Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #16
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Shure earbuds that are flush so they stay in when putting on my helmet. I have them running through a nice little mp3 player I got for Christmas. It's nice having some background noise while riding through the coastal back roads. Plus they really block out the ambient noise so even with no music they help keep it quiet.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,328
I use ear-buds and an I-Pod. I can pause, change the volume or fast forward the I-Pod with the cord. The ear buds keep the wind noise etc out so I don't need to turn the volume up to 11 to hear the music nice and clear. Just find earbuds that seal off the ear and are small enough that you can don your helmet without dislodging them. If all I am doing is riding to the store I don't bother with music, but it is real nice to have whilst on a 10 hour ride. My current buds cost 20$ and I am satisfied with the sound.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #18
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
always wear ear plugs.
all sounds are lowered.
thus you can blast over the wind noise.

(helmet speakers = no fuss)

dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
I use a pair of $11 Maxell's I got at walmart with various sized rubber ear plugs so they really block out alot of wind noise, I think that's key. That way you don't have to blast the music to be able to hear it. Plus the pair I have, has a mic so I can make quick calls at gas stops by plugging the headset into my phone and not have to remove my helmet. I clip a gen2 ipod shuffle onto my helmet chin strap. Or sometimes I'll put my phone in my gps case on the Ram mount and plug into it for music.
doogiepooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
If you want to listen to music on the freeway, Drive a cage.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #21
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I use Beats in ear buds linked with my phone so I can pause it when need be just reach for the little controller by my helmet, I wear sportsbike lids so super light allot of noise but I never have it too loud so I can't hear the engine or horn just enough to block wind noise

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #22
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
always wear ear plugs.
all sounds are lowered.
thus you can blast over the wind noise.

(helmet speakers = no fuss)
That's what I tried. Commuted with them, maybe 2hrs or so of riding. My ears were ringing so loud at night I couldn't sleep. I've changed screens on that bike and have less helmet turbulence now, but the wind noise difference isn't enough to try that again.

Custom plugs/earbuds has an appeal, but I don't think I have the right ear canal shape for it. I got a set of custom plugs. They seemed like a perfect fit, but they wouldn't remain in place for riding. Just the movement of putting on my helmet might dislodge them as would any movement of the jaw. I'm not convinced anyone could do a better set of custom plugs for me, and I'm not willing to take a chance on an expensive set with mini-speakers in them.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #23
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
A good engine makes it's own music.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
davidji OP
bike curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If you want to listen to music on the freeway, Drive a cage.
I can't use the car poo lane in my car, have to pay for the express lanes, and it's hard to filter through traffic. My commute takes me over 7 freeways and 2 express lanes.

FWIW I am considering a more commute-worthy car in the future:
http://www.eliomotors.com/
Old 01-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #25
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
I never considered listening to audio whilst riding - but since getting the Triumph Trophy with the audio pack, i now wouldn't be without it.
The bluetooth hook up to my Sena headset is great. I don't use the bike speakers as they top out quite easily. My Shoei GT Air is the quietest helmet i've ever used.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #26
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
i use helmet speakers in my Shoei modular. Not loud, just a little background sound. Talk radio mostly. I think I paid about $60 about 4 years ago from one of the motorcycle vendors - don't remember which, but I made sure it had an inline volume switch.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #27
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyStuff View Post
I find music to accent a ride. Much more interesting than wind noise.
This ^^^ I didn't use music until a few years ago. I still don't like it in traffic but most of our rides are solitary on two lane highways and music is nice. it's similar to skiing with music. Very relaxing, establishes a rhythm to the experience that I really enjoy.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #28
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Custom plugs/earbuds has an appeal, but I don't think I have the right ear canal shape for it.
Westone requires molds to be made by an audiologist, not some guy at a bike show booth. They pour quick set compound in your ear, send them to Westone, and make the plugs from those molds

I have never had better fitting earplugs...ever. They will make them right if they don't fit. My ears don't do the crush foam ones at all.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #29
davidji OP
bike curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Westone requires molds to be made by an audiologist, not some guy at a bike show booth.
I get that there are people with more training. It's just that the bike show ones (made with goo they poured in my ear), seemed to fit perfectly, and block the sound. Not sure if there's any way the plug shape could be improved.

I guess I could try...

Quote:
I have never had better fitting earplugs...ever. They will make them right if they don't fit. My ears don't do the crush foam ones at all.
I need to pour water in my ear to get the roll up kind in. I have no-roll foam plugs that will go in fine if I wet the plug 1st.

Makes me wonder if your ear canal is shaped like mine. My ear canal has a tight bend in it. Custom plugs I've seen for other people don't show anything like that.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
mmmpies
101 in a 55

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I get that there are people with more training. It's just that the bike show ones (made with goo they poured in my ear), seemed to fit perfectly, and block the sound. Not sure if there's any way the plug shape could be improved.

I guess I could try...

I need to pour water in my ear to get the roll up kind in. I have no-roll foam plugs that will go in fine if I wet the plug 1st.

Makes me wonder if your ear canal is shaped like mine. My ear canal has a tight bend in it. Custom plugs I've seen for other people don't show anything like that.
I've got a riding buddy with custom plugs and a canal shape that sounds just like yours. The first set he had were a bust; just like you said, comfortable but the ear canal was blocking the sound.

He had the audiologist that made the molds take a peek in his ear and mark where the speaker outlet should be, and sent them back to have them re-cast. He has to fiddle a bit to get them in and out, but they're dead on now.
'05 BMW R1200GS
'04 BMW R1150RT
'01 Ducati M900Sie
'89 Honda NT650GT
mmmpies is offline   Reply With Quote