User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Dusty1013 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Hi-Viz believer or non believer?

I wear hi-viz and think it helps with people seeing me. I don't really give much thought as to looking cool for people I don't know. I also don't really care or judge people who want to wear a t-shirt and no helmet or whatever. I have on occasion heard "Well if your that scared why even ride?" I don't ride around scared, just think it increases my ability to be seen. No false sense of security wearing it or anything like that either. I do have a nice leather jacket I wear sometimes so I ride the same either way. A personal preference what you choose to wear when you ride and no business of mine. So are you a hi-viz believer or think it doesn't matter or is very low on the cool factor?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 900
I would say non believer. I doubt people who don't see your bike would most likely not see your high viz either even with neon signs and fireworks. I'm sure others will swear by it and have "OMG I would be dead without hi viz" stories. IMO opinion hi viz is equal to revving your engine at a stop light. But what do I know, if you feel better wearing it and it gets you out on 2 wheels then go for it.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
IMO opinion hi viz is equal to revving your engine at a stop light.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. So every time you see someone wearing hi-viz the first thing you equate them to is some douche nozzle that revs his engine for a "look at me" reaction?

Having said that, I don't know if there is any way to substantiate whether or not hi-viz gear gets your average motorist's attention. It sure can't hurt though. I still think the best way to avoid being hit by a cage is to ride like they're out to kill you. Keep your situational awareness on high and your head on a swivel.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
High-viz is good for helping drivers who are paying attention see you sooner, but shouldn't be considered helpful attracting the attention of those who aren't.

So no, I don't consider it an effective safety device.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
I think that's a bit of a stretch. So every time you see someone wearing hi-viz the first thing you equate them to is some douche nozzle that revs his engine for a "look at me" reaction?

My thinking is if loud pipes save lives so does loud gear.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
I don't see how Hi-Viz/reflective garments could possibly hurt your visibility. So long as you ride assuming no one sees you regardless of what you're wearing you're better off than most.

It would be interesting to see a poll on this thread (although I'm sure it's been done before).
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
I've seen cars pull out in front of school busses, even brighter painted hotel vans, huge orange snowplows and even trains. Not to mention a bunch of brightly colored motorcycles.

I prefer stealth. They can't hit what they can't see.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,821
ditchs my HiViz jacket after I found to many drivers were drifitng over my way - I suspect it's the old "drive where you look" thing
Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
I agree that it helps those that are actively trying to look out for others, but to the typical brain dead driver I doubt it is of much benefit.

Will never forget sitting at a red light hearing a fire truck with sirens blaring coming up towards our intersection from the right side direction. The light turned green for our lanes and this guy starts blowing his horn at the guy in front of him. Well the guy in front of him obviously heard the sirens as well, and was waiting as the rest of us were, so the impatient horn blower pulls around the guy in front of him, zips out into the intersection right in front of the fire truck. Luckily for all involved the fire truck was taking a right, and had to slow down or he would have plowed that impatient idiot right in the passenger side.

People pull out in front of trains, 18 wheelers, etc, etc, etc, good luck with loud pipes, or hi-vis. Best to ride like you're invisible, because to many out on the road, you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
my riding buddies and I all started wearing hi-viz due to the DoD requirements to ride onto a base. But continue to ride with it even years later. I don't know if it makes us more noticeable, but it's no more expensive than 'cool guy' black.

We all recently stopped to eat during a ride and another patron at the burger place asked my buddy if he was working on the highway and how the traffic looked going south. Definitely a LOL moment looking at my buddy trying to figure out what the guy was talking about.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 461
cops and firefighters are REQUIRED to wear it....

so it couldn't HURT your chances to wear it on a bike. I'm a FF and we have to wear high viz gear (ie. vests) while on/near the road (working at an accident scene etc.); this is a Federal requirement based on research, etc. Here it is if you care: https://www.safetyequipment.org/c/std107-2010.cfm
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I went from a Hi-vis jacket to a tan Darien two piece and the difference was night and day.

Once riding season hits I'll be looking for a Hi-vis vest to wear. It really works.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,512
Consider the conditioning of most drivers. What are they trained to look for out of fear or safety concerns?

There have been studies showing how motorcyclist whose bikes and gear look like moto-cops are more often seen than those that don't have that look.

I would think that looking more like a construction worker, EMT, fireman, etc. will be something more drivers will notice before they will notice a rider who doesn't have this pattern and color.

It isn't so much about the color itself as it is what the driver's mind is filtering for. Many are not looking for motorcycles, so, they don't see us. But, they have programmed themselves to alert to "threats" which include this particular class of Hi-viz adorned personnel.

This is appealing to the lizard-brain which sub-consciously picks things out of the background and brings it to the level of conscious attention.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 01-24-2014 at 11:40 AM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
deutchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi Viz Useful?

I have had motorists come up to me while refilling and explain that they have been following me for the last 50/60 miles and wanted to see my jacket close up. (Aerostich road crafter and a full suit) comments were that I shone like a beacon ad the reflective fabric could be seen from half a mile away.
deutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Hi-viz is no guarantee that you'll be seen. It's just one item in your collection of protective strategies that you use to stay as safe as possible while riding. I find it very hard to believe that Hi-viz never helps under any circumstances, so why not use it to increase your chances of remaining safe, even if it's only by a little?
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote