Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #76
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
Very odd that black gear is "normal" and light-colored helmets and bright gear must be defended. Some posts say that it shows dirt more.

Do you believe that black gear helps you ride more safely? Why are you scared to wear non-conforming colors?

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #77
Triumphdave
Bean here back again

Oddometer: 4
Yes indeed. You have to be the mind reader on the bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
I agree that it helps those that are actively trying to look out for others, but to the typical brain dead driver I doubt it is of much benefit.

Will never forget sitting at a red light hearing a fire truck with sirens blaring coming up towards our intersection from the right side direction. The light turned green for our lanes and this guy starts blowing his horn at the guy in front of him. Well the guy in front of him obviously heard the sirens as well, and was waiting as the rest of us were, so the impatient horn blower pulls around the guy in front of him, zips out into the intersection right in front of the fire truck. Luckily for all involved the fire truck was taking a right, and had to slow down or he would have plowed that impatient idiot right in the passenger side.

People pull out in front of trains, 18 wheelers, etc, etc, etc, good luck with loud pipes, or hi-vis. Best to ride like you're invisible, because to many out on the road, you are.

Sometime pipes help and always have the headlight on so cant see that the high viz will help to the front,
Some might think you are CHIPS!

He hee
Triumphdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #78
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
I extended the tail of my scooter six inches with a modified tail light because the original was tucked back under the spare: The new fixture (top photo) has double LEDs and really shows up.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #79
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphdave View Post
Sometime pipes help and always have the headlight on so cant see that the high viz will help to the front,
Some might think you are CHIPS!

He hee
Have you tried a hi-viz cop 'stache?

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #80
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
My son found a shop in Orlando that makes Hi Viz garments and had them sew up a vest .....police blue with yellow stripes over each shoulder. Just by riding around town he has seen drivers pull over for him and generally check him out longer than usual. It's the blue that does it , in my opinion, that police blue strikes deep into most brains. It also helps that he rides a BMW
F 650 with big silver Jesse Bags. Summary : He looks like a cop.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #81
DavidM1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I agree with those who say "look like a cop".

A white BMW, black jacket and a white helmet has certainly worked for me. Sometimes it's a little OTT and the car drivers overreact and actually swerve out of the way when they see me coming (what's the American term - lining it?).

I always give a wave in thanks. I like the European "stick your foot out for thanks" method - the first time I did it I wasn't ready for the wind-force on my waving leg. Since we drive on the other side of the road here in the UK, it's usual to wave your left hand in thanks as you wizz past.

DavidM1 screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 04:04 PM
DavidM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #82
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Very odd that black gear is "normal" and light-colored helmets and bright gear must be defended. Some posts say that it shows dirt more.

Do you believe that black gear helps you ride more safely? Why are you scared to wear non-conforming colors?
While there is a segment of the riding community that puts fashion and image above all else, in general black gear is simply practical as it doesn't show road grime which builds up quickly, especially if you're a daily rider, and typically riding gear can't just be thrown in a washing machine. I do have some high-viz gear but rarely use it for that reason.
That it doesn't seem to make any real difference is a secondary consideration, not a justification to not use it. Personally, I prefer additional lighting as it works better in more conditions than high-viz
Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #83
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,003
Hi-vis SCREAMS to be seen.

I can see hunters' hi-vis clothes from over a mile away across valleys when riding in the woods. They POP out and are almost impossible to miss.

On the road I see riders wearing hi-vis gear without even looking for them. They are 100X more visible than everything else, in heavy traffic, or in the fog, dusk or dawn. I see them even when I'd been daydreaming or was distracted.

Lights are directional. You only notice them if they're facing you. But hi-vis vests & helmets can be seen from all directions.

Being seen improves the odds in your favor. That's a smart thing to do.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #84
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

Being seen improves the odds in your favor. That's a smart thing to do.
I agree, but they have to be able to see you in the first place.

I'm on the road 8 to 10 hours a day as a city P&D driver which given me ample opportunity to observe what works.
I'm not saying high-viz doesn't have any benefit, but you don't need to be seen a long way off, you need to be seen by those in close proximity to you. Many riders I see have lousy roadcraft, riding in blind spots, tailgating, or poor lane positioning that makes visibility enhancements pointless. If they can't see you, they won't see you.

There's two reasons I prefer lighting, first is it will cast a "light cloud" in poor visibility conditions such as darkness, rain, fog, and snow. Second is the greatest threat is left turners where "directional" lighting is the most effective, and high-viz the least.

Not believing is different than not using.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #85
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,676
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #86
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
That pic doesn't show the optional "tacti-'stache".

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #87
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Well.................

My Ural does have the optional machine gun mount.........

Unfortunately they never offered the anti tank missile launcher for the civilian market.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #88
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
I think that's a bit of a stretch. So every time you see someone wearing hi-viz the first thing you equate them to is some douche nozzle that revs his engine for a "look at me" reaction?

Having said that, I don't know if there is any way to substantiate whether or not hi-viz gear gets your average motorist's attention. It sure can't hurt though. I still think the best way to avoid being hit by a cage is to ride like they're out to kill you. Keep your situational awareness on high and your head on a swivel.
That's my riding survival style.... Always pretending that all the cages WANT to kill me...

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #89
NERMagilla
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I wear it and feel like it is just one tool in the tool box, lights, loud horn, defensive riding, riding skill, all make it less likely that you will be squashed like a bug
NERMagilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #90
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Agnostic

I reckon hi-viz gear can help a bit, but along with ATGATT, ABS, MSF, CBT, track day developed skills and the like, it is no panacea.

People who think their superior gear and skills are their guardian angel deceive themselves. Don't rely on the senses of others to avoid you.

Ride aware and to the conditions. It is your own attitude, senses, and common sense that will keep you out of trouble.