Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
84 octane

Hello folks!
As a negative side effect of an awesome ride almost to Machu Picchu I had to fill my 950 ADV with 84 octane, well, that is what they say, so maybe less.
First time I only filled some, hoping to get something better in Santa Maria.
After some kilometers the engine hesitated and stalled. I disconnected THE cable (do not know the name) and added a litre of good gas I had as a reserve. Ran fine (maybe even better than usually).
Of course I did not get anything better and filled it up with 84(?) in Santa Maria, rode all the way to Ollantaytambo ( about 120km) without any problems (got very wet and cold though), only to have the engine stalled right in front of the Hearts Cafe, which was my lunch stop.
I spread my clothes everywhere to dry while eating and checking internet. After an hour I tried to start the engine, with little success. I checked the tank, opened both and shook, neither heard or saw gas! Took a tuk tuk to the "gas station" and bought a gallon (of course 84!), no luck to fire it up. Took a collectivo to Urubamba to buy better gas, got 4 gallon of 90 octane and a bottle of octane booster, filled some of the latter into the tank and topped up both tanks ( and still have a gallon or so left, so there must have been something left before putting in the first gallon), battery was quite low by then, did not start, tried to pushstart, no success.
To start with the help of a car pulling me was more scary than succesfull..
Now the battery is on charge (it got drained by all the attemps to turn over, had already been abused in the fog, with extra lights and horn).
Should I always be able to hear the fuel pump when switching on the ignition or only if the carbs "ask"for it? Since it did not start I have not heard it..
What exactly happens when pulling the cable? is the fuel pump affected by this?
Should I do anything else before installing the battery and trying to start?
Thanks for your help!
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

just found this

Low Octane Plug: The LC8 engine in the 950/990 KTM Adventures and Super Enduros line have an 11.5:1 compression ratio. It is designed to run on 95 RON premium fuel. The equivilent octane in the USA is 91 octane (RON+MON)/2. KTM thoughtfully provided a wire under the seat that can be disconnected when the high octane stuff isn't available. It causes the ECU to select a less aggressive ignition advance curve to prevent preignition. It is supposed to be good for down to 80 RON (77 in the USA).
low octane plug

KTM specifies that only one tank of low octane fuel be used at a time. ie: this is supposed to be for emergency use only. Not for a way to run less expensive gas as a routine.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,457
We have just gone through this Tobius, when we pull the brown wire it is like taking one cylinder out, the higher the elevation the worse it gets.

Above about 2500 meters we leave the brown wire connected as the engine does not ping at the higher places.

We have run the 90 without pinging except under heavy throttle passing a truck or something uphill, we only get a couple of pings then quiet so it does not seem to be a huge issue.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel, with fill the 38 liter supertanker to the brim with good stuff to allow mixing.

Re your fuel pump, it should ticker every time, our earth wire to the points fell off so we fixed that, just last night we re fitted our DR Bean board.

If your points are stuffed we have a spare set, we also have a spare DR Bean board, you can have that which will fix all but we would want a replacement to keep as a spare.

Let us know
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks a lot for the offer.
I checked the pump and all the cables and connections, cleaned them and sprayed the connectors with WD 40. The contacts in the pump are quite down, I cleaned them with a little screwdriver and tried with a battery, the pump worked, but only a short while. I installed it in the bike, same there. It does pump but I can not hear any reaction when switching on and off with the kill switch.
I connected it with 2 wires directly tro the battery and everytime and I take the wire off and on it pumps. Should it work like that?
At least I could not start the engine.
So I tried to clean the carbs but could not manage to get all the screws out to open the 2 lids on the lower side of the carbs.
That is the situation right now, will try again.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
For the 950's pump:

1, It only pumps constantly (ticks), when the engine is running. So if the engine is off, it'll only pump for a couple seconds (2-3) after the kill switch is flipped to the on position. This is for safety reasons. Ofc a direct feed from the battery will bypass the fuel relay / timing wheel pickup mechanism, and it should click constantly, but:

2, When the hose between the pump and the carbs pressurize, it won't pump anymore, unless the needles open in the carb. So, if the hoses are attached to the pump, it's normal that it only clicks one-two times.

3, if you have a pump failure, and have the fuel level high in the tank (till until above half), you can gravity feed the carbs if you bypass the fuel pump (connect the in/out fuel hoses at the pump with somesort of fitting, or the output line to the main petcock on the left tank).
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post

3, if you have a pump failure, and have the fuel level high in the tank (till until above half), you can gravity feed the carbs if you bypass the fuel pump (connect the in/out fuel hoses at the pump with somesort of fitting, or the output line to the main petcock on the left tank).
I blew into our breather hose for 65 km when our pump died so you can pressurize it and still get to destination to get fixed, no need to be left on the side of the road, at least yours crapped out in town, ours shat itself 3500 meters high nearing the end of a valley in the middle of nowhere and we still had to climb to 4200 meters before descending 20 km into a town
Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the good advise.pump only works sometimes.Could not start the engine. Connecred tank and carbs directly: voila. Runs just fine. Met a guy who has a 990 in Urubamba and has a shop of some kind.He invited me to camp in his place. Together we will arange a pump, maybe his...is it the same in the 990?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the good advise.pump only works sometimes.Could not start the engine. Connecred tank and carbs directly: voila. Runs just fine. Met a guy who has a 990 in Urubamba and has a shop of some kind.He invited me to camp in his place. Together we will arange a pump, maybe his...is it the same in the 990?
Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by norschweger View Post
Quote:
Well ... your pump should be twice as good now then

Let us know if you need help mate
Old 01-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Sadly the 990 pump is different.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed the new pump, runs like a hero : )
Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,910
If the pump is up to pressure it does not tick when you click the switch.

To check it is working disconnect the line running into the carbs and see if is pumping fuel up to the carbs by turning the switch on for 10 seconds at a time.

If it is not pumping it possible to bypass the pump and the bike will run while the tanks are between full and about 3/4 full.

If you need to replace the fuel pump along with facet etc that can be found here http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html#FuelPumps the fuel pump out an Africa Twin will go straight in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
If the pump is up to pressure it does not tick when you click the switch.

To check it is working disconnect the line running into the carbs and see if is pumping fuel up to the carbs by turning the switch on for 10 seconds at a time.

If it is not pumping it possible to bypass the pump and the bike will run while the tanks are between full and about 3/4 full.

If you need to replace the fuel pump along with facet etc that can be found here http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html#FuelPumps the fuel pump out an Africa Twin will go straight in.
Thanks for the info. Have already done all of the mentioned and replaced it...: )