Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

Oddometer: 28
Just a quick update. We have moved out of our flat and are now living with the inlaws. Ow and my thesis got accepted just in time so I is officially a Dr (alas not a real medical one)

Setting off this Thursday (16th), Dover - Dunkerque then to the Hague to a friends birthday. Then we leave there on the Monday the 20th. 1st milestone is to get to Turkey by the 13th of June so will be blasting through Germany, Austria and Italy, then take it a bit easier around Slovenia and all the way down to Greece then to Turkey. So yeah hope to bump in to some of you.

Also pakistani visa got a bit complicated so we withdrew our applications (as we need our passports), we got our Indian ones, Iran ones should be OK from Turkey, then will apply to the Pakistani ones in Tehran, might get lucky who knows. Indian visa expires 1st of November. Will make our minds up regarding Baloch once o the road, if we get the Iranian visa we will go as far as Bam then head to the coast and catch the ferry to Dubai and fly out either to Pakistan or to Kathmandu and pop back in to India. If there are a few of us though might be tempted to carry on from Bam throught Baloch. We'll see. Bike is mega heavy (got cloth panniers all around.. still heavy) will just have to get used to it. All the bastid medication I need to carry (funny bowels ) doesn't help. Ah well it will get lighter as days pass and re-stock in india.

Take care folks and hope to see some of you on the way. We are going to spend a bit of time in Turkey with family then travel Turkey, probably through Ramadan.

All the best
Oli
olionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #17
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Timor to Darwin

Perkins Shipping is the name of the shipping company for the Timor Leste to Darwin leg. There are heaps of ferries throughout Indonesia, no waiting, no delay. You most probably wont, but if you freight your bike into India you have to use a customs broker, I suggest you get a couple of quotes otherwise you get screwed, good and proper. I'm scarred for life. Have you got a carnet de passage for Iran, Pakistan, India, Indonesia, Timor Leste, Australia?. I think you need it for the other SE Asian countries as well. I wonder if you can ride through Myanmar now? You couldn't a couple of years ago, but things are changing.
Regards,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #18
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
I wonder if you can ride through Myanmar now? You couldn't a couple of years ago, but things are changing.
Some changes are slowly starting to emerge in Burma.. but I would not hold my breath the borders will suddenly open. That said, I was surprised to see, that someone HAD actually managed to get a permission from the Burmese government to enter with his motorcycle from India, and this happened a few months ago. Getting this permission had, however, taken several months. Some have also gotten their bikes in from Thailand, on an organised tour (and pre-planned route).

But anyway I think its fair to say, that you cannot just pop up at the border with a visa, and proceed into Burma. At least that part has not really changed in several decades.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #19
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

hey guys, thanks for the info regarding shipping. We're sitting the rain out in Ljubljana for a couple of days. Its been raining pretty much everyday since we left England. Apart from a day in the dolomites. Then it snowed the next day lol.

Yup got the carnet, well got my quote,will be getting it shipped to Turkey for early August as I don't need it till Iran. Might aswell maximise the time on it as paying 1700 for it (will be getting 900 back though)..still a large chunk of money.

I heard of the guy who crossed Myanmar aswell. Anyways, more interested in the iran elections in june currently.

Take care and have fun
Oli
Old 07-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

Hey folks,

Here is our blog if anyone is interseted.

http://ctscholi.blogspot.com/

All the best and have fun!
Oli
Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #21
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

Just a quick update. We made it to Laos and are enjoying the relaxed pace. Northern Thailand next.

Have fun y'all!
Oli