Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #2746
NJ650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post

Gas masks in the subway system. Paranoid much?

I suspect that is what happens when your neighbor to the north is insane.

Planning 2014 Gaspé and 2014 COBDR
Fuck cancer!
NJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #2747
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ650 View Post
I suspect that is what happens when your neighbor to the north is insane.

that may be.. but it is almost impossible to cross that border. And someone in south Korea probably wouldn't do it. And someone from north Korea who made it to south Korea.. probably won't want to go back. I just thought it was interesting. No other country have I found gasmasks in the subway.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #2748
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
ya thats really odd. there is probably a hand dryer attached to the side of it..

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #2749
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Hey Noah.

It's been a while since I checked in and happy to see you're still at it!
Keep it up, one of these days I'll read from where I left off or maybe I'll wait to see the movie.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:09 AM   #2750
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
No other country have I found gasmasks in the subway.
It's nothing to do with diet is it? I used to commute to work on the London Underground and I would have been prepared to pay good money for a gas mask, sometimes.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:47 AM   #2751
biker7one
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi Noah, I'm just one of the many readers and I've just caught up. I know what that means, yeah, gotta wait now for updates!
Excellent job mate keep it up, I (we) really appreciate the work you put in just on the reporting side, well done.
As a never take it to a shop guy myself I think your mechanical apptitude and sympathy with your machine is outstanding, good work. Long may you ride (and snowboard)!
biker7one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #2752
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Jealous! Glad you got some good turns.

How many ski bums does it take to screw in a light bulb?

...A least 5...

1 to screw it in... and the other 4 to yell "Nice turns bra!!"
hahaha thanks for that
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #2753
Moss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Hi Noah,
Greetings from Spain. I've just finished reading your ride report. Cool, really enjoyed it, as I have done with many other good ride reports on here, but yours especially! Also, I sure appreciate your sincerity and it appears you're a true gent with the ladies . Good onya mate!

I will certainly look forward to the continuation of this excellent ride-port.
If you are passing northern Spain and need a place to stay let me know.
Take care and happy riding
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #2754
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
that may be.. but it is almost impossible to cross that border. And someone in south Korea probably wouldn't do it. And someone from north Korea who made it to south Korea.. probably won't want to go back. I just thought it was interesting. No other country have I found gasmasks in the subway.
The gas masks aren't for people crossing the border either way.....they're for gas launched from across the border by some other means.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS

JustBob screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 04:28 PM
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #2755
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Thailand (Bangkok)

Bangkok. Thursday December 5th to Monday December 16.

It was late, about 11:00 when my flight got into BKK. I took the airport link train toward the city and got off 1 stop from the end in Phaya Thai. I had no reservation and no idea where I would get a place to stay. I lied to all the taxi and tuk tuk drivers. I told them I had a place to stay even though it was obious I was searching most of them get a commission to take you to their hotel, their massage parlor or their tailor shop. I found a decent hotel in a part of BKK that was very Indian. It still had many Thia people but there the hotel and surrounding businesses were owned by Indian expats. I was excited for a good curry.

In the morning I found a taxi and told him I want to go to the protests. In December, the protests that I saw were pretty calm. But I wanted to see what they were about. Near the Democracy Monument the streets were blocked by people camping out for blocks in each direction. A stage was setup where speakers would talk. I walked around and snapped some pictures and watched the sun go down as I drank a beer listening and watching the protesters. They had whistles and plastic and clappy things like you would have a birthday party or something. No one was yelling. No one was burning anything. There was not even any police around.

Any street in BKK

Hmmm... seems wrong.

It was hot.

Coolest potato chip ever.

Heated game in the middle of the protests.

These guys had plastic sheets that must have been rejects from print factories. They were used to sit on, make shade or rain fly.

No riots tonight.

I walked the whole way back to my hotel. I did not feel like getting into one of these.

Many markets along the way.

Anything and everyting is for sale.

When the gates go down.. it does not mean the scooters will stop crossing the tracks. Its quite crazy.

Maybe some of you Harley guys can tell me what model this is?

I saw on HorizonsUnlimited a post "fellow travelers in BKK looking for a beer". Sounds like my kind of travelers. For the next few days I met up with Charlie and Oli. They had been traveling on an Atwin through Europe and the middle east. From UEA it was being shipped to BKK. They spent about a month riding an Ensfield in northern India. They had been in BKK for about a month waiting for their bike to get there.

Always like this. Bumper to bumper.

Oli

Charlie and Me

Outdoor movie theater

Rewinding the film by hand.

Street food! BKK has amazing street food. For extreamly cheap. You should never go into a restaraunt in BKK.

Papaya salad. So spicy. So good.

Dessert. Fried crape thing with nutella, cream and bananas.

Non fat they say... :P

The wires here scare me.

More good street food.

Getting the bike from Japan to Thailand was not cheap. $600 for the boat + $200 for customs in Japan + $800 for customs in Thailand = $1600 total. Could I have done the customs work in Thailand myself? Maybe. But most of the documents were in Thai. Could I have found a company who didn't bend me over so hard? Probably. This one was recommended on the GT riders website. They took me to get the bike, and to all the other offices in Leam Chebang. There is no way I would have been able to do it in 1 day. And this being a Friday, I was happy to get it before the weekend.

Finally, Oli and Charlie got their bike the same day I got mine. After getting my bike Leam Chebang, I had about 100 km to ride back to to my Hotel in BKK. It was hot and the traffic was horrible. It took me about 3 hours. For some reason, the bike was not charging so I could not even run my headlight. Luckily, not many motorcycles had lights and there were many streetlights. I stayed one more night at my hotel then checked in at their place for a few nights.

Oli and I worked side by side on our bikes. We talked about riding into Cambodia together. I wanted to leave sooner then monday. It was so great to see them get thier bike back. They had been with out if for over 2 months. To try to fix the charging problem, I replaced the Reg/rec from Tajikistan with a Chinese copy but the bike still wasn't charging. My voltage from the stator showed about 8 volts AC when it should be between 20 and 50. I also saw a short to ground on my stator. I called KTM Bangkok to see if they had a stator by they didn't. So I went to the shop because I knew there was 6 different forms of 690 there. I thought for sure I would be able to talk them into selling me one off a showroom bike. All my begging, name dropping and promises of great press couldn't get them to budge. I told them I had a flight in Phnom Penh Camboida and I couldn't wait for one to be ordered in. No luck. Time for a new plan.

I asked the KTM shop if they knew of a place that rewound electric motors. They wrote down an address and I got in a taxi. Never get in a taxi in BKK when you can get on a scooter. The taxi will take forever. The asshole took me almost out to the airport because traffic was blocking where I wanted to go. When he turned back go where I wanted, I had no idea where we were. But just then I noticed a small shop rewinding motors. "Stop the fooking taxi". The guy is saying something to me about how we are not there. "I don't care. Stop the taxi". He gets the picture as I open the door while it is still moving. I pay him about $13 worth and get out. I show the little shop my stator and they say its fooked. Yes sir, I know it is. I want some wire. Ohhh we can give you wire. He gave me about 5 meters of coated copper wire and wouldn't let me pay him anything for it. I decided to rely on the trains from then on. With copper wire, soldering gun, solder and epoxi in hand, I tore into my stator to the amazement of the other travelers at the hostel. Beers in hand, making a mess, I rewound the single pole that had a fault. But I didn't do a good job because when I was finished, there was still a fault. Then it hit me: There are 3 phases, 18 poles. 6 poles per phase which produce anywhere from 20 to 50 volts. If 1 phase was missing a pole, it would not be the end of the world. So I took the leads and soldered them together totally eliminating that pole. I put some silicon over the wire to seal it and put the stator back in my bike.

I stole this photo from another post from DanTheMan07. He had the exact same problem a few days before me. Even on the same pole. First 2 690 stators I have ever heard of going bad.

1 pole removed. Time to try to rewind.

This will work.. I think..

Charging at 14.1 volts. I love it when shit goes correct. Earlier I had also checked my valves and fixed an oil leak from one of my filter covers.

ODO = 91,1183 kms

Since I lost a day messing with the stator... Oli, Charlie and I made plans to leave in the morning after breakfast. Next stop.. Cambodia.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #2756
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,404
Nice write up

"I stole this photo from another post from DanTheMan07. He had the exact same problem a few days before me. Even on the same pole. First 2 690 stators I have ever heard of going bad."

Probably the only 2 690's in the world with that many hours on them also.

Keep it coming, you and Anna are doing an awesome job.

tvbh40a screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 11:37 AM
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #2757
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,366
Nice fix Noah. Keep the updates coming!!

Keep the rubber side down.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #2758
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Nice improvisation there dude!

Good to catch up on the RR and see what you've been up to, last year.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #2759
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
none photo DSC04030.jpg

Ha Ha! I think you know that's not a Harley.
Good thinking and good fix on the stator. Improvising keeps you on the road.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #2760
Bandaids
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Awesome

JUST SPENT THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS DUCKING IN & OUT OF THE OFFICE TO READ YOUR ADVENTURE , NO WORK IS BEING DONE . i LOVE IT.
Bandaids is offline   Reply With Quote