ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #61
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
oh nice. i missed that. that is now THE gps package for those riding mexico & CA.
The quality of the Belize and Guatemala maps are quite a bit lower then the Mexico map.
Most of the small to medium towns only show the main road. It was enough to get by but no where near the detail of the Mexico map.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #62
kevin2735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Anyone have or use any maps of Baja on their smartphone? LBMaps, Bicmaps, and E32 maps all seem to be very device specific for Garmin. Not sure if any of these work with the Garmin app on the iPhone. I would love to get the E32 maps on my iPhone. Thanks!

http://kevin2735.blogspot.com/
kevin2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #63
artbone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by haket View Post
Anyone know how the Bicimaps compare to the Garmin Mexico TOPOs that seen to use the Bicimaps db ? particularly for Baja ?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/digital...gallery-dialog
If I'm not mistaken, Garmin has bought Bicimapas. The Bicimapas webpage directs you to Garmin. I think the maps will be the same now.

Not all who wander are lost.

http://tinyurl.com/adventurebeforedementia
artbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #64
RdrMtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
E32 question

Resurrecting an older thread here: I'm new to GPS but have ridden Baja twice before on my XR650R. My question is: Does the E32 map automatically show all the dirt roads and trails on the screen at all times, or do you have to choose which track etc. you want to display? From what I can tell, you simply load the E32 map and ride, following different roads and trails as you wish without selecting anything to follow or display. Am I correct? I'd appreciate any feedback very much.

Looking to load it on an Etrex 20. The 2014 E32 update looks amazing.
RdrMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:21 AM   #65
haket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
The maps I bought through Garmin operate more like a road mapset where all trails are visible and can route. The downside I found was that (on my 62s at least) I had to zoom way the hell In before the trails were visible. Not an issue in Basecamp but on the unit it was a pain to change the route in the field. Having paper to do the general route planning and the unit to notify of trail junctions worked great.
haket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM   #66
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by haket View Post
The maps I bought through Garmin operate more like a road mapset where all trails are visible and can route. The downside I found was that (on my 62s at least) I had to zoom way the hell In before the trails were visible. Not an issue in Basecamp but on the unit it was a pain to change the route in the field. Having paper to do the general route planning and the unit to notify of trail junctions worked great.
That appears to me to be Garmin policy - all the 'dirt adventure roads' are only shown at the most zoomed in layer. You may be able to set your GPS to display more detail .. I have my 60 set to display 'most' detail, with the anti clutter on .. so when there is too many things on the screen at once it does not display some of them .. like when you go into a town, but away from the town you have a better chance of seeing the good roads/tracks.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM   #67
RdrMtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Thanks for the replies! Helps a lot. I'll try to remember to report back after our trip in March.
RdrMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #68
haket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
That appears to me to be Garmin policy - all the 'dirt adventure roads' are only shown at the most zoomed in layer. You may be able to set your GPS to display more detail .. I have my 60 set to display 'most' detail, with the anti clutter on .. so when there is too many things on the screen at once it does not display some of them .. like when you go into a town, but away from the town you have a better chance of seeing the good roads/tracks.
I was hoping for the same thing, I spent too much time onto the Garmin cust support trying to get the detail levels right, but they gave up in the end, such a pity as all the data is there and the resolution of the 62 is well up to it. Its the Garmin curse....
haket is offline   Reply With Quote