ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #31
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
This one will be interesting. I don't see how that's possible either, unless you were in an OHV park.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #32
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
Thanks man! In all fairness, I was an adv inmate long before working for the state. I do what I can to make all this stuff a little easier to understand. Az is one of the only states you can make a atv, rzr, or 2 stroke dirtbike street legal and drive on pavement. Enjoy it, we are the envy of pretty much every other state and try to make it better every day.

And thank you very much for having a reciprocal OHV decal deal with other states. I come from Michigan, have a plated bike /ORV decal from MI that is good in AZ when I ride there.Your OHV decal is not as easy to buy as a MI one though.... We just get ours from any hardware store like a fishing lisc and it has no registration to your bike attached to it at all. Our fee is $16.25/yr. In many MI counties you can ride your crosser right into towns without a L/P as long as you have a sticker, a quiet muffler/SA. VERY LIBERAL.
If you go up to Colorado they expect you to buy yet another ORV sticker!!! Nothing like being taxed in 2 states....
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #33
Razta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
What I don't like about the OHV is I have street legal DR 650:licensed registered and insured. And I still got a ticket by the Park Ranger for no OVH tag.What gives.Now I have two registrations to deal with.I is not a dirt bike,it just look like one(now).
I had an argument about that too. It was when I had a Honda XR650L. I didnt get a ticket. He was not sure about the regulation himself. I pointed to the jeeps and asked if they needed one. My bike was plated MC and factory street legal.
I see in the documentation that it just now covers two wheeled vehicles. So I need to get one for my BMW F800GSA. They really need to get out better education instead of just hiring more people to enforce the $25 OHV sticker.
Razta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #34
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razta View Post
I had an argument about that too. It was when I had a Honda XR650L. I didnt get a ticket. He was not sure about the regulation himself. I pointed to the jeeps and asked if they needed one. My bike was plated MC and factory street legal.
I see in the documentation that it just now covers two wheeled vehicles. So I need to get one for my BMW F800GSA. They really need to get out better education instead of just hiring more people to enforce the $25 OHV sticker.
It sounds like you can volunteer to provide the education you talk about?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #35
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
What I don't like about the OHV is I have street legal DR 650:licensed registered and insured. And I still got a ticket by the Park Ranger for no OVH tag.What gives.Now I have two registrations to deal with.I is not a dirt bike,it just look like one(now).

how many times will this come up?

Register your bike as a mostly off road, get your damn OHV sticker which reduces your registration cost, PAY LESS for the entire thing and avoid your ticket.

gees, how hard is this?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #36
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Bike had the registered plate (MC) on it when I bought in '03,didn't know anything about OVH
Ticket on Oct '13 of Lake Mary Rd(Flagstaff, Coconino County 3E trail #,
Park Ranger. Ranged said "get the tag and show me and won't turn in the ticket"
Went down the next day to AZ DMV ,15 mins. and 10$ later got the tag.Slapped it on my plate and sent the Ranger a pic,got text" all good don't worry about". Went to the Judge Clerk the day before Summons date,nothing on the docket for me.
Crazy,now I have two registration.Have to check at out again when registration comes up.
Something about 1800lbs or Less.
Is the DR650 primarily made for unimproved roads by the manufacture?
I doubt it
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #37
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
3E is Forest Service Road in the Coconino National Forest and it was a Forest Service Officer,really don't remember I remember seeing Ranger on the sleeve,he did have a gun don't remember a badge,he was in a glorified 4-wheel drive golf cart with red and blue lights .This is a street legal motorcycle from the factory does have blinkers,they are led's so when it gets dumped they don't break off,took off the stock ones off,they break too easy. Cited for no OHV tag. I was not riding off trail,I was on the road
Dr650 only come in street legal version.Tried to argue the point that is a factory street legal motorcycle from the factory,he didn't want any of that.Ya it looks like a big dirt bike,but it isn't.

sandwash screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 06:40 AM
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #38
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,159
This is an excellent discussion, and a lot of useful information for people who wish to register OHV vehicles... however, excuse me while I step around the HUGE elephant in the room - both metaphorically and literally!

The OP has just bought a Triumph Tiger 800XC - that is barely an 'off-road' motorcycle at all, never mind one you'd use regularly in an OHV park?

Surely you'd save a lot of grief by just registering it in the usual way? - you can't be that short of cash if you've just bought a 2013 model!

Just my 2c to go towards your regular motorcycle fee ;o)

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #39
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,680
Its really not an elephant. The law is very clear its law enforcement that is having difficulty. There getting better but still have a ways to go.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #40
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo (& piglet) View Post
this is an excellent discussion, and a lot of useful information for people who wish to register ohv vehicles... However, excuse me while i step around the huge elephant in the room - both metaphorically and literally!

The op has just bought a triumph tiger 800xc - that is barely an 'off-road' motorcycle at all, never mind one you'd use regularly in an ohv park?

Surely you'd save a lot of grief by just registering it in the usual way? - you can't be that short of cash if you've just bought a 2013 model!

Just my 2c to go towards your regular motorcycle fee ;o)

jx
+1
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #41
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,223
This single screen shot of the Service AZ website is the most effective piece of information in this entire discussion. It is not the written statute... but it is clear and explains the difference in the registration options from the states own website. It is in direct conflict with the information given to me three times by MVD staffers regarding when and where OFF HIGHWAY MCs can be ridden.

I was overcharged on 3 street legal dirt bikes based on their definitions of ON & OFF HIGHWAY use. I have street plates AND the OHV sticker on all 3. That will change.

It's hard to have discussions like this when so many have it 70% right (like me)... some just want any excuse to pay the least amount... and others, generally speaking, talk out their ass.

Thanks Jeff for the screen shot... and thanks to a few of you that get it and steered me away from trusting the MVD Coolaid Servers.

Quote:

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #42
Razta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Azgfd is required by law to hire 7 Ohv enforcement officers as part of the original Ohv decal legislation. That's for the entire state! State Land dept uses a part of their 5% to contract law enforcement on their land. AZ State Parks does not use our part of the ohv money to hire LEOs.

As far as law enforcement goes, some officers know the law better than others. If stopped while on a street legal dual sport, have a copy of the law with you and politely educate the officer. Should you get an unjustified ticket, go to court.
From what I was told and recently read, my dual sport needs an OHV sticker.
Razta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #43
seabee1
we build, we fight

So, here we have the arizona ohv program coordinator giving you information, and you guys want to argue with him citing what some clerk told you?

You deserve a ticket.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #44
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
So, here we have the arizona ohv program coordinator giving you information, and you guys want to argue with him citing what some clerk told you?

You deserve a ticket.
I don't think anyone is doubting the information Jeff is providing. It's the 2nd theme of this topic that is more questionable.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #45
seabee1
we build, we fight

Yeah, maybe that was a bit harsh. My apologies.

www.dehmotorcycle.com