Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #616
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
All part of the journey!

I packed bearings on my trip and the darn things made it back. Oh well, better to have then to not have. You'd be in a pickle if they didn't have a bearing to fit your rear hub.

Keep it up!
You are right. Better to not use something like bearings than not have them. I will be bringing a few spares back home with me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #617
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
Sorry to jump ahead a little......

Could I ask why you dipped back into Argentina instead of continuing along Ruta 5 and then onto Ruta 7?

Nick.
I wanted to take the ferry from Puerto Fuy and see San Martin and Esquel. Ruta 7 starts before the point we joined it but to get there is a series of ferrys. Would have been cool but can't see everything

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DRRambler screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 06:17 PM
Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #618
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 144 Keep on Moving

Day 144 Angostura to Esquel January 26

It was just beautiful today. We had about 80km more to ride than we expected due to our short distance yesterday.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #619
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 145 Fun with Ripio

Day 145 Esquel to La Junta January 27

Today we turned eastbound again towards Chile. One of the top things to do for both of us was to ride the Carretera Austral. Ruta 7 is a famous road for it's spectacular scenery and beautiful lakes.

But first we needed to get to the border. From Esquel we followed highway 259 which eventually turns to gravel. In this part of the world the gravel roads are called ripio. The ripio here was pretty smooth and fast so we arrived at the Argentina border in no time.

Once again a very easy exit and 100 meters further the entrance to Chile almost as easy.

The nice folks there decided to search us a little more carefully this time which required unpacking a few things.

The door at Chile Aduana

Soon we were riding in Chile again still headed east for 90km to reach Ruta 7.

Upon reaching the turn we started seeing construction and had numerous stops to wait for one lane traffic.

The ripio became extremely rough in places and some sections had loose gravel that had the front wheel dancing. In fact Eran's bike decided to do a jig into the ditch at one point. It was a minor excursion but the left side pannier took another beating.

My new ruta 40 decal

Along the way we passed numerous cyclists moving both directions. It looked like terribly hard work for them. At one rest stop we met a lass from Scotland who started in Vancouver 18 months ago. Quite impressive to say the least. We said farewell thinking that we'd not see here again.

Twenty minutes later I lost Eran in my mirrors and stopped to wait for him to catch up. I soon realized I needed to back track. About 2 km back up the road I saw him inspecting his bike. A major bolt had dissapeared causing the subframe to slump almost hitting the rear wheel. We walked up the road scanning the ripio for the bolt amongst the grey rocks and gravel. After a few hundred meters I returned to the bike to start removing the seat and side panels. I was dismayed to discover a bigger problem. When Eran returned I showed him the subframe had broken and the fuel tank brace was also damaged.

We started to form a strategy when a pickup truck stopped. Three guys got out and started helping us. By now the rain had started in earnest and the frustration level was high. The guys suggested loading the KLR into the truck and going to town 15km away.

So Eran took his turn riding in a truck while I followed. We were dropped off at a mechanics place and within 90 minutes had the bike welded up and back together.

And while there the left side pannier had a much needed makeover.

I had gone searching for a hostel while this was going on so by 10pm we were eating supper and ready to go to bed.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #620
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Chili

I had no idea it was so beautiful there! Thanks for the education! Hope the weld holds!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #621
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophijo View Post
I had no idea it was so beautiful there! Thanks for the education! Hope the weld holds!
It truly is spectacular here.
The weld is holding so far. Today we rode 230km of gravel and it stayed together. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #622
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 146 Another WOW Day

Day 146 La Junta to Coyhaique January 28

View Larger Map

What an absolutely fabulous day today. The morning started with a visit from the cyclist Joanna who was riding by our hostel as we loaded the bikes. She had camped at the spot we met her last night and we were indeed surprised to see her. We saw her again at the gas station a few minutes later, and once again as we got moving.

The ripio was perfect, hard packed and fast with very few loose sections.

The scenery was spectacular and we both had ear to ear grins all day.

About half the distance from Coyhaique pavement started and it was equally fantastic.

We are contemplating a rest day in Coyhaique so I can do an oil change on Skelly.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #623
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 147 Recharge

We woke up to steady rain this morning so It was an easy decision to stay here another night.

Here is a video of yesterday's activity

Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #624
B73
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Best report I've read

I've been following your report for 4 months now and am so impressed with your determination and drive to keep it going. I travelled in South America in the mid 80's but not on a bike. You have inspired me to do it.
Where on the Island are you settling. I'm in Courtenay and hope we can meet some time.
Cheers, Brent
Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #625
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by B73 View Post
I've been following your report for 4 months now and am so impressed with your determination and drive to keep it going. I travelled in South America in the mid 80's but not on a bike. You have inspired me to do it.
Where on the Island are you settling. I'm in Courtenay and hope we can meet some time.
Cheers, Brent
Thanks Brent,

We'll be between Nanaimo and Comox, probably Bowser area. I'm looking forward to getting to know some local riders.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #626
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,036
I, like many here, have enjoyed your excellent RR since the beginning. Glad to hear we'll be seeing you on the island. Bill.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 AM   #627
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 148 Carretera Blues

Day 148 Coyhaique to Cochrane January 30

View Larger Map

Today was another fantastic day.

We had 95km of pavement out of Coyhaique.

until the gravel started. We rode 240km of ripio today...fantastic!!

The turquoise rivers and lakes surrounded us all day

Eran wanted to harvest some local ditch fruit

5 minutes of the Carretera Austral

Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #628
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 142
Great RR...try to catch up to you each morning...video around the lake..superb.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #629
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 606
Great RR. Thank you for the time and effort you are putting into this. we know it is not easy.
pceire32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #630
mjt1577
MinisterOfSillyWalks

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Thanks Brent,

We'll be between Nanaimo and Comox, probably Bowser area. I'm looking forward to getting to know some local riders.
Bowser is a nice area...I'm down in Duncan...we should get all your Island followers together this summer! Safe travels from here on...
mjt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote