ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #3151
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
SteveAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
It helps if you have a rear rack. I used to have what they call a BBQ Rack on the DR and I could strap a bunch of stuff back there. But the DRZ has nothing. It was an interesting 2 days of camping with my buddies picking up my gear all over the trail.

Oh yeah... every moto I've owned since '76 had something whether purchased or roll-your-own.... and come to think of it most of the aftermarket ones in the day had "modifications"...i.e. beefed up repairs after finding the weak points....

The 50K on the KLR was after doing 100's of thousands of the same (baja, southwest, some cross-US) on XR's, XT's, DR's, etc. I discovered the dry bags somewhere during all that likely around '90 after doing a bunch of kayak/canoe adventures. Pretty dandy for a smaller DP. For the larger ones I finally discovered hard bags and it's hard to go back...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #3152
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrGoldfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 481
So the wife just suggested to me that we ride the PCH over Thanksgiving this year...

I better start planning this thing before she changes her mind.

Her only condition was that she flies in to somewhere close to LAX and flies out somewhere up North so that she can avoid the long hauls to and from the PCH. We wouldn't start south of LA because we have seen it before. The only thing that makes me nervous about the whole thing is that as we go north, it should start getting cold given that it will be in November. She said she didn't care as she likes the cold and absolutely hates the heat. Don't ask why we live here. Let's just say the summers are tough at my house.

Any input as to places to stay and see is welcomed.
__________________
Currently Owned: 2008 KLR 650
Previously Owned: 1998 Honda XR100; 2001 Honda XR250
2013 RR: Phoenix to Santa Fe & Back! – July 4th Weekend Adventure
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #3153
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer
 
DurtKlod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
...she likes the cold and absolutely hates the heat.
We are just the opposite... I hate the heat, my wife hates the cold. So we compromised and live in Phoenix.
__________________
It's not the limits of the bike... it's the limits of the rider on the bike.
DurtKlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #3154
cyberdos
True Story Bro
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 23,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
...

Any input as to places to stay and see is welcomed.
Do you have any ideas on routes?

I've ridden the PCH a few times and have a few suggestions. I've only ridden it up to Monterrey though so I can't give you any pointers past there.

If you guys are starting from LA I wouldn't pass up riding route 33.
From there you can either bank a left towards SLO to pick up the PCH or go around the long route this way. The 58 is pretty awesome. If you look at that last point "E" you'll see that if you make a right there you'll pick up route 229. This road on a map may not seem like much but they call it Rossi's Driveway and is a hoot.


If you decide to stay at SLO you can check out the Madonna Inn for some cool weirdness.

There are a few other rides around SLo but I can't seem to remember them right now. I'll have to look into my "routes reserves" later.

From SLO it's all PCH. Maybe an in and out into Nacimiento-Fergusson road or a look at the Hearst Castle. The castle will eat up a large chunk of your day so plan accordingly if you decide on stopping there.

You two have fun. I'm jealous.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #3155
LeePogo
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 3
Re 1982 Honda XL 500

Hey guys and Gals , i am new here and trying to find some info on 1982 Honda XL 500 bike that I got, I need a new carburetor and would like more info on what other carbs i can use, please help, TY.
LeePogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #3156
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePogo View Post
Hey guys and Gals , i am new here and trying to find some info on 1982 Honda XL 500 bike that I got, I need a new carburetor and would like more info on what other carbs i can use, please help, TY.
You might be better off by visiting the "Thumpers" section under "bikes". It's very active and you'll get help in minutes.
__________________
2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2011 WR250R, 1985 Beta TR32
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #3157
LeePogo
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 3
Thank you so much !
LeePogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #3158
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise
 
fanatic291's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Mesa, by Usery
Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
So the wife just suggested to me that we ride the PCH over Thanksgiving this year...

I better start planning this thing before she changes her mind.

Her only condition was that she flies in to somewhere close to LAX and flies out somewhere up North so that she can avoid the long hauls to and from the PCH. We wouldn't start south of LA because we have seen it before. The only thing that makes me nervous about the whole thing is that as we go north, it should start getting cold given that it will be in November. She said she didn't care as she likes the cold and absolutely hates the heat. Don't ask why we live here. Let's just say the summers are tough at my house.

Any input as to places to stay and see is welcomed.
I really like Pashnit.com. When I lived in California I used to be on the website all the time...I didn't even own a bike then.

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

I would recommend flying into long beach. That is the easiest airport in Orange County.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #3159
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrGoldfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
I really like Pashnit.com. When I lived in California I used to be on the website all the time...I didn't even own a bike then.

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

I would recommend flying into long beach. That is the easiest airport in Orange County.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to go take a look at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Do you have any ideas on routes?

I've ridden the PCH a few times and have a few suggestions. I've only ridden it up to Monterrey though so I can't give you any pointers past there.

If you guys are starting from LA I wouldn't pass up riding route 33.
From there you can either bank a left towards SLO to pick up the PCH or go around the long route this way. The 58 is pretty awesome. If you look at that last point "E" you'll see that if you make a right there you'll pick up route 229. This road on a map may not seem like much but they call it Rossi's Driveway and is a hoot.


If you decide to stay at SLO you can check out the Madonna Inn for some cool weirdness.

There are a few other rides around SLo but I can't seem to remember them right now. I'll have to look into my "routes reserves" later.

From SLO it's all PCH. Maybe an in and out into Nacimiento-Fergusson road or a look at the Hearst Castle. The castle will eat up a large chunk of your day so plan accordingly if you decide on stopping there.

You two have fun. I'm jealous.
Thanks Julio. My first that was just stay as close to the coast as I can all the way up to Bellingham, Washington if we are ambitious enough. The only thing that worries me is that it could be cold as soon as we leave the coast. Beyond that though, I don't know where/if it would be cool to detour from the coast to see anything else. Heck, this trip is a blank slate. We could end up not going so far north and maybe visit some other stuff that is cool besides the coast. Who knows?
__________________
Currently Owned: 2008 KLR 650
Previously Owned: 1998 Honda XR100; 2001 Honda XR250
2013 RR: Phoenix to Santa Fe & Back! – July 4th Weekend Adventure
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #3160
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrGoldfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 481
New Google Maps

Cyberdos, what is your opinion on the new google maps?
__________________
Currently Owned: 2008 KLR 650
Previously Owned: 1998 Honda XR100; 2001 Honda XR250
2013 RR: Phoenix to Santa Fe & Back! – July 4th Weekend Adventure
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #3161
cyberdos
True Story Bro
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 23,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Cyberdos, what is your opinion on the new google maps?
sucks donkey balls.

like massive chewed up old hag from Tijuana donkey nuts.



go to classic.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #3162
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrGoldfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
sucks donkey balls.

like massive chewed up old hag from Tijuana donkey nuts.



go to classic.
My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
__________________
Currently Owned: 2008 KLR 650
Previously Owned: 1998 Honda XR100; 2001 Honda XR250
2013 RR: Phoenix to Santa Fe & Back! – July 4th Weekend Adventure
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #3163
cyberdos
True Story Bro
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 23,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
thay want to make the interface more apple-like.

It sucked form day 1.

Especially for us folks that like to save and create our own routes and extract data from it.

you can google search it. You'll see how most people that have worked with it, instead of just using it to figure out point a to point b, hate it.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #3164
DOD
idiot dirt rider
 
DOD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
sucks donkey balls.

like massive chewed up old hag from Tijuana donkey nuts.



go to classic.
Sitting in an airport bar in Baltimore drinking high prices cheap likker and I just can't find a response to this. Nicely said Señor Julio.


-dod
__________________
This is my only chance to assemble a disreputable past
DOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #3165
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter
 
dontlr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Queen Creek AZ - Its a dry heat
Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post

My first that was just stay as close to the coast as I can all the way up to Bellingham, Washington if we are ambitious enough. The only thing that worries me is that it could be cold as soon as we leave the coast. Beyond that though, I don't know where/if it would be cool to detour from the coast to see anything else. Heck, this trip is a blank slate. We could end up not going so far north and maybe visit some other stuff that is cool besides the coast. Who knows?
Its a great ride along the coast on 1. I did a big loop ride from Denver out to the coast starting in San Loius Obispo to Washington on 1 with a detour up to Crater lake in Crescent City and then back down to Coos Bay. Its some beautiful scenery up there and you'll get a lot of great photo oppurtunities. It may be too cold for Crater Lake but the coast is a trip to remember. You can't go wrong there.

The "Greatest Road" ap for an iphone is pretty cool and will give you info on the closest road to where you are as well as ratings, so if at one point you feet like venturing off just open it up and see whats near by.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014