Quote:
Originally Posted by dagofast View Post
***sure as hell hope i'm wrong.
r_bin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #47
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,887
It's very difficult to think of Michael Schumacher either in a permanent coma or a permanent vegetative state. Either is the antithesis of who he is. I find it almost impossible to imagine.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #48
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Good one, thanks. You can tell that the doctors are refusing to do anything but depict worse-case scenarios. I'm sure that part of that is not wanting to raise false hope, as the article says. But I suspect part of is also that they want to protect their professional reputation.

I guess two weeks in a coma is the minimum we should expect. I do wonder why hypothermia isn't dangerous in an induced coma, but would be to you or me when stranded outdoors.
Therapeutic hypothermia reduces the metabolic requirements of not just the brain but many of the body's organ's metabolic requirements to "tickover" pace. This reduces the amount of byproducts accumulating and stressing organs like the kidneys, liver and lungs. Kind of like hibernation, or suspended animation of sci-fi not so long ago. Fairly sure they will be waiting for the pressure inside his skull (intracranial pressure) due to swelling from his injury to reduce before any attempt to wean him from life support.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:17 AM   #49
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
It's very difficult to think of Michael Schumacher either in a permanent coma or a permanent vegetative state. Either is the antithesis of who he is. I find it almost impossible to imagine.

+ a million or more.........
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #50
NJEnduroBiker
'07 KTM950SE

Oddometer: 166
Interesting article about Fish Oil and brain injury

Hoping he makes a full recovery.

Just came across this and found it interesting.
I'm sure his doctors are exploring every option.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/18/health...html?hpt=hp_c2
NJEnduroBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #51
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
I read the SI article - that's pretty vague and basically irresponsible reporting. It doesn't actually say anything. It's hard to really figure out what's going on from these scattered reports, but it's pretty easy to figure out he has a bad injury. Ending up in a persitive vegetative state is pretty rare, most people improve past that, or die. I think at this point there are two possibilities. Either he still has elevated intracranial pressure and they are keeping him down to control the pressure or his pressure isn't a problem anymore but he isn't waking up. The latter carries a worse prognosis and implies a brain stem level injury. I've kept people in an induced coma for over 2 weeks, so that in itself isn't that unusual, but it does imply a pretty bad injury. I think all we can say at this point is that if he survives he has a long road ahead.

I think it goes without saying that we all hope he makes a good recovery. He certainly was an interesting guy to watch race. His work in the rain was some of the best ever, and his his fake crash during Monaco qualifying was a baffling dick move (among many others).
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #52
triumph406
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
I must admit that I don't understand the point of the investigation. He was off piste, he fell over and he hit his head on a rock. Seems pretty simple.
I think it's the standard operating procedure for the French authorities when accidents occur, especially one as high profile as this.
triumph406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #53
mitch96
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
You can tell that the doctors are refusing to do anything but depict worse-case scenarios

That's cause that statement is a win/win for doctors..
If he recovers, the doctors are great for snatching him from the jaws of death.
If it goes worst case, they say that they knew this would happen…
Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #54
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch96 View Post
You can tell that the doctors are refusing to do anything but depict worse-case scenarios

That's cause that statement is a win/win for doctors..
If he recovers, the doctors are great for snatching him from the jaws of death.
If it goes worst case, they say that they knew this would happen…
I don't think his doctors are saying much of anything. All the speculation and prognoses are coming form other "experts" who have no inside information and are just making noise in the news vacuum that his doctor's have created.

On that note I did read that they recovered his lucky charm bracelet yesterday at the accident scene. If he believed in its powers, then I hope it's reunited with him.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #55
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I don't think his doctors are saying much of anything. All the speculation and prognoses are coming form other "experts" who have no inside information and are just making noise in the news vacuum that his doctor's have created.
I think it's entirely possible, that even MS's doctors do not know, if he is gonna wake up or not.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #56
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
interesting read

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/20...-coma-recovery
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #57
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
An interesting article on the possible outcomes:

http://jalopnik.com/what-may-be-goin...t-h-1506618068

Not the most optimistic read .
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #58
mlo7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I think it's impossible to guess the outcome. Many scenario's are possible.
Many have made miraculous comebacks, same could happen with Schumacher still. You never know which destiny is written for him. There is no point in speculating.

Obviously the family is keeping many of the updates for themselves. In a situation like this things can change very fast.
mlo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #59
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,887
True. Still, it's past the time we were expecting for the first signs of a recovery. I'm now at the point where I check every day, hoping for a sliver of hope. My mind still can't grasp the idea of a permanently bed-ridden, brain damaged Michael Schumacher.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #60
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,617
Yep, good read.

I watched my Dad die in August. He had a heart attack. They got his heart beating and he was breathing on his own. But 5 days later the doctors gave up. He wasn't coming back. Difficult to watch.
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote