ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 315
IMO:
First thought if you are not locked in. Take a pay cut and go somewhere else if you have that option.
If not.
Get a Paper Map and draw your commute limits, routes.
A Private Bus would be nice but I am sure there are limits to it's routes or are they offering
door-to-door service with x miles?
Can Bart work for you, if so you can cast a wider loop. Danville/Alamo/Dublin would
be on my list even tho they tend to be up scale with pricing to match.
Be sure to put a price tag on your commute time, an 8 hr day sucks when it turns into a 10 or 12 hr day becuz of your commute.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #17
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
IMO:
Be sure to put a price tag on your commute time, an 8 hr day sucks when it turns into a 10 or 12 hr day becuz of your commute.
Agree!

Another location is not an option as the team that I'll be managing is there.
I spent 3 years working in Orange County, CA and having a 30-60 minute commute and that was painful!

The buses they provide have a set route/timeline.

I'll check into the work from home policy... if possible just go into the office 4 days a week and Friday work from home.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #18
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
Second vote for Sunnyvale.

Here is a list of places that I will plan to visit:

- SF downtown
- Peninsula: San Mateo
- Silicon Valley: Palo Alto (Just for curiosity), Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino
- trivalley: Dan ville, san ramon, pleasenton

any other recommendations?
you have to dig, but some good deals in redwood city, palo alto and south would be more $$
look in san carlos also as a suggestion.
east bay is normally cheaper but there are deals on occasion.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
maxinux
KiLR

Oddometer: 39
Do you like having a garage? If so, you will likely get further away from SF. With a shuttle, living in Fremont/Union City is nice as you can get 3 bed/2bath+garage for 1800, where you can pay twice that or more for a 2/1+1 parking _spot_ in SF. You can move further out and get more space for less, but the commute, even on a bus gets long.

I grew up in Fairfield (50 miles east of SF), have lived in Sunnyvale, Fremont, Redwood city and Milpitas and have typically been happier further from SF than closer, that said, Sunnyvale was nice. If you want Warm + walking distance to night life you should also check out downtown San Jose depending on where your shuttle picks up.
maxinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #20
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinux View Post
Do you like having a garage? If so, you will likely get further away from SF. With a shuttle, living in Fremont/Union City is nice as you can get 3 bed/2bath+garage for 1800, where you can pay twice that or more for a 2/1+1 parking _spot_ in SF. You can move further out and get more space for less, but the commute, even on a bus gets long.

I grew up in Fairfield (50 miles east of SF), have lived in Sunnyvale, Fremont, Redwood city and Milpitas and have typically been happier further from SF than closer, that said, Sunnyvale was nice. If you want Warm + walking distance to night life you should also check out downtown San Jose depending on where your shuttle picks up.
Yes, I will need a garage for the bike and probably for my fiance's car (if she feels that we need one).

How is Fremont? they have a shuttle from there - Fremont - 6552 Kaiser Dr

We are not planning on buying a car right away and i'll be bringing my bike over. So ideally we need public transportation and be walking distance to do basic shopping.

Also, one of the things we want to pick-up is sailing so ideally we would like to be "close" to a marina and my fiance is into Yoga.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,633
There are lots of marinas around the Bay. Shorline Lake in Mountain View might be a good place to learn, since SF Bay can be challenging even with experience (watch those tides!). When you buy a boat, Sequoia Yacht Club isn't too far north. I have no idea how expensive these places are.

Just about any marina will be close for weekend boating when traffic is light.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
Allroads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
To the op, you might want to consider some other East Bay locations as well, depending on budget...Alameda, Castro Valley, LaMorInda, Walnut Creek, etc.
Allroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #23
Kyron
Oncler Inds

Oddometer: 182
I would stay on the peninsula if I were you..... Burlingame or Milbrae would be the furthest south I would want to commute.

I lived in Pacifica for 30 yrs and would totally recommend it except you said you wanted warm.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,633
How is the cost of living on Alameda Island? I liked that eclectic little neighborhood.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #25
OCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Good luck!

Hey Sal,
I spent about 10 years working in and around the bay area. There is nothing inexpensive about the place. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's crowded, traffic sucks (whoever the highway engineers were should be strung up by there nu* sac*s), The only good weather there is about this time of year. If your hell bent to the area, I worked for and became good friends with an engineer at Genentech and he lived in Novato. Nice area. I spent most of my free time in Santa Cruz. San Jose sucked. I think you should just focus on your time away from work and come live back down here in Orange County so you enjoy some riding time with Paul, Henry, John and me. Then you could commute via Southworst airlines. SFO is right there in south San Fran. Oh yeah. Be careful, those uppity types there on the peninsula don't much care for folks referring to their dear city as San Fran, Frisco of any other abbreviated nomenclature. If you want to stroke their precious little ego's and do your best to fit in, then the proper endearment is "The City". After spending several months up there and upon hearing this term, I just had to step out there. I was out to dinner with some friends over in Emeryville and asked our cute little waitress where in the area we might go find an ice cream? She proceeded to explain how she was from "The City" and if we were in "The City" then she could tells us just where to go, but since we weren't in "The City" then she really could not help us. So I simply exclaimed how I had heard all these people talking about "The City" and how this must be some mystical magical place like the Wizard of Oz, would she be so kind as to tell exactly where " The City" is. She promptly turn and walked away mumbling something under her breath, I think about where I could go.
OCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #26
salcar OP
Riding 4 Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRider View Post
Hey Sal,
I spent about 10 years working in and around the bay area. There is nothing inexpensive about the place. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's crowded, traffic sucks (whoever the highway engineers were should be strung up by there nu* sac*s), The only good weather there is about this time of year. If your hell bent to the area, I worked for and became good friends with an engineer at Genentech and he lived in Novato. Nice area. I spent most of my free time in Santa Cruz. San Jose sucked. I think you should just focus on your time away from work and come live back down here in Orange County so you enjoy some riding time with Paul, Henry, John and me. Then you could commute via Southworst airlines. SFO is right there in south San Fran. Oh yeah. Be careful, those uppity types there on the peninsula don't much care for folks referring to their dear city as San Fran, Frisco of any other abbreviated nomenclature. If you want to stroke their precious little ego's and do your best to fit in, then the proper endearment is "The City". After spending several months up there and upon hearing this term, I just had to step out there. I was out to dinner with some friends over in Emeryville and asked our cute little waitress where in the area we might go find an ice cream? She proceeded to explain how she was from "The City" and if we were in "The City" then she could tells us just where to go, but since we weren't in "The City" then she really could not help us. So I simply exclaimed how I had heard all these people talking about "The City" and how this must be some mystical magical place like the Wizard of Oz, would she be so kind as to tell exactly where " The City" is. She promptly turn and walked away mumbling something under her breath, I think about where I could go.

I would love to move back to the OC!
I guess I'll give it a shot up there and see if my job will allow me to move to the OC.
I'll look up Novato.
And definitely if I move back to the states I'll come south to ride with you guys once again!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #27
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
I'll look up Novato.
If you will be working south of SF you'll hate the commute from Novato, it will kill you.

I worked in SF for many years commuting from Sonoma county on public transit (to SOMA/Presidio/Potrero Hill) and it is very rough on the home/personal life, as in 3hrs commute per day on average.
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #28
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Yes, I will need a garage for the bike and probably for my fiance's car (if she feels that we need one).

How is Fremont? they have a shuttle from there - Fremont - 6552 Kaiser Dr

We are not planning on buying a car right away and i'll be bringing my bike over. So ideally we need public transportation and be walking distance to do basic shopping.

Also, one of the things we want to pick-up is sailing so ideally we would like to be "close" to a marina and my fiance is into Yoga.
Fremont is hot in summer and nice enough if you like Indian food.

I would frankly look at renting a townhouse or apartment with a one car garage adjacent to the Colma BART station.

Colma ain't exactly hopping but you can still catch a train from downtown at about 1am and get there (but not going the other way).

Yes its foggy. But all the same you are minutes to the airport and downtown on the BART train. Everything you need is within minutes.

Time is a precious commodity. Don't spend yours commuting.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #29
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 315
IMO
Pass on anything in the N.Bay. Crossing the Golden Gate on a daily basis would be a PITA.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Thank you all for the advice!

I would like to commute by bike on those nice days but not sure yet what the dress code will be. In the last role i had to were suit and tie every day which didn't really lend to riding a bike to work. But let's see as I hear that the culture is pretty laid
It really depends on what you do. I spent the last 10 yrs as a VP Eng at Oracle and I don't own a tie. Until recently we lived 1/2 time near Half Moon Bay and it was great. Not hot in the summer, but great in the fall/winter. If no one screws up on 92 the commute was better than coming from the SouthBay.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote