Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
On more than one occasion, a first responder civilian has thanked me for wearing hi-viz and full gear. While not lizard-brained cagers, clearly it got noticed by someone.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Some Uk bike cops have been taken out wearing hiviz and with blue lights and siran. If the car driver doe not look then it does not matter what you wear.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,179
Wearing a Joe Rocket hi-viz jacket gets a noticeable reaction from drivers compared to a black leather Brooks jacket. With the black Brooks, more drivers tailgate and drive closer. With the hi-viz, more drivers keep their distance.

I have no idea why, but the effect is consistent. The hi-viz jacket is worn in the summer/warm weather and the Brooks in cold/cooler weather. One thing I have not tried is wearing the Brooks jacket with a hi-viz vest. I have noticed people burst out laughing when I wear the hi-viz jacket off the bike. That never happens with the Brooks, so I think it has something to do with the colors.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #19
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Yesterday I bought a Triumph hi-viz rain jacket. I must be getting old and sensible...

However I resisted the urge to buy the matching hi-viz rain trousers - so it looks as if I'm not ready to join the pipe-and-slippers brigade just yet!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #20
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 854
I wear High Vis. That being said, it is just another tool in the box. Wearing all the high vis clothing in the world won't help you if your riding skills suck and you have no clue how to position yourself correctly in traffic.

I have noticed that other drivers seem to have a different attitude towards you, they give you more space - and honeslty with as garish as the color really is, I dont think there's any question that it does make you more visible.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,952
It's just another tool in the set that helps the nut between the handlebars stay safe. No one tool is as important than situational awareness.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #22
Dusty1013 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
For myself I ride in all kinds of weather so I figured it can't hurt. I have access to but don't own a car. I ride 90% of the time with HD riders so I'm the out of place one riding in back on a BMW or Triumph but they don't mind as far as I know of course. But I have come across some scoffing at the hi-viz. One guy asked "What's up with the Beemer guys wearing Hi-viz?" I thought it was obvious so I didn't really have a profound answer. Like I said in the opening, wear a ninja suit if that's what you are into. Most people don't wear it and thought I'd get some input from the inmates. Nothing helps if you are not attentive and don't keep trying to improve your riding skills to become the best rider you can be.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1013 View Post
For myself I ride in all kinds of weather so I figured it can't hurt. I have access to but don't own a car. I ride 90% of the time with HD riders so I'm the out of place one riding in back on a BMW or Triumph but they don't mind as far as I know of course. But I have come across some scoffing at the hi-viz. One guy asked "What's up with the Beemer guys wearing Hi-viz?" I thought it was obvious so I didn't really have a profound answer. Like I said in the opening, wear a ninja suit if that's what you are into. Most people don't wear it and thought I'd get some input from the inmates. Nothing helps if you are not attentive and don't keep trying to improve your riding skills to become the best rider you can be.

Ask your buddy "what's up with all the Harley riders dressing up like pirates?"

*ducks behind wall*
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
New Hi Viz strategy

I have a hi viz darien which I still wear when I want a Darien jacket, but mostly wear a black road crafter with yellow ballistics. Lstely I have personally found my eye noticing Hi Viz helmets, maybe because they sit about the roofline of cars, or because they are moving as people turn their heads.

I think my next helmet will be Hi Viz and I'll get whatever jacket I want. That way when off the bike I don't look like a fireman wannabe or a spacemen, but MAY catch some extra attention on the road.

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #25
Dusty1013 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Ask your buddy "what's up with all the Harley riders dressing up like pirates?"

*ducks behind wall*
Well my Harley riding buddy doesn't really care what I ride or wear but it was some guy he knew that we were riding with. Of course I always think of something clever I could have said after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
I have a hi viz darien which I still wear when I want a Darien jacket, but mostly wear a black road crafter with yellow ballistics. Lstely I have personally found my eye noticing Hi Viz helmets, maybe because they sit about the roofline of cars, or because they are moving as people turn their heads.

I think my next helmet will be Hi Viz and I'll get whatever jacket I want. That way when off the bike I don't look like a fireman wannabe or a spacemen, but MAY catch some extra attention on the road.

Paul
I bought a Schuberth helmet this summer and couldn't really think of a good reason not to get the hi-viz so that's what I got. I would like to think since it's higher up and not behind the windshield and the like it might help.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #26
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 554
As others have said, wearing Hi Viz does not make you immune to morons, but it doesn't cure everything. As dorky as some may think it looks, there was a drastic reduction in the number of left-turners and people pulling out in front of me when I did switch to the Hi Viz from cool stealth black, but as I said, it doesn't cure everything...I've got an 18" titanium rod and a bone graft in my left leg to prove it. The driver of the truck did not see me despite a Hi Viz Kilimanjaro and helmet.

The key thing though is that it is another tool. Riding a bike is inherently dangerous...we all know this despite what others say, and it is your job as a rider to evaluate that risk, and if you choose, mitigate the risk with the tools available to you. To some, they are perfectly comfortable with the risk associated with riding completely unprotected. For others, they may need to dress up like a high viz Michelin man in a before throwing a leg over. Most of us are in the middle. As I'm already wearing at-least a jacket and helmet when I ride, choosing something very visible that will reduce (but not eliminate) the risk of me not making it home makes perfect sense.

-M
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #27
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857

Results
Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%). After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk. Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.73, 0.53 to 1.00). No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle. If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.

Conclusions

Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #28
crawfcj
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I added a hi-viz vest to my gear one year ago and I have noticed a big difference, particularly in night riding on urban interstate highways. Close tailgating has become rare. I also have high conspicuity tape all over my helmet and the combination is pretty striking from behind. I no longer feel comfortable without it. While it is only one factor in my safety plan, whatever lowers my risk is likely to keep me riding longer!
2012 CBR250R ABS
crawfcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #29
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,240
OK, we are all more aware of MC riders in general since we ride ourselves

BUT

A couple years ago I was on a very long one day ride with a couple other guys.
One of the other riders wore Hi-viz helmet and jacket. When I was behind the Hi-viz rider, he was very, VERY visible.

I was impressed.

A couple of seasons later, this is the new Hi-viz me: not from front or rear but you get the idea. (btw, thanks for the picture Shogs )

So I ask- what's more visible/ eye-catching? The Hi-viz? The white/black bike? Or am I just the same as any other MC rider?

DW and I are asking..............
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
I wear a tourmaster Hi-Vis and think it helps me be seen and reduce tailgating, but I "know" it helps people in stores I frequent remember me.