ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #3151
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
It helps if you have a rear rack. I used to have what they call a BBQ Rack on the DR and I could strap a bunch of stuff back there. But the DRZ has nothing. It was an interesting 2 days of camping with my buddies picking up my gear all over the trail.

Oh yeah... every moto I've owned since '76 had something whether purchased or roll-your-own.... and come to think of it most of the aftermarket ones in the day had "modifications"...i.e. beefed up repairs after finding the weak points....

The 50K on the KLR was after doing 100's of thousands of the same (baja, southwest, some cross-US) on XR's, XT's, DR's, etc. I discovered the dry bags somewhere during all that likely around '90 after doing a bunch of kayak/canoe adventures. Pretty dandy for a smaller DP. For the larger ones I finally discovered hard bags and it's hard to go back...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #3152
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
So the wife just suggested to me that we ride the PCH over Thanksgiving this year...

I better start planning this thing before she changes her mind.

Her only condition was that she flies in to somewhere close to LAX and flies out somewhere up North so that she can avoid the long hauls to and from the PCH. We wouldn't start south of LA because we have seen it before. The only thing that makes me nervous about the whole thing is that as we go north, it should start getting cold given that it will be in November. She said she didn't care as she likes the cold and absolutely hates the heat. Don't ask why we live here. Let's just say the summers are tough at my house.

Any input as to places to stay and see is welcomed.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #3153
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
...she likes the cold and absolutely hates the heat.
We are just the opposite... I hate the heat, my wife hates the cold. So we compromised and live in Phoenix.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #3154
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,815
Quote:

Do you have any ideas on routes?

I've ridden the PCH a few times and have a few suggestions. I've only ridden it up to Monterrey though so I can't give you any pointers past there.

If you guys are starting from LA I wouldn't pass up riding route 33.
From there you can either bank a left towards SLO to pick up the PCH or go around the long route this way. The 58 is pretty awesome. If you look at that last point "E" you'll see that if you make a right there you'll pick up route 229. This road on a map may not seem like much but they call it Rossi's Driveway and is a hoot.

If you decide to stay at SLO you can check out the Madonna Inn for some cool weirdness.

There are a few other rides around SLo but I can't seem to remember them right now. I'll have to look into my "routes reserves" later.

From SLO it's all PCH. Maybe an in and out into Nacimiento-Fergusson road or a look at the Hearst Castle. The castle will eat up a large chunk of your day so plan accordingly if you decide on stopping there.

You two have fun. I'm jealous.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #3155
LeePogo
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Re 1982 Honda XL 500

Hey guys and Gals , i am new here and trying to find some info on 1982 Honda XL 500 bike that I got, I need a new carburetor and would like more info on what other carbs i can use, please help, TY.
LeePogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #3156
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePogo View Post
Hey guys and Gals , i am new here and trying to find some info on 1982 Honda XL 500 bike that I got, I need a new carburetor and would like more info on what other carbs i can use, please help, TY.
You might be better off by visiting the "Thumpers" section under "bikes". It's very active and you'll get help in minutes.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #3157
LeePogo
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thank you so much !
LeePogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #3158
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
So the wife just suggested to me that we ride the PCH over Thanksgiving this year...

I better start planning this thing before she changes her mind.

Her only condition was that she flies in to somewhere close to LAX and flies out somewhere up North so that she can avoid the long hauls to and from the PCH. We wouldn't start south of LA because we have seen it before. The only thing that makes me nervous about the whole thing is that as we go north, it should start getting cold given that it will be in November. She said she didn't care as she likes the cold and absolutely hates the heat. Don't ask why we live here. Let's just say the summers are tough at my house.

I really like Pashnit.com. When I lived in California I used to be on the website all the time...I didn't even own a bike then.

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

I would recommend flying into long beach. That is the easiest airport in Orange County.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #3159
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
I really like Pashnit.com. When I lived in California I used to be on the website all the time...I didn't even own a bike then.

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

I would recommend flying into long beach. That is the easiest airport in Orange County.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to go take a look at some point.

Quote:
Do you have any ideas on routes?

I've ridden the PCH a few times and have a few suggestions. I've only ridden it up to Monterrey though so I can't give you any pointers past there.

If you guys are starting from LA I wouldn't pass up riding route 33.
From there you can either bank a left towards SLO to pick up the PCH or go around the long route this way. The 58 is pretty awesome. If you look at that last point "E" you'll see that if you make a right there you'll pick up route 229. This road on a map may not seem like much but they call it Rossi's Driveway and is a hoot.

If you decide to stay at SLO you can check out the Madonna Inn for some cool weirdness.

There are a few other rides around SLo but I can't seem to remember them right now. I'll have to look into my "routes reserves" later.

From SLO it's all PCH. Maybe an in and out into Nacimiento-Fergusson road or a look at the Hearst Castle. The castle will eat up a large chunk of your day so plan accordingly if you decide on stopping there.

You two have fun. I'm jealous.
Thanks Julio. My first that was just stay as close to the coast as I can all the way up to Bellingham, Washington if we are ambitious enough. The only thing that worries me is that it could be cold as soon as we leave the coast. Beyond that though, I don't know where/if it would be cool to detour from the coast to see anything else. Heck, this trip is a blank slate. We could end up not going so far north and maybe visit some other stuff that is cool besides the coast. Who knows?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #3160
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

New Google Maps

Cyberdos, what is your opinion on the new google maps?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #3161
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Cyberdos, what is your opinion on the new google maps?
sucks donkey balls.

like massive chewed up old hag from Tijuana donkey nuts.

go to classic.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #3162
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
sucks donkey balls.

go to classic.
My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #3163
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
thay want to make the interface more apple-like.

It sucked form day 1.

Especially for us folks that like to save and create our own routes and extract data from it.

you can google search it. You'll see how most people that have worked with it, instead of just using it to figure out point a to point b, hate it.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #3164
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
sucks donkey balls.

go to classic.
Sitting in an airport bar in Baltimore drinking high prices cheap likker and I just can't find a response to this. Nicely said Señor Julio.

-dod
Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #3165
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:

My first that was just stay as close to the coast as I can all the way up to Bellingham, Washington if we are ambitious enough. The only thing that worries me is that it could be cold as soon as we leave the coast. Beyond that though, I don't know where/if it would be cool to detour from the coast to see anything else. Heck, this trip is a blank slate. We could end up not going so far north and maybe visit some other stuff that is cool besides the coast. Who knows?
Its a great ride along the coast on 1. I did a big loop ride from Denver out to the coast starting in San Loius Obispo to Washington on 1 with a detour up to Crater lake in Crescent City and then back down to Coos Bay. Its some beautiful scenery up there and you'll get a lot of great photo oppurtunities. It may be too cold for Crater Lake but the coast is a trip to remember. You can't go wrong there.

The "Greatest Road" ap for an iphone is pretty cool and will give you info on the closest road to where you are as well as ratings, so if at one point you feet like venturing off just open it up and see whats near by.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote