Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #91
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
From my experience with bicycles out here - those folks who dress in dark, asphalt colored pant and jersey, on an asphalt colored bike with an asphalt colored helmet can really blend in and disappear from view during a quick glance. I have yet to miss seeing (edit - add seeing) a bicycle when they wear hi viz. Hunters wear camo to blend in to the woods... A biker (bicycle or motorcycle) that wants to wear what amounts to asphalt camo is kind of asking for it IMHO. That said, I agree that hi viz is not the prevent-all when it comes to getting run over. There is no substitute for other drivers being attentive.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #92
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1013 View Post
So are you a hi-viz believer or think it doesn't matter or is very low on the cool factor?
I wear Black for the most part. I have a Green and Black Belstaff Discovery and an Orange and Black Belstaff Adventure. Other than that all my gear is Black.

I use lateral motion to have other road users take note of my presence.

Do bright colors help? Sure In most instances they would help. An exception would be Alien Vomit Green in the Springtime foliage is like camouflage.

I personally find bright colors distracting when I see the sleave in my line of sight or when reflected in my mirrors.

An alert rider can easily be safe without hi-viz.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 AM   #93
simonm2211
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Talking At the very least, it can't hurt...

Like a few have mentioned, I noticed a difference in driver behavior when I started wearing hi-viz. Car drivers left a little more room, cutting in front was less frequent and there were fewer events of pulling out of side streets or left hand turns that caused hard braking.

My theory is that in addition to being more visible, car drivers perceive hi-viz riders a little differently; there is probably a strong correlation between wearing hi-viz and other passive and active safety behaviors (wearing ATGATT, being aware of good positioning in traffic, etc.) and many of the negative stereotypes drivers associate with riders don't translate to hi-viz riders as strongly. I think I get a little more consideration.

It's only one part of my plan to mitigate the risks but it's pretty high on that list.
simonm2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #94
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Don't rely on others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
There is no substitute for other drivers being attentive.
There is no substitute for a motorcyclist being attentive.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:58 AM   #95
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 795
I've kept this picture for a number of years. In a sea of black, if you scan your eyes across the page, which colors pop out at you first? Notice the guy on the left? Where do your eyes instantly go to first?

There's no doubt in my mind that high vis does make you more visible to surrounding drivers, and thus increases the chance they can see you.
Which is better than them not seeing you.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #96
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonm2211 View Post
Like a few have mentioned, I noticed a difference in driver behavior when I started wearing hi-viz. Car drivers left a little more room, cutting in front was less frequent and there were fewer events of pulling out of side streets or left hand turns that caused hard braking.
this has been my experience as well
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #97
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,177
The pedestal mount on the Ural can accept a light MG...

I'm lookin' for a ring mounted M2 .50 cal...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #98
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I've kept this picture for a number of years. In a sea of black, if you scan your eyes across the page, which colors pop out at you first? Notice the guy on the left? Where do your eyes instantly go to first?

There's no doubt in my mind that high vis does make you more visible to surrounding drivers, and thus increases the chance they can see you.
That yellow trike. Both my scooters are white (ivory) and the large unbroken areas of white make me quite visible. Feels that way, drivers seem to see me.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 AM   #99
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
One point that I haven't seen covered anywhere, if you wear hi-viz its my experience your far less likely to get picked on by the cops.

Just the other day he had the speed gun on me and I'm well over the limit. He just smiled at what he thinks is some old pensioner as I go past and I wave back. If I'd of looked like a street racer or outlaw, no doubt I would have been $400 poorer.

Happens to often not to be the case.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #100
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
I've kept this picture for a number of years. In a sea of black, if you scan your eyes across the page, which colors pop out at you first?
What about ONE black rider in a sea of yellow?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #101
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I wear a HV vest and it does make you more noticeable, especially in rain. An all black or dark coloured bike with a dark coloured rider does blend into the background and they are not immediately noticeable and unless they are coming straight at you can be hard to pick out.

We all spend the bucks on our bikes and the $ 50. or so for a HV vest is well worth the investment. Visibility is only part of the game when riding a motorcycle but it is part of the equation in trying to stay alive out there. Every little bit helps.

As one of the previous pictures showed, there were 2 people wearing HV and you can immediately pick them out of the crowd.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #102
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,759
Quote:

Good point with your photo.
I wear hi-viz but I still pretend that i am invisible to others on the road.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #103
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
There is no substitute for a motorcyclist being attentive.
^^^This above all else. Ride strategically. Adjust the strategy moment to moment as needed.^^^

My thoughts on hi-vis are that while it is no guarantee of being seen by everyone, it is helpful with those who are looking, not the clueless, and there will always be the clueless. It is a tool to be used, but not relied on.

One point not mentioned in the the thread is the nature of camouflage and how it works. The key to effective camo is blending into the background, but a misconception is that the colors are the most important aspect, when the real camo effect relies primarily on breaking up the outline of the person or thing you wish to hide. Reverse the principle to be seen, and you will want to present an unbroken outline. A very broken up and busy hi-vis jacket with patches of black, hi-viis green, etc will not be as effective as a solid h-vis green or possibly even a solid other less visible color like red or blue and in some cases even black. It is definitely something to factor into the equation.

Good thread, good thought provoking info all around.
DaLunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #104
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
What about ONE black rider in a sea of yellow?

when 99.98% of riders wear yellow, I will consider that
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #105
Ironman606
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
That picture doesn't prove HI. Viz is more visible but that contrast is more visible.... If I were to take a picture of a bunch of guys in HI viz and only a few guys in black, the ones in black would stick out... Hi viz isn't a total solution to being seen, can't argue it's doesn't help, but as been said it's no substitute for situational awareness.