Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
zaTTaz OP
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 177
Advice wanted - Best rides in Marlborough

Hey hey hey!

Other than gravel tracks with epic scenery (Molesworth, the passes at the start, Rainbow etc) can anyone recommend a few good places to go check out on a bike?

I've got the Leathem area and Mt Partridge on my list as well as seeing if I can make it to the Goulter hut along the river. I also know there is a nice wee loop around Rotoroa and Rotoiti, and am hopefully going to blat over the Waikakaho later this week (although it looks like the northside only accommodates walkers and MTB's?)

Are you still able to go over from the Onamalutu to Wakamaria? Any tracks out in the sounds worth a look? Old mining equipment hidden in the hills worth a gander?

Also if anyone on here is ever in the area and keen for a ride I head out most evenings rain or shine and during the day on some Thursdays and Fridays (depending on work).

Cheers,

Taz

zaTTaz screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 08:56 PM
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Mt Patriarch is one of my favorite rides. If you are thinking of heading out French Pass/Bulwer give me a yell.
We are thinking of doing the Penzance pylon track this weekend.
Dommie by sea http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843646
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,302
I may have a contact soon to get into Whataroa at the end of Port Underwood. Apparently there is an old plane wreck in there.

I don't think you're allowed over wakamarina - you're meaning the mtb track with 100 switchbacks on the descent? My ridng is pretty sedate nowadays. Done the firebreaks out of Havelock yet?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground View Post
How's that looking at the mo?
I did it nearly 10 years back on a 125 and it was overgrown and gnarly as hell.

Last time I stayed out Penzance Bay the XT was too loaded up to attempt it.

Taz, you'll see my latest reply over on AdvNZ.

Padmei, teh road around to Jerdans is in good knick at the mo, getting that bit further into Whataroa would be great.
I'll ask the ol' man about where the plane wreck is, we saw it a few years back while goat hunting out there.

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
How's that looking at the mo?
I did it nearly 10 years back on a 125 and it was overgrown and gnarly as hell.
Dunno, I havnt done it in a while either, had a look at the start of it the other day and it looked like 4x4's had been up it so I'll let you know after our attemt.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
zaTTaz OP
LOUD NOISES.

Haven't done the Firebreaks, will have a google. Cheers for the suggestion Padmei. Whataroa might have been what I was thinking of regarding the plane wreck. Blenheim 4x4 club will have a contact if you don't have any luck.
Not sure about Wakamarina, been years since I was up there. You used to be able to go all over the hills on the Onamalutu side but there are forestry gates everywhere now (even on legal roads ).
Nothing wrong with sedate, got to have the odd thing to keep you on your toes though ;)

Anyone done the ride out to the gap in the sounds/Tory Channel entrance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground View Post
Mt Patriarch is one of my favorite rides. If you are thinking of heading out French Pass/Bulwer give me a yell.
Definitely on the cards. Was hoping to camp there 2 weeks ago but got out voted and we ended up near St Arnaud, which was still a nice trip.

If you were able to do the Penzance on Friday I'd be keen to give it a nudge with you. Next chance I get at time off on a Sat or Sunday is reserved for The Clarence while it's open.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaTTaz View Post
Anyone done the ride out to the gap in the sounds/Tory Channel entrance?
Yeah I tried to last xmas. There is a pylon access road off the forestry rds. I followed it until I came to a long steepish drop. I ummed & ahhed cos I knew i could get down it but may not get back up again easily & I was lone wolfing it.
Instead I dropped down into a bay . I found a couple of guys playing golf on a small golfcourse on this rich guys section. They had been over there days before on 4wd but there is a locked gate back from the last bach. it would be a cool place to go & stand out on the rocks at the end. I always try to scout it out when going over on the ferry.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
zaTTaz OP
LOUD NOISES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Yeah I tried to last xmas. There is a pylon access road off the forestry rds. I followed it until I came to a long steepish drop. I ummed & ahhed cos I knew i could get down it but may not get back up again easily & I was lone wolfing it.
Instead I dropped down into a bay . I found a couple of guys playing golf on a small golfcourse on this rich guys section. They had been over there days before on 4wd but there is a locked gate back from the last bach. it would be a cool place to go & stand out on the rocks at the end. I always try to scout it out when going over on the ferry.
I got a name from the local DOC guy a few months =/ back, will chase it up, set a date and organize a trip out if you're keen. Guts of it is, they call it No 1 The Mainland (the farm at the end) and it is managed for the owner by a guy who is all for access to non retarded folk. It's just a day trip rather than an overnighter I believe (not that you'd want to be tenting in that area anyway to be honest)

Was that the big clay drop right near the end that you turned back? I'm out on Arapawa a bit and eye it all up from there, can't quite see how steep it is but it looks 'interesting', especially if it was wet
Speaking of Arapawa, would love to do a bit of a trip around there sometime this year or next.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Oyster bay? Guy by the name of Allan?
When we were commercially paua diving we used to tow the inflatable out there with the old Hilux and camp up.
If it was too shit for a dive, set the net out in the bay, go for a pig hunt and a round of golf to finish up the day.

Work, what bloody work

I never made it out further than the Oyster Bay turn off, however I'm keen to have a trip out there lads if we can get the permission.

One of the Marlborough trail rider groups used to organize rides right out to the old whalers lookout.

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Padmei
enamoured

yeah would have been oyster bay. I didn't speak to the owner, just some guys camping nearby. He was building a pretty impressive bach over there
Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Tory heads is a good ride.... Last time I was in there it was gated off as they were logging the area... but that was 2 years ago.. Gates only stop
things with 4 wheels...
Old 01-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Went through the Penzance pylon track yesterday and its great. very technical though with lots of steep bedrock climbs with loose rocks, worth it though as it makes an awesome 140km loop from my place and best started from the Elaine Bay end.