ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #61
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,567
tru dat,,, ma bad!!
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #62
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by agavelvr View Post
The people that work the desk at the MVD do not enforce the laws out there on the street and trail...that's what law enforcement does. Their interpretation of what Primarily Off Road is in direct conflict with what their paperwork says. The paperwork does not say a MC plate + OHV decal under Primarily Off Road is limited. The guy I talked to today did not even comment on that, he just asked me to indicate what I which box applied to me the most. Had I selected off road only, he would have issued a RV plate. Had I selected On Highway Only, he would have charged me full vehicle registration fees plus the OHV decal and issued a MC plate.
MVD is THE Gov agency for vehicle registration... not a non profit self help coop. They do in fact NEED to be the expert between our needs and the law. They do in fact NEED to SELL us the appropriate registration based on simple English. Providing accurate and proper registration for any vehicle is not a Law Enforcement Issue... IT IS THE MVD's JOB to provide this expertise !

I don't wanna argue with you cause we are on the same side of this issue. I just don't agree with your notions on what should be expected from the MVD.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:26 AM   #63
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
Use in an OHV park is not relevant to the discussion. The OHV Decal law pertains to dirt road, dirt trail, and designated OHV area use. Based upon what the manufacture is putting out there, the Triumph TIger 800XC is a dual sport.
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bi...4/tiger-800-xc
Jeff - I'm on your side here, as you say below:

Quote:
If you own a factory dual sport and choose to purchase a OHV Decal + MC registration and sign the affidavit stating it "is designed by the manufacture primarily for travel over unimproved terrain"...you are placing yourself in a grey area of the law. Due to various agency level interpretations of the law, this may or may not be legal. I'm guessing the MVD will lock this down if you guys keep making a stink about it. Think about it, you buy a $10K plus dual sport and register OHV+MC, they lose a lot of tax revenue. If the law changes, this will be one of the leading reasons. In the mean time, you have been warned :)
The bottom line is a Triumph Tiger XC800 is a 450lb motorcycle, clearly designed for primary ON ROAD use, with some off-highway capability... it is clearly not a 'dual sport' in the traditional sense (ie. a lightweight thumper, with minimal concessions to extended highway use) - it is obviously an 'Adventure Touring' motorcycle plain and simple, which by it's nature is going to see far more miles on paved highways than it ever will off-road.

People can argue semantics all they want, but quite frankly anyone trying to register a Triumph Tiger (or BMW GS or even a KTM 990 Adventure) as an OHV and primarily 'off-highway use' vehicle is either deluded, or outright lying - just to save a few $$$s in registration.

Go ahead an exploit the current loophole if you like, but as Jeff says - you are only going to f**k it up for others in the near future.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #64
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
Congratulations... But I've done this three times at Goodyear and Surprise MVD offices over a 12 month period. My experience just the same as yours in the polite and helpful department. Walked out titled and plated and OHVed.

Problem is they made it clear three times from three different staffers over a year period that PRIMARILY OFF ROAD means direct travel to an OHV area... nothing more. Friday the 7th I'll be making the Surprise MVD VERY aware of their ongoing mistake... and the money they charged me that I should never have paid. About $250 to date.

Polite but firm will be my approach.
And also, IF YOU RIDE IN ANOTHER STATE under this type of plate you are not street legal. In most states INSURANCE COVERAGE is the issue on your bike. You might want to consider this before "going cheap".
buls4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #65
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
And also, IF YOU RIDE IN ANOTHER STATE under this type of plate you are not street legal. In most states INSURANCE COVERAGE is the issue on your bike. You might want to consider this before "going cheap".

you still need insurance even if you get a primarily off road registration.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #66
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post

you still need insurance even if you get a primarily off road registration.
The "OHV" on the plate is the big killer in several states. That OHV plate is used like a OHV sticker in some states and does not require one to purchase insurance. In most Midwestern states this type of plate infers a bike with limited trail -to -trail allowed street use....but don't get caught riding it in town to the grocery store!
In NM right now it is a big issue because your title is even tagged OHV ONLY and very much limits where you can go and kills potential re-sale value.Why take that chance to get a huge ticket? Just pay the man. You buy a $10K bike and quibble about a $250 1 time reg fee? I guess that is OK if you never plan to leave AZ but I suspect that will all change for you later to be OHV only.How much money are you saving if your bike title says OHV ONLY on it when you re-sell it? and how does that compare to just paying the street plate fees to begin with?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #67
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
The "OHV" on the plate is the big killer in several states. That OHV plate is used like a OHV sticker in some states and does not require one to purchase insurance. In most Midwestern states this type of plate infers a bike with limited trail -to -trail allowed street use....but don't get caught riding it in town to the grocery store!
In NM right now it is a big issue because your title is even tagged OHV ONLY and very much limits where you can go and kills potential re-sale value.Why take that chance to get a huge ticket? Just pay the man. You buy a $10K bike and quibble about a $250 1 time reg fee? I guess that is OK if you never plan to leave AZ but I suspect that will all change for you later to be OHV only.How much money are you saving if your bike title says OHV ONLY on it when you re-sell it? and how does that compare to just paying the street plate fees to begin with?
I agree with checking the right designation and paying the proper fee if you use the bike primarily on road like the OP. But I don't and occasionally do long trips with involve a lot of pavement. This is not an OHV tag. It's a sticker that you place on a regular street tag that allows you to use OHV designated areas.

I don't see how I could get a ticket on the roads of another state if I have a street tag on my AZ registered and titled vehicle.

cyberdos screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 11:31 AM
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #68
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,004
Quote:
if you use the bike primarily off road like the OP. .
The OP never said he intends to use the tiger primarily off road, just that he want to pay less that he is supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post

I want to have it registered OHV and take advantage of the $30 registration rate rather than paying the $275 registration the state wants for a conventional motorcycle.
Although the intent of the OP may have been misguided at least there was some useful info brought to attention.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #69
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Cyberdos, a wise man once said don't wrestle with pigs. They like the mud.

Or something like that.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #70
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The OP never said he intends to use the tiger primarily off road, just that he want to pay less that he is supposed to.

My bad, I meant on road, not off road. I'll go back and correct that. thanks.

I agree, seabee. Out.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #71
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
I agree with checking the right designation and paying the proper fee if you use the bike primarily on road like the OP. But I don't and occasionally do long trips with involve a lot of pavement. This is not an OHV tag. It's a sticker that you place on a regular street tag that allows you to use OHV designated areas.

I don't see how I could get a ticket on the roads of another state if I have a street tag on my AZ registered and titled vehicle.
OK ,I see what that plate is now. Not a separate type of plate like NM has that has OHV stamped on it. Just an additional sticker you put on a regular plate. No problem with street riding anywhere in that case then. So you end up with a standard street title and an OHV registration in addition.And your title just says "cycle"?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #72
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
OK ,I see what that plate is now. Not a separate type of plate like NM has that has OHV stamped on it. Just an additional sticker you put on a regular plate. No problem with street riding anywhere in that case then. So you end up with a standard street title and an OHV registration in addition.And your title just says "cycle"?
Your title is the same as if you register a goldwing or a gixxer. It's a regular street motorcycle title.

You don't get an OHV registration. You get a regular motorcycle registration.

What you get is an additional OHV sticker to put opposite side of your regular registration sticker.

sifting quickly through my pics I'm not sure I have a clean pic of the whole plate but here's one with half of it.

on my off road 2 stroke designated for off road use only I have an RV plate with the OHV sticker.

didn't I say I was out?