ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike
 
Crashed Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Oddometer: 2,186
OHV and Lew Enforcement

I've been cautioned by the 3rd party MVD by my office that the primarily off road OHV tags would cause me problems riding in the city on freeways and surface streets if pulled over. In my handful of chance meetings with DPS and MCSO when stopped on paved roads this had never been an issue and they never even asked about the tags.

I think the 3rd party MVD get a % of total fees and want their slice of a bigger pie.

As far as you paperwork, I bet they registered you correctly based on the fee, but had no way to give an appropriate temp tag for OHV. Go to a 3rd party MVD or wait in line with the unwashed masses ans request a temp tag, to just pay for the needed tags on the spot. Still be way ahead of the full street reg, even if you paid for the OHV twice.
__________________
Nothing upsets a woman like a man at leisure.
Crashed Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
WantToRideMoar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Oddometer: 307
Quote:
As far as you paperwork, I bet they registered you correctly based on the fee, but had no way to give an appropriate temp tag for OHV. Go to a 3rd party MVD or wait in line with the unwashed masses ans request a temp tag, to just pay for the needed tags on the spot. Still be way ahead of the full street reg, even if you paid for the OHV twice.
If I wanted to do this, am I missing some paperwork?

All I have is my insurance card from my insurance company, a bill of sale from GoAZ, a "We Owe" statement declaring all payments satisfied, and an ADOT Secure Odometer Disclosure document. No title or lien quasi-title.

I feel like I got more paperwork when I bought my Shadow 2 years ago, but I bought that one cash with no lienholder. And I obviously allowed the dealership to register it as a normal motorcycle.
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
1993 XR600R
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays
 
Jeff aka BOLT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost in the Mojave
Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
What do you ride...
from the factory street legal bikes
or
dirt bikes you "converted" for street use?
Both... and I rarely ever use my bikes on the street for anything other than stitching trails together... or riding things like state or fed parks that now restrict traffic to street vehicles only. The latter means I should have a street reg.

All my bikes are currently registered as PRIMARY ON ROAD USE and have the additional OHV Steeker.

They made it very clear that hopping on the bike to commute to work or run around town for errands was NOT LEGAL with an PRIMARILY OFF ROAD registration.

It's all good... at least I can plate my bikes now that we have a place in AZ. Both my CA bikes still have CA plates.
__________________
Jeff aka BOLT
RIDERS - Just a bunch of guys that wanna go riding !

Guests are encouraged.

Jeff aka BOLT screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 04:59 PM
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #19
Xskydiver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Xskydiver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Willcox, AZ
Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
Thanks fellers... It sounds like there was no reason for them to sell me an OHV sticker at all since I paid for a street plate for my bikes. I was impressed with the AZ MVD. They were so sure of the rules compared to what I had experienced my whole life at CA DMV.

Apparently they are just as screwed up... just have more confidence about giving bad info and charging unnecessary fees.

Any reason I shouldn't just let the OHV tags expire going forward ?
Two reasons.
#1. With OHV you get access to state trust land. Without the OHV you have to buy a separate permit or hunting license.
#2. Save a bunch of money on your registration and support OHV access. I personally feel I spend enough on highway registration with my other three vehicles and trailer so saving the vehicle license tax on my bikes in favor of supporting OHV in AZ isn't "gaming the system", to me, it's putting the money where it belongs. My bikes make almost no impact on the highways anyway.

Registering "primarily offroad" with OHV sticker gets you an "MC" plate, $5 vehicle license tax and $25 OHV sticker. "offroad only" gets the "RV" plate (I think it's about $7) to which you can add a $25 OHV sticker. You may also register as "primarily on road". The on road registration is based on your vehicle's value. You may add an OHV sticker to that plate as well for $25. An "MC" plate is street legal in any circumstance no matter what you pay for the vehicle license tax. The OHV sticker is still fairly new to Arizona and many if not most MVD (that's what they call it here for some reason) workers have no real understanding of it.
__________________
"Adversity doesn't build character. It reveals it."

Xskydiver screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 07:31 AM
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
2 SPOT
wannabe
 
2 SPOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: valley of the sunstroke, AZ
Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver View Post
MVD (that's what they call it here for some reason)
well it stands for motor vehicle division, division of what? ADOT, they call it that for some reason too,,, it stands for arizona department or transportation, i suppose they made a division for motor vehicle cause it would be strange buying registration from a guy holding an orange flag for road construction on the side of the street.

just messin with ya
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #21
seabee1
we build, we fight
 
seabee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,478
most other places call it DMV.
__________________
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver View Post
Two reasons.
#1. With OHV you get access to state trust land. Without the OHV you have to buy a separate permit or hunting license.
#2. Save a bunch of money on your registration and support OHV access. I personally feel I spend enough on highway registration with my other three vehicles and trailer so saving the vehicle license tax on my bikes in favor of supporting OHV in AZ isn't "gaming the system", to me, it's putting the money where it belongs. My bikes make almost no impact on the highways anyway.

Registering "primarily offroad" with OHV sticker gets you an "MC" plate, $5 vehicle license tax and $25 OHV sticker. "offroad only" gets the "RV" plate (I think it's about $7) to which you can add a $25 OHV sticker. You may also register as "primarily on road". The on road registration is based on your vehicle's value. You may add an OHV sticker to that plate as well for $25. An "MC" plate is street legal in any circumstance no matter what you pay for the vehicle license tax. The OHV sticker is still fairly new to Arizona and many if not most MVD (that's what they call it here for some reason) workers have no real understanding of it.
Better double check that #1 reason. Pretty sure it isn't right.
__________________
1989 R100GS
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #23
Hucker
Lost
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Southern AZ
Oddometer: 673
I was told that you cannot ride a "mostly off-road" registered bike on the Interstate. All other roads were fair game. But, it seems like AZ needs to put out better information on this situation.

Knowing I wanted (read: needed) to use the Interstate on my bike, I went with the on road registration with the OHV sticker to allow access to the OHV areas.

Don't know which way is correct...
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #24
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays
 
Jeff aka BOLT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost in the Mojave
Oddometer: 1,224
AZ Parks guy... got any knowledge on this one: MVD has made it clear to me three times... again Wednesday last week... that a PRIMARILY OFF ROAD registration allows an mc to travel from OHV area to OHV area ONLY.

No cruising around town for errands... no commuting to work or school. OHV activity ONLY.

Whether LEO will stop and check you on this is not my point. I'm interested in what the law says.
__________________
Jeff aka BOLT
RIDERS - Just a bunch of guys that wanna go riding !

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #25
Hucker
Lost
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Southern AZ
Oddometer: 673
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
Xskydiver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Xskydiver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Willcox, AZ
Oddometer: 220
This should clear it up. Arizona Revised Statutes

28-1177. Off-highway vehicle user fee; indicia; registration; state trust land recreational permit; exception
A. A person shall not operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in this state without an off-highway vehicle user indicia issued by the department if the all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle meets both of the following criteria:
1. Is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
2. Has an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.
B. A person shall apply to the department of transportation for the off-highway vehicle user indicia by submitting an application prescribed by the department of transportation and a user fee for the indicia in an amount to be determined by the director of the department of transportation in cooperation with the director of the Arizona game and fish department and the Arizona state parks board. The user indicia is valid for one year from the date of issuance and may be renewed. The department shall prescribe by rule the design and placement of the indicia.
C. When a person pays for an off-highway vehicle user indicia pursuant to this section, the person may request a motor vehicle registration if the vehicle meets all equipment requirements to be operated on a highway pursuant to article 16 of this chapter. If a person submits a signed affidavit to the department affirming that the vehicle meets all of the equipment requirements for highway use and that the vehicle will be operated primarily off of highways, the department shall register the vehicle for highway use and the vehicle owner is not required to pay the registration fee prescribed in section 28-2003. This subsection does not apply to vehicles that as produced by the manufacturer meet the equipment requirements to be operated on a highway pursuant to article 16 of this chapter.
D. The director shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, seventy per cent of the user fees collected pursuant to this section in the off-highway vehicle recreation fund established by section 28-1176 and thirty per cent of the user fees collected pursuant to this section in the Arizona highway user revenue fund.
E. An occupant of an off-highway vehicle with a user indicia issued pursuant to this section who crosses state trust lands must comply with all of the rules and requirements under a state trust land recreational permit. All occupants of an off-highway vehicle with a user indicia shall obtain a state trust land recreational permit from the state land department for all other authorized recreational activities on state trust land.
F. This section does not apply to off-highway vehicles, all-terrain vehicles or off-road recreational motor vehicles that are used off-highway exclusively for agricultural, ranching, construction, mining or building trade purposes.



It's lengthy but section C is what we are talking about. A key point is the phrase "off of highways" not offroad. Most roads are not highways. It is however, legal to drive on highways. You could debate #1 in section A as to whether or not the vehicle is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over "unimproved terrain" however many, many roads in AZ are unimproved. Also section E states the legality of crossing state trust land.
__________________
"Adversity doesn't build character. It reveals it."

Xskydiver screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 06:51 PM
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #27
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays
 
Jeff aka BOLT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost in the Mojave
Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver View Post
This should clear it up. Arizona Revised Statutes

28-1177. Off-highway vehicle user fee; indicia; registration; state trust land recreational permit; exception
A. A person shall not operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in this state without an off-highway vehicle user indicia issued by the department if the all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle meets both of the following criteria:
1. Is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
2. Has an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.
B. A person shall apply to the department of transportation for the off-highway vehicle user indicia by submitting an application prescribed by the department of transportation and a user fee for the indicia in an amount to be determined by the director of the department of transportation in cooperation with the director of the Arizona game and fish department and the Arizona state parks board. The user indicia is valid for one year from the date of issuance and may be renewed. The department shall prescribe by rule the design and placement of the indicia.
C. When a person pays for an off-highway vehicle user indicia pursuant to this section, the person may request a motor vehicle registration if the vehicle meets all equipment requirements to be operated on a highway pursuant to article 16 of this chapter. If a person submits a signed affidavit to the department affirming that the vehicle meets all of the equipment requirements for highway use and that the vehicle will be operated primarily off of highways, the department shall register the vehicle for highway use and the vehicle owner is not required to pay the registration fee prescribed in section 28-2003. This subsection does not apply to vehicles that as produced by the manufacturer meet the equipment requirements to be operated on a highway pursuant to article 16 of this chapter.
D. The director shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, seventy per cent of the user fees collected pursuant to this section in the off-highway vehicle recreation fund established by section 28-1176 and thirty per cent of the user fees collected pursuant to this section in the Arizona highway user revenue fund.
E. An occupant of an off-highway vehicle with a user indicia issued pursuant to this section who crosses state trust lands must comply with all of the rules and requirements under a state trust land recreational permit. All occupants of an off-highway vehicle with a user indicia shall obtain a state trust land recreational permit from the state land department for all other authorized recreational activities on state trust land.
F. This section does not apply to off-highway vehicles, all-terrain vehicles or off-road recreational motor vehicles that are used off-highway exclusively for agricultural, ranching, construction, mining or building trade purposes.



It's lengthy but section C is what we are talking about. A key point is the phrase "off of highways" not offroad. Most roads are not highways. It is however, legal to drive on highways. You could debate #1 in section A as to whether or not the vehicle is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over "unimproved terrain" however many, many roads in AZ are unimproved. Also section E states the legality of crossing state trust land.
It raises as many questions as it answers. Seems to me that it really doesn't matter whether one pays for on or off highway MC plates as long as you have the OHV indicia. One saves you money and if it is true that the "Primarily OFF Highway" plate has an MC and not an RV then good is good.

As vague as the statute is... and as wide ranging the interpretations are both with the public and the MVD staff, I have NO confidence that you could line up 10 LEOs and get the same interpretation more than twice either. Especially LEOs from different agencies.

Thanks again fellas.
__________________
Jeff aka BOLT
RIDERS - Just a bunch of guys that wanna go riding !

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #28
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
Actually, he is correct. It is part of the OHV legislation and the reason State Land Department gets 5% of your OHV money.

The OHV decal allows the vehicle the sticker is attached to and the rider on that vehicle to access state trust land using existing routes without purchasing the state land rec permit. If you decide to stop and have a picnic, camp, or go hiking, you need a State Land rec permit for you to do that recreation. If you stage on State Trust Land, the vehicle you leave behind needs to have a permit hanging in the window, so that means you have to buy a permit for your tow vehicle in that case.
Thanks for the correction Jeff. I was thinking of "access" being more like staging, camping, and generally hanging out and riding.
__________________
1989 R100GS
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #29
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways
 
thegraydog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: the Coconino
Oddometer: 591
I'm impressed that Jeff Prince is contributing here. Although it would be possible to wish for less regulation, Arizona's OHV management is on a positive trajectory and plating a bike is far easier than elsewhere.

Re LEOs: if you are plated, stickered, insured, licensed, and where you're supposed to be, you're good. The last part is much the most challenging.... And yes, you are street legal, FFS...
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #30
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer
 
sandwash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Flagstaff Az
Oddometer: 1,229
What I don't like about the OHV is I have street legal DR 650:licensed registered and insured. And I still got a ticket by the Park Ranger for no OVH tag.What gives.Now I have two registrations to deal with.I is not a dirt bike,it just look like one(now).
__________________
97dr650
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014