin never registered before vehicle in AZ and pay the OHV rate rather than the regular motorcycle rate? I'm tired of waiting and having zero paperwork to protect myself.

I can't seem to find anything on the AZDOT/dmv website, or on service arizona.
You confuse me... In AZ they generally don't mail stuff. They even print your new TITLE on the spot. Did you actually go to the MVD ?

You go in... tell them what you want... they charge you... hand you plates and stickers and send you on your way.

Take the title to the MVD... Tell them that you just bought the vehicle... and you want the PRIMARILY OFF ROAD plate and registration. You will get a license plate that looks just like a MC plate but it will have the letters RV on it instead.

Get caught driving around town and you'll wish you had bought the MC plate instead.

Guests are encouraged.

Jeff aka BOLT screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 09:16 PM
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
You confuse me... In AZ they generally don't mail stuff. They even print your new TITLE on the spot. Did you actually go to the MVD ?

You go in... tell them what you want... they charge you... hand you plates and stickers and send you on your way.

Take the title to the MVD... don't waste $30 on some third party clowns. Tell MVD that you just bought the vehicle... and you want the PRIMARILY OFF ROAD plate and registration. You will get a license plate that looks just like a MC plate but it will have the letters RV on it instead.

Get caught driving around town and you'll wish you had bought the MC plate instead.
Mostly true. You don't get an rv plate when you register primarily off road. You get a motorcycle plate, pay 25.00 for the ohv sticker, and it makes your registration drop to like 7.00. It's around 30.00 total for registration and ohv sticker when you claim primarily off road.
And you can definately ride around town with it. It's primarily off road, not exclusively off road.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Mostly true. You don't get an rv plate when you register primarily off road. You get a motorcycle plate, pay 25.00 for the ohv sticker, and it makes your registration drop to like 7.00. It's around 30.00 total for registration and ohv sticker when you claim primarily off road.
And you can definately ride around town with it. It's primarily off road, not exclusively off road.
It doesn't mean you can go buy milk and pick up your dry cleaning. You are allowed to connect OHV trails with it. Enforcement is up to the cop of the moment of course.

MVD was very clear when I asked the dif between primarily ON vs OFF road plates. I was told twice that the Primarily off road use plate would have the RV vs MC in the numbers. But I opted for MC.

Guests are encouraged.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
2 SPOT
wannabe

thats not true jeff, whomever you spoke to didnt know what they were talking about.

RV plates are OFF ROAD only, non reg, its just a means to have something to stick the OHV sticker to.

primary off road gives you the MC plate with the option to purchase OHV sticker and reduced reg.

primary on road gives you the MC plate w/o the option for reduced reg and OHV sticker.

however i have seen all kinds of crap,,, you prolly have the OHV sticker and reduced reg with your primary on road checked box right?

thats not right but they do it cause not even the MVD knows whats going on,,, did you know that factory dual sport bikes dont need the OHV tag and the law cant give you a ticket for it,,, but try to argue that after you get a ticket, nobody knows the laws they are serving.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
WantToRideMoar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
OK, what if I don't have the title because I financed a portion of the bike and the title is in lein with the lender?
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #9
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
thats not true jeff, whomever you spoke to didnt know what they were talking about.

RV plates are OFF ROAD only, non reg, its just a means to have something to stick the OHV sticker to.

primary off road gives you the MC plate with the option to purchase OHV sticker and reduced reg.

primary on road gives you the MC plate w/o the option for reduced reg and OHV sticker.

however i have seen all kinds of crap,,, you prolly have the OHV sticker and reduced reg with your primary on road checked box right?

thats not right but they do it cause not even the MVD knows whats going on,,, did you know that factory dual sport bikes dont need the OHV tag and the law cant give you a ticket for it,,, but try to argue that after you get a ticket, nobody knows the laws they are serving.
Mine are all MC plates... primary on road use... and the additional OHV sticker to boot. I never cheaped out to game the system. Primarily OFFROAD isn't for doing errands and cruising about town. It's to drive from one OHV area to another directly. They were very clear about this. What the cops do or don't do to enforce it I cannot say.

I don't know why a dual sport would be exempt from paying OHV fees. Even a Jeeper that wants to play off road in AZ has to buy an OHV sticker to go on his street plate. There is nothing about dual sports that changes how AZ collects OHV fees. It is never added into the reg fees for a plated vehicle car, truck or bike... even on renewals it is paid separately.

So I can only tell what I was told. Two different ladies at two different offices gave me the same info. I've registered and titled 7 vehicles in AZ in the past 18 months.

Not saying you are wrong... just saying it don't logic out the way you are splainin it to me given what I have seen personally.

Guests are encouraged.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #10
tmac13
SomeCallHimTim

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
Even a Jeeper that wants to play off road in AZ has to buy an OHV sticker to go on his street plate.
Not true. I own a FJ cruiser and go off road all the time. There is no requirement and no possible way to get an OHV sticker for my FJ. The state of AZ will not even sell me one for my FJ.
From the AZ State Parks website

I own a truck and would like to purchase the OHV Decal to help support the program. Can I do that?
  • No. At this time the OHV Decal can be purchased only for qualifying vehicles, which are designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain, with an unladen weight of 1,800 pounds or less.
The links below can answer all your questions.
OHV registration info for AZ
http://azstateparks.com/OHV/registration.html
www.azgfd.gov/
Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,361
Quote:
I'm tired of waiting and having zero paperwork to protect myself.

Then you should have just registered the bike in the proper manner.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac13 View Post
Not true. I own a FJ cruiser and go off road all the time. There is no requirement and no possible way to get an OHV sticker for my FJ. The state of AZ will not even sell me one for my FJ.
From the AZ State Parks website

I own a truck and would like to purchase the OHV Decal to help support the program. Can I do that?
  • No. At this time the OHV Decal can be purchased only for qualifying vehicles, which are designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain, with an unladen weight of 1,800 pounds or less.
The links below can answer all your questions.
OHV registration info for AZ
http://azstateparks.com/OHV/registration.html
www.azgfd.gov/
Thanks fellers... It sounds like there was no reason for them to sell me an OHV sticker at all since I paid for a street plate for my bikes. I was impressed with the AZ MVD. They were so sure of the rules compared to what I had experienced my whole life at CA DMV.

Apparently they are just as screwed up... just have more confidence about giving bad info and charging unnecessary fees.

Any reason I shouldn't just let the OHV tags expire going forward ?

Guests are encouraged.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
I just through this on my DR650:
https://forums.craigslist.org/?all=N...4&forumID=1947
Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
2 SPOT
wannabe

welcome to the federal system jeff, its screwed up everywhere because of mis information. the ladies at the DMV had the right idea but this is a problem with multiple jurisdictions and rules not quite jiving with each other.

one of the OHV requirements say UNDER 1800 lbs, jeeps trucks ect dont qualify for that its targeted specifically at side by sides.

the dual sport is SUPPOSED to be excempt because it wasnt designed primarily for travel over unimproved terrain, or however its worded, it is a 50 state street legal motorcycle and can be ridden off road should the owner want to. they put that in there for all the dirt bikes, ATV's sandrails ect that were made street legal by the owner, there are LOTS of them in this state and that was the intention of the rule, however, its been misunderstood to include ANYTHING that can go off road.

primarily on road was meant for all the street bikes, it is SUPPOSED to be non OHV sticker and regular price registration.

its not a bad thing to buy the OHV sticker, i mean you get reduced registration to like $5 or something and at least some of the money is actually going where its intended.

you want the MC plate, but my Q to you,, should you check the primary off road box or not? if your riding off road, yes so you get the OHV tag and reduced reg fee, as you are now with primary on road you shouldnt have gotten the OHV tag and your registration fees should be regular price.

your not cheating anything, but since you'll get a ticket for not having the OHV sticker, even though its illegal to give you one (i got it twice but they were both dismissed) you might as well take advantage of the reduction in reg fees.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
2 SPOT
wannabe

Quote:
OK, what if I don't have the title because I financed a portion of the bike and the title is in lein with the lender?

just a title with lien holder, doesnt affect how you register.