Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #331
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdyke View Post
Well...no. Not according to YOU. You've excluded this possibility
Now, dont go backpedaling and start to allow other reasons why someone might choose to not wear gear. You made your bed. You stated your case. You cited that it must be peer pressure, which is just a fancy way of saying that these people are not capable of thinking for themselves. Or that they're just foolish.
Frankly, I dont have the time or patience to go back to the beginning of this thread and multi-quote all the cheap shots taken by gear nazis. If you're interested, go back and count the times when the words, ignorant, peer pressure, foolish, stupid, fashion, etc have been used.
Not once has any of the gear nazis acknowledged that someone riding without gear might actually be a completely sane person, who knows the ramifications of his actions, but has decided to live his life OUTSIDE the plastic bubble in which others to choose to live. Not once, that is...until you just did, and only because you didn't like the corner you painted yourself into.
And honestly, the answer was in the second post and has been repeated only a couple of times by others here. Now, this forum being ADVrider, which is notoriously famous for HD bashing members, is filled with folks who proudly shout,"I'm ATTGAT!" and then the peer group chimes in and pats themselves on their backs cuz they are, too. Well....aren't we sooooo much smarter and cooler than those Harley guys.!!!
One could contend that this forum is a huge support group for people who are so afraid of getting a little boo boo that they have to wear lime green or hi viz pink jumpsuits and then rely on their like minded friends to tell them they look cool, not ridiculous.
CD

Exactly.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #332
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
^^^^
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 AM   #333
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdyke View Post
You cited that it must be peer pressure, which is just a fancy way of saying that these people are not capable of thinking for themselves. Or that they're just foolish.
No not at all. That's just your interpretation of what "peer pressure" means, not mine.

I said every single one of us is influenced by our peers to some degree, no matter what our beliefs. I acknowledged I was no different, and I can think for myself and don't believe I'm stupid.

You may belief your a total individual, making all you own independent rational decisions. I also though that way once. But the older I get the more I have come to recognize just how much social, peer, and lets call them subconscious forces shape us. The rational mind may thinks its in total control, but alas its not.

Perhaps best to agree to disagree.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:45 AM   #334
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
No not at all. That's just your interpretation of what "peer pressure" means, not mine.

I said every single one of us is influenced by our peers to some degree, no matter what our beliefs. I acknowledged I was no different, and I can think for myself and don't believe I'm stupid.

You may belief your a total individual, making all you own independent rational decisions. I also though that way once. But the older I get the more I have come to recognize just how much social, peer, and lets call them subconscious forces shape us. The rational mind may thinks its in total control, but alas its not.

Perhaps best to agree to disagree.
Hah! I do not agree.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 AM   #335
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Hah! I do not agree.
Did you ever watch the cartoon characters Spike and Chester as a kid........

Good one Chester!
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #336
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Pillion of a two-up couple on a Harley at a gas station asked me the classic... "Aren't you hot in all that stuff?" to which I replied, "Aren't you afraid of getting hurt without all this stuff?" she answered "We never fall down".

I looked at that shiny chrome bike and thought that might just actually be reasonably true. Personally, I gear up because I do fall, and will continue to fall, because I push it a bit sometimes on my Dual Sport. They might not; their bike is less capable of pushing it, and doesn't reward when it is pushed (an obvious generalization and stereotype). So at least the "odds" are significantly in their favor.

I have a old 700 Shadow besides my Dual Sport. It's a handling slug made for cruising and it serves it's purpose just fine, by creating smiles on a hot day. I've ridden it several times in shorts T-shirt and sneakers on rural two-lane, so I get it.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #337
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Pillion of a two-up couple on a Harley at a gas station asked me the classic... "Aren't you hot in all that stuff?" to which I replied, "Aren't you afraid of getting hurt without all this stuff?" she answered "We never fall down".
Yeah,
I don't "fall down"either.....................

......................But others have knocked me down. Never say never

Deciding to not wear gear is a choice, justifying not wearing gear is denial. Do as you wish, just be honest with yourself and others.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #338
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Yeah,
I don't "fall down"either.....................

......................But others have knocked me down. Never say never

Deciding to not wear gear is a choice, justifying not wearing gear is denial. Do as you wish, just be honest with yourself and others.
I ain't scared

FUCK CANCER!!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:04 AM   #339
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
she answered "We never fall down".

I looked at that shiny chrome bike and thought...
...Noobs.

--Bill
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #340
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I ain't scared
That''s good,
You should be comfortable with your choices, otherwise you're doing it wrong. It seems fear makes some folks get so focused on gear they forget the basics, or that no amount of gear makes riding "safe".
Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #341
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHanson View Post
The OP is asking why people make stupid choices and implicit in his question is his personal judgment that many Harley riders are stupid for not riding ATGATT.
That's actually not in the OP's post. He was very careful to avoid exactly that.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #342
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,515
Seems to me me "harley fashion" is what dictates many harley riders choice of gear. Which is great, fashion shows are fun!

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #343
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Tragically, yesterday there was an accident involving a motorcyclist and a garbage truck. This happened mid-afternoon. Details were not available yet this morning; other than the rider was not wearing a helmet and is in critical condition. From the one photo I saw, the bike looked like a harley, what was left of it.

I ride that road several times a week: The road is 6 lanes wide, three in each direction. Garbage trucks are common there because there's a refuse center in that area. The garbage trucks are slow moving, they don't "dart" out in front of traffic, they don't change lanes unexpectedly and they are BIG. I've tried to imagine how the heck this accident could have happened without success. The only conclusions I can draw are:
1. The rider must have had zero riding skills/awareness, or was impaired.
2. I'll bet he wishes he was wearing a helmet at least.
3. I hope he lives.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #344
DualSportPirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have had this conversation with my father who has been riding road bikes for 40 years or so. When I was growing up, he was always preaching about the importance of a helmet when riding on or offroad, but somewhere along the line, he stopped wearing one on his road bike.

When I asked him about it a few years ago, he almost looked ashamed at his decision to ride without one and couldn't give a reason for his decision. He told me that he new he should wear it, but just enjoys it more without it.

He owns a bike shop, and we had this conversation a few days after one of his employees was hit riding home after work at 30MPH. He was not wearing a helmet and the only injury he sustained was head trauma.

To this day, he doesn't wear a helmet. I do not believe I will ever understand this.
DualSportPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #345
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
The 'look' seems to dictate what a lot of riders wear.
Most have a dress code, outlaw biker bad guy, road racer, motocross racer, and I am not sure what the T shirt on a sport bike is, the squid look?

Its rare, but I have also seen the rugged adventure rider, new gear and plenty of it (on a very hot day), very clean BMW adventure bikes, at a very trendy spot (New Hope PA). Not a speck of dirt was seen that day, or ever.

My look?
Like I stopped doing whatever I was doing, put a helmet on, and jumped on the bike.
Jacket in the cold/wet, sun screen in the sun, boots in the dirt.

That has worked for me for the last 40 years.

I know its kind of stupid, but I want to ENJOY riding, I do not want to spend a lot of time gearing up and being uncomfortable on a ride, and I often jump on the bike for very local short trips to the store and so on.
Its just as easy and fast to jump on the bike as it is to get in the car.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote