ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,075
Where to live in SF Area?

Next week I'm flying to SF to do an Area Tour. I should be getting an offer from one of the big companies in south of SF and they want me to start looking at places to live. The company has a shuttle bus service to take people to the office.

Where do you recommend living and why?

We prefer hotter weather and have stuff to do walking distance e.g. restaurants, groceries etc

I'm 33 y/o and moving with my fiance.
We are looking either to rent or maybe buy a small place.

Thank you for your help!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 232
Where's your office/work space? SF city limits is one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S. $3K a month get's you a mediocre sub 1,000 sq. ft. apt. in a mediocre area of town. Rough areas can be had in the low to mid 2K range. Weather in SF - a warm day hits 70 degrees, you can count the number of days it hits 80 degrees. Fog is common. The Peninsula, the 30-mile stretch from SF to San Jose, is also quite pricey, though has much better weather overall. 80 degrees is typical high temps, 55-60 degrees is common low temps. You can't really go wrong any where on the Peninsula, except avoid East Palo Alto. Palo Alto proper is very upscale, upper class - Stanford is in Palo Alto. If your office is in SF, my two cents - live north of the Golden Gate Bridge, San Rafael, and bus to work. Marin county is also pricey, has same weather as Peninsula, and is an incredible place to live/ride.

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,024
Check out the Bay Area Craigslist for an idea on prices. Only place more expensive to live in the US is Manhattan. Where is the job actually located?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatn'taters View Post
Where's your office/work space?
Thank you for the overview!

The offices are in South San Francisco, a few miles south of Brisbane in the peninsula.

One of the relocation ladies mentioned the tri-valley? they have a company bus from there... but 1 hour commute seems a bit to much...
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Check out the Bay Area Craigslist for an idea on prices.
Thank you! will check there!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,024
I live in Sunnyvale and work in Mountain View (right next to each other) it's expensive out here but with temps in the seventies all month who's gonna bitch!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,082
Just FYI but my son just moved there. He lives in the Marina district (east of the Presidio) and splits a nice 2 bedroom apartment with a friend for $3200 per month (includes 1 parking spot). It's a nice area. for a city

If you're coming from Nicaragua, I don't think anything there would be considered warm.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Just FYI but my son just moved there. He lives in the Marina district (east of the Presidio) and splits a nice 2 bedroom apartment with a friend for $3200 per month (includes 1 parking spot). It's a nice area. for a city

If you're coming from Nicaragua, I don't think anything there would be considered warm.
I lived about 9 years in Italy, 4 years in Ohio and 4 years in Switzerland. I think I'm still frozen from those years and that's why I'm looking for a warmer place

I was reading on line that the eastern part of the peninsula is colder and has more fog - so I'll try to avoid that.

I did check Sunnyvale on wikipedia and it says that in the silicon valley has low temperatures in the 50's which sound pretty good.

I will check the marina district when I'm out there!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Sunnyvale should be better than further up the peninsula. If the company has a commuter bus better yet, traffic never gets better. Lots of bus rage down there recently. Might be better off lane splitting.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Sunnyvale should be better than further up the peninsula. If the company has a commuter bus better yet, traffic never gets better. Lots of bus rage down there recently. Might be better off lane splitting.
Second vote for Sunnyvale.

Here is a list of places that I will plan to visit:

- SF downtown
- Peninsula: San Mateo
- Silicon Valley: Palo Alto (Just for curiosity), Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino
- trivalley: Dan ville, san ramon, pleasenton

any other recommendations?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
Yeah, get over the idea that a one hour commute is a bit too much. Unless you actually live in the city and bike or hike to work, you will long for such a short trip.

A chartered bus (although under attack lately by the income inequality crowd) sounds like a luxury to me.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,375
The further south or east from SF you get, the warmer it will be (longer commute too).

Danville and Pleasanton are nice. Cupertino is a huge bedroom community with lots of stores, but I don't know about night life. Most of the smaller cities like San Mateo, Palo Alto, and San Ramon probably little revitalized down town areas if you can find a place close to them. Anywhere in the city of San Francisco is going to be cold and windy.

Danville: upscale stores like the Blackhawk shopping center (and the vinatage auto museum there)
Pleasanton: IMAX movie theater, hot rod shows a few times per year
Cupertino: excellent proximity to good riding in the Santa Cruz mountains, such as Highway 9

All the others: close proximity to public transportation
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
A commuter bus is nice, but being in CA, you'll be in not only prime motorcycling weather, but also in the only place where you can split lanes legally. I would definitely be looking to take advantage of that if I were moving to the area. If you do plan on commuting on your own at all, 280 is a much better experience than 101.

I lived there years ago, in Palo Alto and Mountain View. Spent a good amount of time in the neighboring towns as well (Menlo Park, Atherton, Redwood City, Sunnyvale, Los Altos, etc.). They're all good areas, though I recall Mountain View and Sunnyvale to be kind of a symptom of the dot com boom--lots of apartment buildings and convenient shopping and such, but not necessarily a whole lot of personality. Granted, this was 10+ years ago, so some things may have changed.

I hadn't heard of the term "tri-valley" before, but my impression of most of the east bay was that it was more affordable, for a reason.
some call me...tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #14
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
Second vote for Sunnyvale.

Here is a list of places that I will plan to visit:

- SF downtown
- Peninsula: San Mateo
- Silicon Valley: Palo Alto (Just for curiosity), Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino
- trivalley: Dan ville, san ramon, pleasenton

Your list is perfect - you will see what you need to see to make a decision.

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Thank you all for the advice!

I would like to commute by bike on those nice days but not sure yet what the dress code will be. In the last role i had to were suit and tie every day which didn't really lend to riding a bike to work. But let's see as I hear that the culture is pretty laid back...

I just got the email from the relocation company:

Your tour has been arranged. On the tour, you will get a much better sense of the Bay Area. Your guide is very knowledgeable and will point out your housing options, area amenities, commuting and public transit, as well as area shopping and recreational opportunities. You will be driving drive by current listings provided by the realtors below in order to get a feel for the real estate market. Here are the details of your tour:
Date: Sunday, 02/02/14
Time: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Areas: East Bay, Peninsula, Tri Valley