User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #301
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Yalta

The next day it was decided i should take my bike to get checked by voler's (vladimir) friend as he said i have along trip and his friend races enduro bikes so knows all

It turns out he not only racers enduro bikes but raced DRZ's so was happy to see me on one, DRZ riders are the coolest overlanders out there

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 06:51 AM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #302
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ukraine: Leaving Yalta

So Yalta was a place i think i could find myself living, very nice and i felt a great friendship with vladimir like we could quit easy be very close friends. he is a great guy and i plan to go back and see him again.

The problem for me is not meeting people as this seem easy for me in my life but sometimes saying the goodbyes, i stayed 3 days in Yalta and then it was time to go.................

On the night before i left we went to the seafront and met all his freinds and drunk hot tea with whisky

After a few drinks one of the girls asked if i was leaving early in the morning, she was super pretty so i replied "maybe, maybe not?" with a smile and vladimir laughed

On the morning of my leaving Vladimir took me to the road out as i was to head North then East again with no fixed plan of where i will stop or where to go only knowing East is the way i am going

So i followed him to the road out and we said are goodbyes and then i got on my bike and rode about 5 meters and stopped and turn round to Vladimir and said with a smile on my face

"Do you speak English" as this is the first words i said to him on are meeting

He smiled back and then i rode off
Old 01-25-2014, 05:41 AM   #303
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ukraine heading East with no fixed plan

So i was on the road again and made stops for food and fuel, sometimes i plan for a quick stop but this never happens and i end up talking to someone even if they dont speak English i still talk

My Ex girlfriend who is Russian and lives in Moscow said when i left for this trip she was worried about the language issues i will have but on my whole trip i never had any issues with language at all.

You dont need to speak the same language to communicate with people

Food stop

Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #304
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ukraine: Berdyansk

So i got lost and found myself in the sea side town of Berdyansk

As always it was not long before i made new friends

These guys could smash out some mega wheelies near vertical on the back wheel and the police we passed loved it

So we rode around town showing me the sites and even rode on the sea front foot path, when in Rome

They guy on the CBR had to head off but told me to meet him her later at night, i had a walk round and asked for directions to a hotel however i never stayed at a hotel as i made some more friends who said i am staying with them, great couple who also cleaned my clothes and feed/water me

I must say the whole of Ukraine was like this for me for my trip and it is a great hospitable country, i know they now have problems with there government now and i wish for them the best outcome with this current situation

So the lovely couple i was to stay with

Old 01-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #305
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Berdyansk, Ukraine

So at night i met back up with my biker friends

Bishkek to Kabul ?

So we met up with a friend of the couple i was staying with who wanted to practice English with a native speaker and she also stayed in the flat with us, real nice girl however for her it must of been a nightmare to understand me

I speak very fast and have a dodgy accent, later on in Bishkek i met a man who could not understand me speaking English so another biker and his wife who were from Columbia who translate what i was saying to this man in English

Basically i would speak in my native tongue to them and then they would repeat back to this man what i said in English also, pretty strange and funny but that meeting is later on in this blog

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 09:27 AM
Old 01-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #306
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next day it was time for goodbyes again))))))))

I still stay in contact with them and they are snowboard instructors in the Ukraine Carpathian mountains in which i plan to visit so maybe next winter i will catch up with them.....

Great couple

So i headed off again as i do with no plan where to stop or hotel/rooms booked just letting fate decide where i will end up staying

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 06:46 AM
Old 01-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #307
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
Bishkek to Kabul ?

Classic!!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #308
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back in Yalta...

I forgot to mention that after Romer serviced the Sputnik Explorer he was a little concerned with a clicking noise coming from the engine so he decided we should take he to the guy he himself learnt from who is calls the master

So we went to see the master

The Master, Romer and me

They like there KTM's here

Nope green is not my color

So they adjusted something and romer took it out for a test ride and all was ok

After this the master asked why i plan to go to Tajikistan and could not understand, why not Spain why not South America he said shaking his head.

He then called me inside his workshop as he wanted to show me something and told me of another gentleman who passed by a few years before and said he was heading to Siberia and the master said again why Siberia there is nothing there shaking his head again...

Anyway the gentleman who passed by this way a few years ago left a sticker in the masters workshop so the master showed me this

Any ideas who this guy is who passed by a few years before me.......?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #309
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Man, you do get around, don't you? A bit of a holiday and you're off to the Pamir's on a pushbike! Crikey! Great update! Your ability to very quickly make friends despite language barriers is beyond impressive.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #310
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 246
very cool write up, looked thru every page, keep up te good work.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 AM   #311
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ukraine: Luhansk

So i found my self in the East Ukrainian city of Luhansk

Grandfather Lenin is never far away in these parts of the world

I parked the bike up and as always people walking passed saw the foreign number plate and also the British flag (Union Jack) on my bike and some people asked questions like where i was going and if i really rode my bike here from the United Kingdom.

So then i met Tatjana and asked her if she knew anywhere i could stay for the night and also somewhere safe to park my bike

She told me to wait and about 20 minutes, she came back and said she studies at a university near by and there is a spare room i am welcome to stay in right next to her room and the bike will be safe parked out the back.

So i headed of to this university with my new friend Tatjana and we parked my bike around the back of her university

After we went for a short walk and she showed me around and we joked and laughed about random things, i really liked Tatjana

So we headed back to her university and i jumped in the shower and had a clean up and Tatjana insisted she was to make dinner

Tatjana's room mate joined us for dinner which was great and we all talked alot and got on real well.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 AM   #312
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So as mentioned i work in the oil/gas sector which is a real flexible and rewarding job, when i work i am away for short or long periods and when i am not working my time is my own to do what ever i like.

So whilst in Luhansk work contacted me so i had to head back for 10 days to the UK

I asked Tatjana if there was anywhere i could store the bike for 10 days and she said yes no worries we will store it at my fathers who lives in a village about 80km from Luhansk so we headed off there. I gave her my helmet and gloves to wear and asked if the police would mind me not wearing a helmet and she just smiled and said it will be ok. On this trip as you will find out in most country's onward i give people lifts i met. either random local people hitch hiking or with people i am staying with. If anyone is planning a solo trip then consider taking i bike that 2 people can fit on

Her mother and father are real nice people and greeted us with food

I then said my goodbyes for 10 days and caught the next flight out

So i spent 10 days of this in the British North Sea

And then caught the next flight back to Ukraine

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 04:03 AM
Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 AM   #313
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

East Ukraine: Luhansk

So i was back in Luhansk and my bike was 80km in her family's village so for the weekend i was just hanging out with Tatjana

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 01:47 PM
Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #314
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So after a great weekend in Luhansk we headed to her parents village and the plan was to have a BBQ with her family and friends, first thing is first though and i prepped the Sputnik Explorer

As i only use maps to navigate sometimes there are roads that are not present on the maps i am using and some roads go on for miles so as i was heading East i decided i needed some form of navigation equipment so whilst back in the UK of Ebay i brought some serious complex sophisticated navigation equipment for $10

it was a real complex operation fitting it to the bike

So after the bike was prepped and ready to roll Tatjana and her friend show me the village they grow up in, it was a fine village

Her Father got the BBQ going

Then we all ate (eat) and talked so much, it was a great night and in all i had a great time with Tatjana and her friends and family

Her father also showed me around his house and a old motorbike he had joking that if i stay a few more days he will fix it and come with me

Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #315
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ukriane to Russia

So i discussed my route with Tatjana's father, mainly with hand signals and other methods but we understood each other well.

The plan was to head to Krasnodar in Ukraine and cross into Russia and head to the Russian town of Donesk riding along the E40 road

Once in Russia i then planed to ride to the Russian city of Volgograd (used to be called Stalingrad and is the city that cost the Nazi Germany government the war) and then to Saratov to cross into Kazakhstan heading to Uralsk along the E38 road and from there make a route from Kazakhstan to Kyrgyzstan & then to Tajikistan

Well this was the plan for now anyway

So i got to the border and was real friendly as always on both sides and a very quick process, the guards helped me fill the forms in and before long i was in Russia

Russian National Flag

I am no stranger to Russia as since 2007 till 2012 i was in a long term relationship with a girl from Moscow so i would travel there often, we are still good friends today but just drifted apart, this is the down side to working away alot i am afraid, sword cuts both ways.

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 05:43 PM