Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #226
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not able to ride while here but finding good places to eat has been a challenge.

Where are your favorite places to eat in Abu Dhabi?
Depends on what kind of cuisine you're interested in. There's an online magazine which will give you all the choices you need. Google "timeout magazine abudhabi".

cheers
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #227
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,409
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm very familar with TimeOut and their various editions in the region.

I'm more interested in what the folks who have been here awhile think about local places that aren't necessarily reviewed in TimeOut, Tripadvisor, etc.

As for cuisine, we're wide open! So, what suggestions do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Depends on what kind of cuisine you're interested in. There's an online magazine which will give you all the choices you need. Google "timeout magazine abudhabi".

cheers

HNBAS Tour 2008

HNBAS Tour 2010
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #228
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm very familar with TimeOut and their various editions in the region.

I'm more interested in what the folks who have been here awhile think about local places that aren't necessarily reviewed in TimeOut, Tripadvisor, etc.

As for cuisine, we're wide open! So, what suggestions do you have?
I love good food and i don't mean the flashy mega expensive places which sell over-priced crap. So, i go and eat at places like truck stops on the highways, the small corner place in a crowded market / industrial area etc.

- the thai place at hotel siji al-diar is good
- there are a few mandi restaurants in the samha / baniyas areas (outskirts of abudhabi) serving good arabic food (not lebanese)
- although quite famous, the "lebanese flower" serves shitty food IMO
- few indian places (vegetarian) near el-dorado cinema serve good food but spicy.
- couple of paki restaurants after the hardley ableson showroom on passport street (or is it called defence street ?) which serve good spicy food and crispy, piping hot tandoori rotis

apart from a few places located in hotels/restaurants, i doubt if i can give you useful directions/leads.

whats your visit schedule to AuDhabi look like ?

cheers
Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #229
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
I love good food and i don't mean the flashy mega expensive places which sell over-priced crap. So, i go and eat at places like truck stops on the highways, the small corner place in a crowded market / industrial area etc.

- the thai place at hotel siji al-diar is good
- there are a few mandi restaurants in the samha / baniyas areas (outskirts of abudhabi) serving good arabic food (not lebanese)
- although quite famous, the "lebanese flower" serves shitty food IMO
- few indian places (vegetarian) near el-dorado cinema serve good food but spicy.
- couple of paki restaurants after the hardley ableson showroom on passport street (or is it called defence street ?) which serve good spicy food and crispy, piping hot tandoori rotis
apart from a few places located in hotels/restaurants, i doubt if i can give you useful directions/leads.
whats your visit schedule to AuDhabi look like ?
cheers
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I agree about the Lebanese Flower, I was unimpressed.

We've visited a couple of spots around Tourist Club area (Bonna Annee, Maroush) and have been quite happy.

I get away from work most Wednesday evenings for a few hours.

HNBAS Tour 2008

HNBAS Tour 2010

dolomoto screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 02:01 PM
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #230
paddyhannen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Inbound Oman Need info and bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddysoles View Post
Still quite hot this side of the border
Gday all heading over to Muscat for work for next few months, I'm looking to buy a 690 or 950/990 ADV and do some big K's at end of contract, Does anyone have some knowledge I can borrow?( and probably sneak in a beer with((and of course a ride)))
Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #231
ThJ
n00b

Oddometer: 5
hello everybody,

anybody here have any experience with the motorcycle scene in Qatar?
seems to me it's mostly street bikes in Doha...

regards
Thijs
ThJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #232
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyhannen View Post
Gday all heading over to Muscat for work for next few months, I'm looking to buy a 690 or 950/990 ADV and do some big K's at end of contract, Does anyone have some knowledge I can borrow?( and probably sneak in a beer with((and of course a ride)))
Very few DS bikes in Oman for sale in the used bike market. One of the Muscat inmates was selling his well setup DR650 I think. Quite a few bikes for sale in Dubai/Abudabi though.

Make sure you have resident visa (Omani) in order to be able to buy and register a bike locally. A few Omani (expat) inmates have posted details about importing bikes from the UAE. Sift through the posts here and you will find the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThJ View Post
hello everybody,

anybody here have any experience with the motorcycle scene in Qatar?
seems to me it's mostly street bikes in Doha...

regards
Thijs
Check with a couple of Qatari inmates on the forum (some have posted here too). The dirt bike scene is pretty big with guys doing some dune riding on weekends. You should get some riding done before summer (May). There's even a bike club/forum IIRC.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #233
paddyhannen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Its a long weekend from 6th - 8th June.

Anybody interested to do a ride to the mountains near Nizwa, Oman ?

As usual, it will be tarmac all the way upto Nizwa and then it will be graded dirt roads in the Jebel Akhdar / Shams area.

Head out early morning 6th and back on either 7th night or 8th noon depending on how it pans out.
Hi Vicks im imprisoned in abu tubul but very keen to see how the nizwa ride pans out, can you post some details and stuff?
Got any info on the tracks through the hills there, the boys here reckon there is an awesome track through the mountains
Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #234
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyhannen View Post
Hi Vicks im imprisoned in abu tubul but very keen to see how the nizwa ride pans out, can you post some details and stuff?
Got any info on the tracks through the hills there, the boys here reckon there is an awesome track through the mountains
Well, you dug up an old post my mate !!! i'll have to see what details i have on that ride. Not sure if i had any tracks but i'll give it a look.

edit : here you go, this is the link to my ride report to jebel shams. Ihave found some GPS tracks as well. Do let me know if you need them and i'll email them to you.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800881

you riding nowadays ?

Vicks screwed with this post Yesterday at 08:18 AM