Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #661
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
there is no denying his approach of latching onto proven national and world champions and riding that gravy train works.

for Aldon.

Weimer didn't go for the gluten-free gravy I guess.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #662
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
You think Reed is losing money? From what all I read I doubt it. He's supposedly a pretty shrew businessman.
I remember reading somewhere that Reed was the 2nd highest paid athlete in Australia, just behind Mark Webber the F1 driver. That dude has made millions over his career.

On a side note...anybody think RV is regretting that he let Roczen ride and train with him? If RV does win another title, it certainly isn't going to be as easy as in the past. The field is stacked more than ever, and even the rookies are fast as hell.... not to mention the old and thought-to-be washed up guys like Reed.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #663
skwidd
where does this lead?

Quote:
the CBS spectacular was interesting. hard to imagine farming out a 14 year old because you THINK he can be a pro. seems a bit of living in a dream world to send the kid away with both parents staying home, can't say that I concur with that approach.

I've seen more than one divorce well into the program before payoff.

3 hours to play 18 holes today, all of the posers and parolees were at home or at the bar.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
Old 01-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #664
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,179
Quote:
Did they promote that ALL of the SX champs would be in attendance? Christ I'd have liked to have known that!

and here is one for the ages...

nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #665
skwidd
where does this lead?

Do I have to sit next to that guy?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #666
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,153
I may stand corrected about this year and Reed. But he has said it costs him money to race, and he does it for passion. When he was hurt he didn't have a fill-in rider because he said he loses money every weekend and it makes no sense to do it.
As for Stewart racism, I have witnessed it a few times. Carmichael's last year I was at Budds Creek and he was chasing Stewart for the win in the second heat. Following nose-to-tail for most of the moto and he goes down hill and passes Stewart and a cheer erupts. I hear a guy right by me scream out"You go Ricky show that nigger, is the boss. You're his master." crowd calms a bit and he says "Love when a master whips his nigger." I am sure he wasn't the only one.
Another recent example, last night watching the race on a live stream with chat and someone says "Go Reed, beat the porch monkey" I am sure it has not been hard for him. His popularity is from non-bigots that like his win it, or bin it style and speed.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #667
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Do I have to sit next to that guy?
There's a great podcast on PulpMX with Dave Arnold, team Honda manager back in the day. He says that Bayle mentally destroyed Stanton. One reason Stanton retired was he was worn out from the Bayle head games. It's an awesome podcast, several hours long. Dave Arnold has an incredible memory.

I think it up in the PulpMX archives somewhere.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #668
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
One reason Stanton retired was he was worn out from the Bayle head games.
I find that very hard to believe.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #669
Research Rat
thrasher

Oddometer: 697
A2: Holy Moly...
This race could of gone so many different ways with such a tight cluster running at the front.

Reed. Rode like a bat of a hell and turned up the intensity at the end. How cool is that a non factory team comes away with a win.

Stewart. Strong start, race leader for the majority of the race but couldn't keep the pace at the end. It was great to see him "ride smart" at the end instead of pushing it too much. Also great to see him make the podium. Perhaps this is the year of the "smarter" bubba.

Roczen. Back on the podium and back in the points lead. He made some bobbles at 3/4 mark allowing for an on fire Reed to capitalize. It was great to see him put Barcia in check in the heat race.

Dungey. Someone must of gotten in his ear to turn up his intensity: in the heat, he took Tickle on the inside of the last turn to take the last transfer spot. In the main, he was riding up front early on, but a bounce off into a slick corner and he tucked it. And on the last lap, he tried to repeat the same heat race trick on Villopoto and they both went down. If Dungey had been more upright on the collision with Villopto, he would of taken the spot. Who is this rider? It isn't the Dungey we're used to seeing, maybe he has an evil twin.

Villopoto. He was fast, and methodical in picking off riders, but the others weren't prepared to give him an inch. On taking Stewart on the inside, Stewarts boot got caught in his bike, sending him to the dirt (in the replay it looked like Stewart may of kicked his fork.) And Villopoto was completely caught off guard by Dungey coming into the last turn. Good to see him humbled a bit and perhaps his confidence shaken as it's making for a more even points chase in the series.

Brayton. Coming off last week's podium, he rode like he belonged up front. No podium this week, but he's sitting in 5th in the series.

Barcia. Cue the sounds of crickets chirping. 11th place finish?

A few notes:
Great to see Fox Sports dumping the new and unnecessary introduction announcer and returning the focus to the JE, RC, and RJ show. (Hands clapping.)

Look at the points spread going into Oakland-5 points separate 1st through 5 place and at 6th place, Stewart is 11 points off Brayton. It's a tight battle going into the series. (Hands clapping.)

Illnesses. Is it just me or are we hearing at least one rider in interviews complaining about an illness having an impact on his results. (Shaking head.)

-Scott
Research Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #670
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Research Rat View Post
Illnesses. Is it just me or are we hearing at least one rider in interviews complaining about an illness having an impact on his results. (Shaking head.)

-Scott
It is the cold and flu season.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #671
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
I find that very hard to believe.
http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...h-dave-arnold/

Dave Arnold said it, not me.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #672
Research Rat
thrasher

Oddometer: 697
Be that as it may, it's not my point. Racers go out of the way in interviews to not give excuses, it's almost as if it's a major part of the coaching they receive. A bike could of caught fire mid ride and a racer would comment "the bike was running great today, but we didn't get to where we needed to be..."

In the first three races I've noticed a cold/under the weather comment in post race interviews. I don't remember hearing such comments from racers in past seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Research Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #673
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Research Rat View Post
Be that as it may, it's not my point. Racers go out of the way in interviews to not give excuses, it's almost as if it's a major part of the coaching they receive. A bike could of caught fire mid ride and a racer would comment "the bike was running great today, but we didn't get to where we needed to be..."

In the first three races I've noticed a cold/under the weather comment in post race interviews. I don't remember hearing such comments from racers in past seasons.
I suspect these guys aren't making excuses.
News reports say it's one of the worst in quite a while.
I never get sick and I caught this bitch on New Year's day.
Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #674
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Not saying the outcome would have been different, but I did see the #27 kawi blocking the 7 on the last lap.

Exciting race to watch.
I hope the camera coverage will improve.
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #675
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post

On a side note...anybody think RV is regretting that he let Roczen ride and train with him? If RV does win another title, it certainly isn't going to be as easy as in the past. The field is stacked more than ever, and even the rookies are fast as hell.... not to mention the old and thought-to-be washed up guys like Reed.
I was thinking the same thing about RV and Roczen training together. Does anybody have some insight as to how that relationship developed?

I would think Kawi wants RV to train with fellow Kawi riders, not to help better his competition? (I assume both Roczen and RV mutually benefit from each other as practice/training partners it just seems strange to me that they are on competing teams/brands).
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote