Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #601
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Day 139 Hummus in Chile

Day 139 Uspallata to Santiago Chile January 21

View Larger Map

Another great day today as we crossed once again into Chile. After packing up the bikes we said goodbye to our Llama friend and headed deeper into the mountains. The wind was extremely strong today but the sun was shining.

Not sure what this group was doing

One of the many tunnels on the way up the pass

We slowly ascended to 3200 meters before entering the 3km long Tunel del Cristo Redentor. This tunnel replaced a dirt road over the pass and reduced the distance by 10 km. If you are brave enough you can still take the dirt road up dozens of switchbacks to see the 4 tonne statue of Cristo Redentor that was erected at the top in 1904.

All the border offices are on the Chilean side of the tunnel. The process was very easy but this time a strict inspection of luggage is required. You must declare all fruit and meat products or face a $200 fine. Rather than empty our luggage we had the sniffer dog do his thing. That beef jerky from Canada must be sealed pretty good.

After about 45 minutes we were cleared into Chile and started down the pass.

Just after a few long snow sheds we were stopped to wait for construction.

We waited about 25 minutes and continued down the switch backs towrd Santiago.

Dangerous curves painted red with high traction paint

Before long we were on 4 lane freeway and started paying some tolls between 40 cents and $1.40.
When we arrived in Santiago I wanted to find a laptop because my first one died. We founf the biggest mall in the city and I went shopping. In a large department store a nice young couple helped me with translation and we struck uo a conversation. It turns out they were riding a motorcycle too and wanted to help us find a hostel. After finishing my transaction we met outside and they led us to the Bella Vista area where there are many hostels. We found the Chimba Hostal hidden on the street to be a great place. They had two upper bunks in a dorm for $20 each.
For dinner we found an Arabian diner and feasted on hummus and pita. Of course the hummus in Israel is much better!!
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #602
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
I must admit that the last three days I have been thinking about a bike with longer legs. There are some REALLY long straight stretches on Ruta 40 where we are. But I am glad I have the DR. You should see some of the parking spaces I can get into
Hey Dave... didn't I read back at the beginning of your RR that you were running a 14T front sprocket instead of the stock 15T? If so, I would suggest trying to pick up a 15T and swap on for your longer pavement rides. That'll relax the RPMs enough that it'll make quite a difference. And it only takes five minutes to change sprockets, especially with your center stand. A 10mm socket for the sprocket bolts, the 24mm and 22mm wrenches for the axle bolt/adjusters, and you're set. BTW I leave my sprocket cover plate off because it makes it easier to swap sprockets. To get that off you need an 8mm socket.

I love the DR.. it's a model of simplicity!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #603
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Had a wheel bearing failure today. All fixed now but quite a day. I'll update soon with details. Right now internet is scarce

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #604
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Paying the Toll

Day 140 and 141 Santiago to Chillan to Temuco January 22 and 23

View Larger Map

The past two days we spent riding a 4 lane toll highway and the cameras stayed idle. There isn't much to say except it moved us south in one heck of a hurry. We did ride through a torrential rain that had us both frozen to the core. On these roads there is not really a good place to pull over until you reach a rest stop. These places are numerous fortunately and we found one at just the right time. Because of the rain all the patio furniture in front of the cafe was piled in a corner but the umbrellas were still up. Eran wisely rode up on the sidewalk and under an umbrella. I followed suit and we stayed at the cafe for over an hour trying to warm up.
After the rain let up a bit we continued on to Temuco and looked forward to getting off the freeway.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #605
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Hey Dave... didn't I read back at the beginning of your RR that you were running a 14T front sprocket instead of the stock 15T? If so, I would suggest trying to pick up a 15T and swap on for your longer pavement rides. That'll relax the RPMs enough that it'll make quite a difference. And it only takes five minutes to change sprockets, especially with your center stand. A 10mm socket for the sprocket bolts, the 24mm and 22mm wrenches for the axle bolt/adjusters, and you're set. BTW I leave my sprocket cover plate off because it makes it easier to swap sprockets. To get that off you need an 8mm socket.

I love the DR.. it's a model of simplicity!

Rob
Hi Rob,
I have had the stock gearing from the start. The DR has plenty of power for 110 km cruising but when the wind is blowing there isn't much power to spare for passing. I love my DR too.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #606
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Bombing for the Barge

Day 142 Temuco to San Martin de los Andes Argentina January 24

Today we were excited to be able to turn left! The day started a bit late after we did some important banking downtown but we only had 190km to the ferry at Peurto Fuy. After 90 km on the toll road we turned east towards the mountains and Argentina. The curves and the scenery were welcome sights and we moved along at a fast pace.

Soon the road turned to gravel and during a rest stop we discussed whether or not we'd make the one o clock ferry. We decided to press hard and try to make it. We pushed our pace on the gravel and passed numerous vehicles in the dust until we finally arrived at the ferry. The barge was packed with foot passengers and looked full with vehicles. We rode right up to the loading ramp and a worker waved us away. We watched a police truck slowly back onto the barge wondering if they could squeeze us in.

At last they waved at us to get on board and we got the last few square meters of space. Before we had our helmets off the boat was casting off and we still didn't have tickets!

90 minutes later we disembarked the ferry and paid our fares. Then we knew we needed to high tail it to the border and beat all the ferry traffic. We arrived there behind one car and the process was fast and easy.

Another 40km and we arived at San Martin to find all the hostels full.

San Martin de los Andes

But we found some nice camping along the lake for about $10 each.

Awesome jazz/funk/blues band on the beach

Hmmm, dare I....... oh what the heck, "To beer or not to beer"

As I was unpacking my tent I realized that I hadn't camped since northen California and that today marked 5 months on the road.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #607
PrairieMan
PrairieMan

Oddometer: 26
Excellent Ride & Thank You

Dave, What an amazing journey you have embarked upon! I've read a few ride reports over the past couple years and yours is at the top. Last year, there was a husband and wife duo from Guatemala who rode up to Alaska and back. I read it to my 8 and 10 year old boys at bedtime each night. It was an adventure they really enjoyed. I've shared part of yours with them, but hockey practice eats up our evening hours most nights of the week. So, I've mainly been reading solo.

I'm impressed with all the countries you've traveled through. In addition to what you've written, I can't imagine all the sub-stories of each one. Traveling, meeting other people and trying different food is quite rewarding. Thank you for taking the time to snap pictures and write. Many people are enjoying it.

I pray for your safety, good health and a reliable machine. All the best to you on your journey.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #608
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieMan View Post
Dave, What an amazing journey you have embarked upon! I've read a few ride reports over the past couple years and yours is at the top. Last year, there was a husband and wife duo from Guatemala who rode up to Alaska and back. I read it to my 8 and 10 year old boys at bedtime each night. It was an adventure they really enjoyed. I've shared part of yours with them, but hockey practice eats up our evening hours most nights of the week. So, I've mainly been reading solo.

I'm impressed with all the countries you've traveled through. In addition to what you've written, I can't imagine all the sub-stories of each one. Traveling, meeting other people and trying different food is quite rewarding. Thank you for taking the time to snap pictures and write. Many people are enjoying it.

I pray for your safety, good health and a reliable machine. All the best to you on your journey.
Thank you Prairieman,
I am enjoying documenting the ride despite the effort. However if I did this trip again the computer would stay at home and the endless search for wifi would be gone.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 AM   #609
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 143 Wobbly Wheel

Day 143 San Martin to Villa Angostura January 25

It was really cold last night but with the morning came warm sunbeams. We grabbed a cup of tea from the nearby cafe and started packing our gear. We took our time and started out by 11:00.

The route was mostly pavement but we encountered some dusty gravel. Traffic was heavy but the dual sport bikes love this stuff and we made short work of all the cars and trucks. Fo the past few days I felt as if something was wrong with the bike but couldn't pinpoint it. As soon as we got back on pavement I knew exactly what was wrong. The rear wheel bearings were shot and the rear wheel was flopping around making a terrible noise. I didn't notice the outright failure on the gravel because it was so bumpy but on the smooth tarmac it was obvious.

We had to plot our next move and sat down to think about it.

There was a town 30km away but too far to limp the bike there. We tried to flag down some trucks without success so decided Eran should ride to town and try to find help. We thought it was Sunday but it was really Saturday so our expectations were low. He found an auto shop open and asked for help so the guy called a friend who said he'd meet us out where I was stranded. Eran returned about 90 minutes after he'd left and we waited. For another 90 minutes we waited but no truck came.

I got fed up and set up a broken traffic cone I found in the ditch. The next truck that came I practically stood in front of and flagged him down. It was a small truck with both the front and rear seats occupied. In the box was a folded aluminum ladder and about 18 canteloupe sized boulders. I asked for help and they started throwing the rocks into the ditch. I guess they were for ballast as they apparently had no value otherwise. We loaded Skelly into the back and I climbed in too.

The 30km ride was great fun but a little scary as the little truck careened around the twisty road.

They dropped us off in Villa Angostura and I gave the driver about $30 for his trouble. The family in the truck thought it was great fun helping the Canadian biker out of a jam.

The auto shop was more like an auto wrecker but the guys there were friendly and willing to help even at 7pm on a Saturday.

I removed the rear wheel and they went to work. The right side bearing was destroyed and the outer race broke trying to remove it. After a few minutes the guys figured out how to remove the broken piece. Since I had replacements with me we also removed the left side bearing and replaced them both. While the wheel was off I took the chance to replace the rear brake pads which were almost worn out.

During this time Eran was out searching for a hotel or hostel. By the time he returned we were installing the rear wheel. We were settled in the hostel by 8:30 but both of us were completely exhausted
Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #610
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,441
It.s a wonder we didn.t meet up with you guys.

see ride report........tuckers to tdf......

When you get to Ushuaia if you need shipping help you can check our thread or email...PM us.......we have a great contact for storage..shipping
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #611
snoofus
FNG

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Thank you Prairieman,
I am enjoying documenting the ride despite the effort. However if I did this trip again the computer would stay at home and the endless search for wifi would be gone.
I am enjoying your RR and appreciate the effort it must take to prepare it!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #612
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
All part of the journey!

I packed bearings on my trip and the darn things made it back. Oh well, better to have then to not have. You'd be in a pickle if they didn't have a bearing to fit your rear hub.

Keep it up!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #613
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Hi Rob,
I have had the stock gearing from the start. The DR has plenty of power for 110 km cruising but when the wind is blowing there isn't much power to spare for passing. I love my DR too.
Aha! My mistake then. :)

I know what you mean about nasty wind though. I had done a weekend trip out to Death Valley from Southern California a couple of years ago. I bailed early on Saturday afternoon (I went out on Friday) because the winds whipped up something fierce. On the ride back, I was riding into a 50+ mph head/crosswind. I was leaned way the hell over to the right and the best speed I could do was maybe 50 mph in 4th gear. I think I got 20 mpg on that tank. I finally ended up at a motel in Barstow around midnight, exhausted.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #614
NickW909
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Sorry to jump ahead a little......

Could I ask why you dipped back into Argentina instead of continuing along Ruta 5 and then onto Ruta 7?

Nick.
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #615
Bob México
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Villa la Angostura Nice place. Las empanadas de esa zona son de lo mejor

These near Bariloche, if can visit the Tronador highly recommended in the road the Bolson

Excellent RR
2006 Boulevard C50
Bob México is offline   Reply With Quote