Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 04:11 AM   #16
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
It will always be a compromise. There can be no one bike, that is perfect for crossing an alligator infested swamp, and touring two-up on the big highways. The trick is to get the machine, that suits YOUR needs really well.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Cool2 They almost made it already! (years ago)

I'd take a DR350, bump it out to 400CC. give it the DR650's oil cooler, NikaSil plating, 5gal tank (don't have to have it full for single tracking, to keep the weight down) with the modern chassis/suspension of the DRZ400 while retaining the old DR's 6 speed box.
It must retain screw and lock-nut valves for easy on the road servicing (no parts required for valve adjustments) and F.I. to cope with todays shitty gas and changing altitudes.

...that's my perfect 200+ mile a day bike for single track woods exploring and highway droning @ 75 mph.

Oh yeah, I'll also take the old 91 DR650's seat, luggage rack, skid plates and mini-windshield WITH the kick starter.

I.M.H.O. Suzuki at one time, has had all the parts and capability (for cheap) but it never wound up all on one motorcycle.

So, what are the attributes that make the perfect bike for me? (above)
Simplicity, reliability, serviceability and flexibility.

As for touring two up...I.M.H.O. that just nixed 1/2 the fun of the adventure and escape. (you guys can have your big bikes for those needs)

rivercreep screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 06:56 PM
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #18
jessej
CruiserLuiser

Oddometer: 11
Cool2 "Adventure" is subjective

If you've jumped out of airplanes thousands of times, it isn't an adventure any more. If it's your first, WOW! There are 4 components to a good ADV bike: comfort, power, agility and reliability. I guess that could be said for any type of bike, but ADV more so. As I collect more calendar time, I don't yearn for "adventure" like I used to. At this point, I am very happy with a Wee-strom with seat mods, handlebar mods and appropriate Givi luggage. It has performed well in all the above categories and I get close to 60mpg with it on the highway. I've considered other 2-wheelers (Yamaha Tenere) but keep with the Wee because I now have it set up as I like it. After coming from many younger years with KLRs (which I revere), it gives me that same feel but with greater comfort. That should be worth 2 cents.

JesseJ

Jessej
jessej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #19
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,454
a wr250r does everything
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #20
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
For me, having a BMW on it makes a great DS bike. A large one that is. Like a R1200GS.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #21
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
As you move up in size and cc there should be a point where it all balances.

A european thumper somewhere between 450-650 cc.

Quote:
.... keep up with highway traffic, nimble enough to ride single track.

A euro thumper somewhere around 450-650 cc, depending on your idea of nimble.

Quote:
If you were to build frankenstien, what would it include and why?
I'd probably pass on that, it's expensive and takes a lot of time, blood, sweat and tears to create a monster...for what, a heavy bike that might not work as well as you imagined?

Really though, there's many good single cylinder adv platforms available that just need a simple fairing and minor modifications to be more comfortable on the long rides.

I like Noah's bike for instance. You could put one together in a few weekends and be done with it.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #22
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
I'd take a DR350, bump it out to 400CC. give it the DR650's oil cooler, NikaSil plating, 5gal tank (don't have to have it full for single tracking, to keep the weight down) with the modern chassis/suspension of the DRZ400 while retaining the old DR's 6 speed box.
It must retain screw and lock-nut valves for easy on the road servicing (no parts required for valve adjustments) and F.I. to cope with todays shitty gas and changing altitudes.

...that's my perfect 200+ mile a day bike for single track woods exploring and highway droning @ 75 mph.

Oh yeah, I'll also take the old 91 DR650's seat, luggage rack, skid plates and mini-windshield WITH the kick starter.

I.M.H.O. Suzuki at one time, has had all the parts and capability (for cheap) but it never wound up all on one motorcycle.

So, what are the attributes that make the perfect bike for me? (above)
Simplicity, reliability, serviceability and flexibility.

As for touring two up...I.M.H.O. that just nixed 1/2 the fun of the adventure and escape. (you guys can have your big bikes for those needs)
I wish Suzuki would EFI the DRZ and make it either a 6 speed or a wide ratio 5 speed. Or Yamaha would bump the WR250 to a 350. I would buy either of those bikes in a heartbeat.
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #23
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
I wish Suzuki would EFI the DRZ and make it either a 6 speed or a wide ratio 5 speed. Or Yamaha would bump the WR250 to a 350. I would buy either of those bikes in a heartbeat.
I'll agree for the most part but, I'll leave the liquid cooling behind for simplicity and ease of maint. and weight reduction...I understand the L.C. is needed for those who want increased performace per CC but, I don't need that much power. (a mellow 35hp is just fine)
And they need the old 91 DR650's 5+ gallon gas tank and seat.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #24
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
ADV ain't in the bike, it's in the rider!!!
Amen!! Every riders "adventure" is different. Ride what you brought.

"Don't get cruiser sloppy" Unknown Inmate
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #25
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbowrider View Post
Amen!! Every riders "adventure" is different. Ride what you brought.

And often the bike causes the adventure.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #26
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
250 is the sweet spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
a wr250r does everything
Or something similarly simple, practical, reliable, and economical.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
Qaz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I posted this in "some assembly required" because it seemed to fit that heading best in my mind. It was moved to this location and from the thread, I am not so sure that this is the right place, but what do I know?
I originally thought the replies would be a discussion on what is the right size gas tank, engine displacement, shaft or chain, windshield or small fairing, ect..... Instead, it went another direction (X bike + a,b,c,d, components), which is alright. I have my own ideas what would make the ideal ADV bike, which is based on the bikes I have ridden in the past and my yearly mileage since 1970. I had a low of 10,000 miles the first year to a six year run of 44,000+ miles a year, but even to this day, I am a steady 25,000 mile a year rider. I have never commuted on a motorcycle. The miles were all ridden on the weekend and vacation. That means I have had a lot of saddle time to think about likes and dislikes and what could be improved.
There is another thread on tank size elsewhere and bigger is better seems to be the general concensus. What about engine layout? Twins are popular, the big GS specifically, but you could easily fit a narrow four in the space of a horizontally opposed twin. Triumphs Tiger triple is capitalizeing on that, but is it better than the twin? This is the direction I thought the thread would go.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #28
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,513
One made'a rubber so it don't break when ya drop it!!!

If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #29
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
I posted this in "some assembly required" because it seemed to fit that heading best in my mind. It was moved to this location and from the thread, I am not so sure that this is the right place, but what do I know?
I originally thought the replies would be a discussion on what is the right size gas tank, engine displacement, shaft or chain, windshield or small fairing, ect..... Instead, it went another direction (X bike + a,b,c,d, components), which is alright. I have my own ideas what would make the ideal ADV bike, which is based on the bikes I have ridden in the past and my yearly mileage since 1970. I had a low of 10,000 miles the first year to a six year run of 44,000+ miles a year, but even to this day, I am a steady 25,000 mile a year rider. I have never commuted on a motorcycle. The miles were all ridden on the weekend and vacation. That means I have had a lot of saddle time to think about likes and dislikes and what could be improved.
There is another thread on tank size elsewhere and bigger is better seems to be the general concensus. What about engine layout? Twins are popular, the big GS specifically, but you could easily fit a narrow four in the space of a horizontally opposed twin. Triumphs Tiger triple is capitalizeing on that, but is it better than the twin? This is the direction I thought the thread would go.
I hear you.

Yet, the issue is in the word "adventure"; and what that means to each of us, individualists.

You envision an adventure that places demands on the machine; if not entirely dependent of the machine.
To many adventure is what happens on the road, in whatever way it comes. The machine, not so important. Wind in the hair and all that, you know... It suffices to be a twowheeler.
Check out Ride Reports and see that the reports with a huge following feature a wide array of motorcycles. Many of these might be considered absolutely unsuited for "adventure"...

So, indeed. This thread may attract a wide array of replies.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #30
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
I hear you.

Yet, the issue is in the word "adventure"; and what that means to each of us, individualists.

You envision an adventure that places demands on the machine; if not entirely dependent of the machine.
To many adventure is what happens on the road, in whatever way it comes. The machine, not so important. Wind in the hair and all that, you know... It suffices to be a twowheeler.
Check out Ride Reports and see that the reports with a huge following feature a wide array of motorcycles. Many of these might be considered absolutely unsuited for "adventure"...

So, indeed. This thread may attract a wide array of replies.
+1

My personal idea of a perfect "adventure" bike would be mostly street oriented but capable of some light offroading much like the Moto Morini Scrambler. I know it's quite different than most people's, but I love traveling on roads and highways and do very little to no offroading on my adventures

But since they don't sell them here...
If I had the time and money I'd get a naked mid-weight street bike with some decent torque down low, increase the suspension travel, bigger wheel on front, a few other mods to protect the bike and my hands and put on some road oriented dual sport tires so I can put on some serious road miles but still take on fire roads and easy trails when I feel the call

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote