Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #76
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakypenguin View Post

Not worried about longevity or anything just comfort when i'm on the super slab.
I am too. Thats why I DRIVE my truck on super slab. If your bike is spending any time on super slab,you're doing it wrong. Just sayin...............

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #77
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,205
Sheesh, can't believe this is something people are so stubborn about. Even going so far as to say your riding style is "wrong"? Really? As much as I'm sure you would love to believe that no one else here understands the physics behind it or hasn't as much experience as you, it's just preference. If we were all supposed to ride these things exactly as the manufacturer expected us to, the aftermarket wouldn't exist.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #78
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I am too. Thats why I DRIVE my truck on super slab. If your bike is spending any time on super slab,you're doing it wrong. Just sayin...............
+1

I'm going to put a 1 tooth sprocket on the back of my Bandit, should get the revs down to about 3@70mph
Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #79
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Buy a car and don't have the pleasure to ride every day because it's mystically "wrong" to ride? Sounds stupid to me. Just sayin.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #80
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,832
Quote:

So...You're willing to pay the extra vacation time for the rest of us that ride slab right now, so that we can ride poky little roads instead of actually riding to or from a destination in a timely fashion? Or are you going to buy all of us trucks? Why aren't all of us just living on your dime and riding 200lb 2-strokes that scream at anything faster than 55MPH?
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #81
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

Oddometer: 705
From outside the hobby, it is easy to see that most modifications we make to our vehicles decrease the usability, not increase it.

Most mods made to diesel pickups (bed stacks, lifts, chips) actually make them worse.

Most mods made to ricers (lowering, fart cans, body kits, spoilers) actually make them worse.

Unfortunately it is probably the same for motorcycles. We just can't see it because we are inside the lifestyle.
iamcanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #82
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanjim View Post
From outside the hobby, it is easy to see that most modifications we make to our vehicles decrease the usability, not increase it.

Most mods made to diesel pickups (bed stacks, lifts, chips) actually make them worse.

Most mods made to ricers (lowering, fart cans, body kits, spoilers) actually make them worse.

Unfortunately it is probably the same for motorcycles. We just can't see it because we are inside the lifestyle.
Hmmm

Lets see
~shorty levers, because I ride 2+2 and never four finger controls
~higher rigid pegs because my feet slip off the stockers and I need GP shift to getting my big ass feet under the shifter in some left corners causes foot to ground interface that I can get around easily....by flipping the shift pattern
~most bikes are tuned close to dangerously lean which makes low end response shit
~aftermarket exhausts remove 20lbs (in the case of my 675) from high and on the tail of the bike, the last place you want it.

That is just the track bitch, and for what I usually use it for it is hands down better for what I use it for.

For the Speed Triple
-1/+3 cogs, because frond wheels should last forever That I don't give a shit about going 145, I want 0-80 and I want it now.....and it still gets about 38-40mpg highway, enough to get about 170 miles if I need to.
Daytona engine internals.....yeah, hands down better, higher compression, higher redline, better sleeves better machine work...
Porting/milling the head.....yeah more compression better flow (sadly the Speed Triple/Daytona of that era have not even close to enough airbox for the engine)
I have a high mount on it, because I like burning the back of my right boot....oh that and you shouldn't block SSSAs...ever
Suspension, me and the suspension on that fucker are going though generation 3 thus far, this time I'm going full retard, GSXR forks, AK-20s, Penske shock, 1050 swinger.

.......may not be better to you, but its damn sure better for me.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #83
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
+1

I'm going to put a 1 tooth sprocket on the back of my Bandit, should get the revs down to about 3@70mph
A one tooth smaller rear sprocket will decrease revs by 100 at 70mph. A one tooth larger front sprocket will decease revs by 300 at 70mph.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #84
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
"When u ride your motorcycle the motor should always be "In the Pipe""

In the pipe may be a pothead term, I don't know! But the motorcycle term is "On the pipe" and it refers to when a 2-stroke hits the power band.

HAHA...That was QUICK!

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #85
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,748
My take is that he intends to gear it WAY up to a 1-tooth rear sprocket and get 3rpm @ 70mph...

--Bill
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #86
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 107
I used to be of the low-revs-only school too. I think it has alot to do with the archetypal sound of motorcycles many of us grew up with- apart from dirtbikes and sportbikes, which are depicted and fragile race machines, the single archetypal motorcycle sound is a chugging harley v-twin or a british thumper.

Even if we grow past the stereotypes and become part of real motorcycle culture, I have a feeling that impression sticks in many of our heads until we're trained out of it by owning a bike that's meant to rev comfortably at higher RPMs than a long-stroke, old-school aircooled bike.

Not to say that low revs are bad for engines. An engine does best in whatever operational range it was designed for, and the "sweet spot" can be anywhere in that range depending on cam design, timing, compression, etc. Every two-stroke bike I've ever had was in the sweet spot for cruising right when it sounded like a miniature supersport screaming at redline, to no particular ill effects. My XT likes a nice 2500-4500, with the sweet spot at about 3400. And some of those old HD longstroke twins have the same rev limit as a modern diesel truck and can't rev for anything, but can chug quite happily at revs that would cause other bikes to stall.

Quote:
Some of us don't have, and/or can't afford, a car, truck or other form of cage.
Or we may have one, but have to share it with other people and use the bike as our primary transport, like me.

Not everyone uses bikes as toys, even here in the USA.

Just sayin'...
1992 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (project) 35,179 miles
Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #87
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
My take is that he intends to gear it WAY up to a 1-tooth rear sprocket and get 3rpm @ 70mph...

--Bill
Hi Bill,
No doubt your right. Brains a bit slow to catch on, to many years of substance abuse is my excuse.

John
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #88
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Buy a car and don't have the pleasure to ride every day because it's mystically "wrong" to ride? Sounds stupid to me. Just sayin.
There's no pleasure in droning down super slab. Mystically pretending riding on super slab is enjoyable IS stupid. It's why most riders in the US don't choose to ride through KS and NE for fun. Instead they choose places like the Smokies and Rockies to ride. And cars are useless 4 wheeled transportation.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #89
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

So...You're willing to pay the extra vacation time for the rest of us that ride slab right now, so that we can ride poky little roads instead of actually riding to or from a destination in a timely fashion? Or are you going to buy all of us trucks? Why aren't all of us just living on your dime and riding 200lb 2-strokes that scream at anything faster than 55MPH?
Waahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Need a tissue?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #90
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Waahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Need a tissue?
I was thinking feminine product.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote