Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #31
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post

So I ask- what's more visible/ eye-catching? The Hi-viz? The white/black bike? Or am I just the same as any other MC rider?
Also important...You look like a cop in that getup on that bike....with cop brakes, cop motor, cop suspension...

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #32
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
I wear hi-viz jackets and shirts. I take off the jacket and have a bright orange or green reflective shirt under my body armor. My hydration pack is a bright green with reflective too. I also put LED strips and fog lights on my bikes, as well as strips of red/white DOT safety tape on the sides and rear of my topcase.

I still ride like I'm invisible, put better mirrors on my bikes and use them, leave my bike in gear when stopped at lights, point my bike between the cars ahead of me at lights, and rest my thumb on the horn while covering/using the clutch and brakes when something looks sketchy.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #33
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857

Results
Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%). After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk. Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.73, 0.53 to 1.00). No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle. If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.

Conclusions

Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.
That study may have not factored in the fact that riders who choose to wear dark helmets and clothing may not ride nearly as cautious and have more accidents than those who wear ATHVGATT.

Sorry if that was mentioned already, I didn't read the whole thread. (on break right now)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #34
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
I would say non believer... IMO opinion hi viz is equal to revving your engine at a stop light. But what do I know...

Wait, what ?

Someone wearing bright gear to PASSIVELY increase their chances to go home to their family is the SAME THING as somebody actively making a racket while stationary to attract attention like a precocious child ?

WTF ?

Your choice:

1) Somebody with open pipes racks the tach outside your open bedroom window for 5 minutes at random every hour all night long
or
2) A guy with fluorescent clothing rides around the block every half hour on a stock BMW.

One can be overcome by averting your eyes, the other inspires hatred toward all motorcyclists - and you don't see a difference ? really ?

For the record, I don't own any Hi-Viz gear, but your statement is one of the sillier things I've read in awhile.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #35
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 1,949
I don't place a ton of stock in it, but I think anything helps. I ride as defensively as I care to at the given moment, stay aware of my surroundings, and enjoy what I can.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #36
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,508
now that florescent green is a fashion color, and common, it does not work as well. When I was the only one, worked great. Also it fades horribly. I am back to silver and grey with reflective trim.

Looks better, and works as well.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #37
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
While agreeing with what so many have already said, about how nothing will make a moron notice you, I do think it helps with the non-morons. I can say that since Shesaid and I are almost always riding together, I can notice a big difference in her visibility between when she's wearing Hi-Viz vs. not. A quick check in the mirror to make sure she's still back there is so much quicker when she is wearing the Hi-Viz. The while helmet vs. black is also quite noticeable. While it is true that I'm specifically looking for a motorcyclist in these instances, I feel it would be foolish to overlook just how much more visible said motorcyclist can be depending on gear.

But mostly, we just ride roads where there isn't anyone to see us.

She's much more visible here:

Than she is here:

She blends right in with the road surface, the guardrail, and the surrounding rocks is the grey.

MV
Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #38
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I am a firm believer. I went from a black/silver riding jacket to hi-viz and noticed right away that people were giving me more room.

In addition, when I bought a helmet I purchased an ugly yellow one....gets lots of comments. That means they noticed.

Further, when riding back from Tenn. summer before last, I was eating at Burger King and a trucker came up to me and thanked me for wearing such high visibility gear. He said that he might not have seen me if I hadn't been so colorful. That was enough of an endorsement to me.

I am an HD rider and do stick out like a sore thumb. But, two of my hi-viz jackets are HD day-glo orange/black. Man are they obnoxious!!!

I routinely get lots of comments about my gear. But, I have never had anyone treat me weird about wearing it. Sure, I don't look like a badass, but I never was one really anyway. Hard for a Science Teacher to be a bad ass....unless he is breaking bad.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #39
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I think it helps some, it might also give my family's lawyer more ammo for more money for my family.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #40
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
I wear a hi-viz Olympia jacket. I don't expect miracles, and I certainly don't rely on it. But if it gives me a slight edge, I'll take it.

I got over caring about other peoples opinions of any task-oriented garb I might wear a long time ago, so what someone might think of it in terms of looks doesn't bother me.

If I'm doing errands, I usually just wear it into whatever store, I've yet to get any comments, aside from the "isn't that hot?" once when it was about 85 out.

OTH, black absorbs too much heat, IMHO, so for colors I don't understand the logic of that would be high on the list.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #41
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I have noticed hi viz helping, especially during low light times. For a while I wore dark colors, but when I switched to hi viz I noticed people jamming on brakes a intersections, driveways etc. maybe they think I'm a cop? Either way, I don't assume they see me, but it only has to make a difference once....
Old 01-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #42
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1013 View Post
I wear hi-viz and think it helps with people seeing me. So are you a hi-viz believer or think it doesn't matter or is very low on the cool factor?
Australian Post Office riders wear full hi-viz jackets, white helmet, vi-viz on their saddle bags, and a pole with a small hi-viz flag. High-viz pants in the rain. I live near a post office distribution center, so ever morning I pass them coming up the road toward me as they head out to their various runs. You can see them clear as day about a mile down the road coming toward you. Far more noticeable that the average rider wearing black.

In contrast the typical courier rider wears a construction type vest, looks like it hasn't been washed in 20 years, open at the front and flapping vertical behind them in the wind. Probably satisfies their employment conditions that they must wear one, but doesn't look like it makes one scrap of difference.

So to me it's not a question of hi-viz v's non high-vis. Both above examples are hi-viz but quite different in effectiveness. It's about what (bike and gear) is effective in improving your front on visibility. A white leather jacket is going to be far more effective than a black jacket with a couple of small hi-viz stripes. Someone riding a yellow full faring bike etc....
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #43
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Not really. The morons don't see fire truck with big flashing lights, neon paint and loud sirens. I doubt they will see me any better.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #44
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Also important...You look like a cop in that getup on that bike....with cop brakes, cop motor, cop suspension...

... and cop mustache! It's definately the mustache that gets the attention!

I have to agree with DC2wheels' experience. I spent a day following another rider wearing hi-viz and was also impressed. He stood out from the background even as he passed in and out of sunny and deeply shaded areas. His black bike practically disappeared from underneath him in the shadows.

I purchased a hi-vis vest after that. Cheap disposable highway worker model with reflective 2" stripes. I wear it over other gear I already have, like SheSaid. When it fades I will toss it and buy another.

It looks stupid. I feel stupid. I feel like an adult version of that hall pass 'safety guard' dork who I hated in grade school. I switched to a full face helmet and dark shades to hide my identity.

My mustache is still visable!

Bob
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #45
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
*** I don't assume they see me, but it only has to make a difference once....
This
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote