Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #3556
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I need balance in my life. This usually involves a hammock.

True words of wisdom.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #3557
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElReyDelSofa View Post
Juanito,

Glad to see you are off the Panamerica in Ecuador. There is so much to see and do and so many make the straight Quito, Banos, Cuenca, Peru trip in 2-3 days. The beaches in the North are very nice this time of year, enjoy. I am envious... I can taste the the Pilsener, a plate of patacones, and some aji now. If you haven't tried it yet, have a bolon (or two) for breakfast, made from plaintains and queso fresco (and a few variants). Que rico...

Wish that I was there in Ecuador as I would love to have you assist in building a wood fired oven at our finca. Sigh, another day.

Enjoy Ecuador, ride safe, mind the sancuches at the beach, they enjoy el sangre extranjero.

Suerte,

Martín
Hola Martín,

I will make sure to hunt down some decent patacones y salsa de aji:

As well as some bolon con queso fresco y café tinto.

I will be exploring the backroads of Ecuador for a while. Will report back what I find. Nice to have you along for the ride amigo.

Saludos,
Don Juan El Rey del Hammock

JDowns screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 08:32 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #3558
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider View Post
Actually Juancito, you'd be wrong about the epiphytic bromeliads, well the bit about no one else being interested!

Out of the blue as a kid I got an interest in bonsai and its been a lifelong hobby. Over the years I developed an interest in general botany. Couple of the highlights of Radioman's epic RR for me was seeing pics of gunnera "Dinosaur Food Plant" in its native range down in Chile, and the fern trees in New Zealand. Lots of riders riding a lot of places, especially out of the way places end up having pics of odd or unique plants and trees. Fun for me, and they probably don't even realize what they are taking pics of!

If I did ride reports they would have smattering of plant and tree pics with commentary, different topic, but same idea as your photos and comments about stonework.
Hi Voidrider,

Okay, for you, more pics of interesting plant life coming your way in future updates. (But lets face it, ADVriding and an interest in horticulture is a rarity).

Saludos,
Juan Horticulturista
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #3559
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Yeah, they are mostly looking for a whore to culture.
geolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #3560
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolpilot View Post
Hi geolpilot,

Now, now. Ladies of the night need culture too. Although that's not the type of whorticulture I was thinking about. But who am I to judge.

Saludos,
Don Juan
Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #3561
1leglance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I don't post much but I had to send a bit of gas fundage your way.
Your adventure has inspired my younger son to travel south america in a few years when he graduates high school.
He just got a 71 CB450 and I am building a sidecar on a Dakar 650 so my gimped up fake leg doesn't hold up our adventures.

Thanks for all the details in your post and making it possible for others to follow along.

enjoy brother and keep on going.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 AM   #3562
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
I don't post much but I had to send a bit of gas fundage your way.
Your adventure has inspired my younger son to travel south america in a few years when he graduates high school.
He just got a 71 CB450 and I am building a sidecar on a Dakar 650 so my gimped up fake leg doesn't hold up our adventures.

Thanks for all the details in your post and making it possible for others to follow along.

enjoy brother and keep on going.
Hi 1leglance,

Wow! That is great news. Your name goes on the Sherpa gas tank.

I was just talking to a Canadian couple at dinner last night about what a great education travel can be for young people, and what a shame so much mis-information is reported in the media at home that creates fear and doubt about traveling the world. It is one of the best ways for young people to learn about different cultures and broaden their perspectives.

Your son is very lucky to have a Dad like you. Back when I rode Hondas in the 70’s in California I bought a CB450 off Cycletrader in West L.A. What a great bike. Used it as a commuter bike. That was back when a 450 was considered a big bike.

Inspiring people to travel the world and explore foreign lands is my new goal in life. I will continue reporting back what I find and hopefully provide useful information you can use in your future travels.

Your ADV pal,
Juan Viajero
Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #3563
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolpilot View Post
Single moms need support

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #3564
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 139
"Inspiring people to travel the world and explore foreign lands is my new goal in life. I will continue reporting back what I find and hopefully provide useful information you can use in your future travels.

Your ADV pal,
Juan Viajero "

This is what I find so inspiring about these ADV reports. Gene and Neda, Kedgi, John, and many others give us a totally different perspective and knowledge about travels in these lands that is based on first hand, up front and personal experience - not what they have concluded after reading media and word of mouth anecdotes.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #3565
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
(snip) I was just talking to a Canadian couple at dinner last night about what a great education travel can be for young people, and what a shame so much mis-information is reported in the media at home that creates fear and doubt about traveling the world. It is one of the best ways for young people to learn about different cultures and broaden their perspectives.
(snip)
Many, many young folks do travel the world, just not many from the US of A. Met these few in Thailand nearly a year ago, this clique is mostly French and Italian, lots more tho from Australia, New Zealand, Spain, etc, etc.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #3566
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Many, many young folks do travel the world, just not many from the US of A. Met these few in Thailand nearly a year ago, this clique is mostly French and Italian, lots more tho from Australia, New Zealand, Spain, etc, etc.
Now thats some good stuff. I can barely walk today after or ride yesterday but I can look at this all day long.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #3567
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Thanks George99,

This ride report could use more pics like that.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #3568
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Traveling south from Colombia to Ecuador I have noticed a few subtle and not so subtle differences. The first thing you notice when you cross the border is how much better the major paved roads are. Hardly any potholes. Wider with shoulders which allows traffic on the A roads to move along much more quickly. Ecuadoreans on these roads drive quite a bit faster as a result. It is also very common for oncoming traffic to pass trucks and buses swinging into your lane forcing you over onto the shoulder. Almost like Guatemala. This is only on the major roads. It happens so often that you are well served to favor the right side of the road along with the local moto traffic. Out on the secondary roads there are more potholes and missing pavement, but I couldn’t believe how much road construction is going on. The main thing to watch for on minor roads with little traffic are the wide swinging buses and trucks coming around blind corners. Once again it is wise to favor the right side of these sparsely traveled roads in the hairpins.

The Ecuadoreans themselves are much more Guatemalan/ indigenous looking. The women are shorter and chubbier. Just an observation. You can ride through a village and not see one thin woman walking down the way. Must be diet I suppose.

Gas prices are a third what they were in Colombia. They seem to be set by the government since every single gas station I have filled up at has regular pegged at $1.48/gallon. Premium fluctuates between $2.00-2.10/gallon. You can ride all day for under 5 bucks on a little bike.

Accomadation prices are about the same in Ecuador as they were in Colombia. Hostal bed is 6-10 dollars. You can generally find a rural basic slightly funky private room with secure parking in the 10.00 range out in the sticks. More in the touristy cities. There are plenty of places to camp if you look, but with the rain in the mountains I have yet to camp in Ecuador.

Food prices are cheaper in Ecuador with a plato tipico for breakfast or lunch running $2.00-2.50 in the rural areas and $4.00-5.00 in the tourist spots.

The internet is sketchy here so I better post this while it’s up. I have been reading up on Ecuadorean history from the lending library here at the hostel. Currently reading “The Mapmakers Wife” by Robert Whitaker which recounts a French cartography expedition to Ecuador in 1735. Quite interesting to see the difference in riding across the country on a dirt bike compared to slashing through the jungles with a mule train to get to Quito 300 years ago.

Let’s just say it took them a lot longer than a day. And the high suspension bridges across canyons and rivers back then were made of vines and handmade rope netting fastened to branches of trees on opposite banks. They covered the fishnet woven floor of the bridges with branches, bark and wood. The explorers had to carry their gear across these sagging high bridges that would bow down with the weight while their porters would swim their mules across the rivers below and meet them on the other side.

Now that’s some ADVmuleriding.

Gotta get back to my book. Today I am taking a page from my new buddies lifestyle. Here he is, Amarillo the ADVcat:

He’s the most mellow cat I have met since North Tulsa Oklahoma. He’s teaching me not to take life too seriously.

more later…..
Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #3569
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElReyDelSofa View Post
Juanito,

Glad to see you are off the Panamerica in Ecuador. There is so much to see and do and so many make the straight Quito, Banos, Cuenca, Peru trip in 2-3 days. The beaches in the North are very nice this time of year, enjoy. I am envious... I can taste the the Pilsener, a plate of patacones, and some aji now. If you haven't tried it yet, have a bolon (or two) for breakfast, made from plaintains and queso fresco (and a few variants). Que rico...

Wish that I was there in Ecuador as I would love to have you assist in building a wood fired oven at our finca. Sigh, another day.

Enjoy Ecuador, ride safe, mind the sancuches at the beach, they enjoy el sangre extranjero.

Suerte,

Martín
Quote:
Hola Martín,

I will make sure to hunt down some decent patacones y salsa de aji:

As well as some bolon con queso fresco y café tinto.

I will be exploring the backroads of Ecuador for a while. Will report back what I find. Nice to have you along for the ride amigo.

Saludos,
Don Juan El Rey del Hammock
I sure was blessed to be in Guayaquil for the burning of the año viejo this year. Jaunted up El Cajas to Cuenca for a day trip, and got sunburned at Playas (Villamil). Hooray! The bike at the finca was dead, but I got to ride one of the guardian's around a neighborhood. Some kind of Suzuki - with all gears press down to go up, I can't get used to that. Not one Pilsener this time, though... it was Brahma and Negro Modelo if you can believe it. Times are changing there, and not everything is for the better. Cost of living is way up. At least gas isn't... yet. $1.48/gal for "super" or "ecopais". Peace, and safe travels!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #3570
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,291
Quote:
The Ecuadoreans themselves are much more Guatemalan/ indigenous looking. The women are shorter and chubbier. Just an observation. You can ride through a village and not see one thin woman walking down the way. Must be diet I suppose.
…..
Oh hey, that's because you're in the Sierra. It's different on the coast. And in the major cities up there. You'll see...

Although I must say I've seen a notable increase in the portliness of the citizenry there over the last several years. The first time I went, I marveled at how difficult is seemed to encounter obese people. No such difficulty earlier this month, though. Enjoy your adventures, whatever they may bring!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote