Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #16
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 366
Truthfully folks....I'm more terrified of any driver texting!!!!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #17
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 888
My wife's grandfather was killed when he pulled out in front of someone. He passed instantly. Grandma had to be extracted out from under the dash. It was generally agreed that he should not have been driving anymore, sadly he was the family patriarch, an old school Mennonite preacher and didn't want anyone telling him what to do.
My wife has told me that she took a ride with him a few months before that and she was scared to get in the car with him behind the wheel.
I've read that the AARP campaigns against testing for senior citizens, claiming that it infringes on their rights.
One things for sure, when I see a gold Buick Lesabre with a grey head looking over the wheel I stay the hell away.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #18
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,108
I don't rider between 10am and 12pm on Sundays because of the blue hairs going to church. I usually wait till 1pm.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #19
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
That is about the worst thing I have ever seen posted on this board, you are definitely part of the problem, people like you is exactly why the mass killing is allowed to go on.

As an airline pilot, we get tested all the time, and have to perform to a level far beyond what any driver has to. Flying a plane is about 100 times more complicated and harder than driving a car is, yet how many deaths do we get in the US per year in commercial airline accidents, most years zero.

We get 30,000 deaths a year on the roads, where the task is much simpler, and you say the system is working ? Its a shame people like you support this, people like you are defiantly a force for bad.

Not checking people or doing anything about incompetence until they make a lot of obvious mistakes, have you ever put any thought into what you just supported in you post ??? In aviation, we have proven this to be a very stupid attitude and we make every attempt to catch incompetence well before it kills people... This is not opinion, this is fact and we move hundreds of millions of people per year safely. Its just sucks that a really great person has to pay the price for such stupidity and attitudes that allow it to go on.

Mike

Interesting. I see, I must be the problem because I let people go about their business until they screw up. You want people re-tested at a certain point. So do I. I say that point is a violation and you seem to say that point is a certain age. We are not so different. We each draw a line, but:

3 things come to mind:

1) if what I wrote was the worst thing you have seen posted here, you haven't looked very hard

2) this is about driving, not flying. Apples and oranges.

3) if I am so wrong, why do most Americans agree with my point? If they did not, the laws would be different. Should people do better on the road? Yes. Will they? No.

Other than that, "people like me" let the cops do their job and it shouldn't be "a lot of obvious mistakes" to get a license pulled. One big one or a few minor ones gets a person in trouble.

Also, people drive without licenses all the time. No magic law will stop it as those people already don't give a damn. They are out there so be careful.

I take driving and riding seriously. I have a clean driving history and have taken the MSF ERC as well as multiple Cali Superbike School days. This does not mean I am done learning. Never.

However, this is all side-bar to a man who lost his life while riding.

Ride In Peace Sarge.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #20
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 734
I am 58. I am hoping that riding a motorcycle and continuing to play basketball will keep my coordination and motorskills up to an acceptable level. I also hope that if they go away that I recognize it. I don't think I could live with myself if I did something like this driver did.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #21
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
My dad was a fighter pilot. He flew combat in P-38s and P-51s in WWII and F-51s and F-80s (and a few other birds) in Korea. He also flew a bunch of other fighters including the F-104, F-102, F-106 and was flying the F-101B when he retired from the Air Force. When he retired from the Air Force he never flew again. At all. Said there was no way he could keep current enough flying private planes.

He was also a very good driver. When he was 76 he hit a deer. He said that was it, he wasn't going to drive any more. I asked him why - hitting a deer is fairly commonplace in rural PA. He said maybe so, but he should have been able to miss that one and he wasn't going to drive any more. I thought he was driving better than most of the population at that point, but he wasn't driving up to HIS standards. I really respected him for that.

Wish more people understood their limitations. . . .
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Not sure if it's related, but I went for a ride last night and the Jeffco Sheriffs were out in force running speed traps. I can't remember the last time I passed a Jeffco sheriff running stationary radar/laser at night where I ride. Last night I passed 4.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #23
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
this sh!t happens everyday.

just this week in L.A. an 87 y.o. man ran a stop sign and plowed into a family of 5 using the crosswalk.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
Veteran Noob
Unremarkable

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I think the system we have in place for all drivers works.
Couldn't disagree more. I don't think the system works for any drivers. Driving (and riding) is a right in this country, not a privilege. We make it easy to get a license and we're loathe to take it away, regardless of impairments or history (as long as you're willing to pony up for any transgressions).

Of course, that's more or less moot, given that the punishment for operating without proper authorization amounts to little more than a slap on the wrist (not to mention the slim chance of getting caught).
Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #25
greenramp OP
Airborne

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
this sh!t happens everyday.

just this week in L.A. an 87 y.o. man ran a stop sign and plowed into a family of 5 using the crosswalk.
this may happen every day over there but in the United States it isn't so common.

I agree testing should happen more regularly but I don't feel comfortable with those DMV fools deciding if I am competent, passing a test is easy.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #26
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Interesting.

2) this is about driving, not flying. Apples and oranges.

3) if I am so wrong, why do most Americans agree with my point? If they did not, the laws would be different. Should people do better on the road? Yes. Will they? No.

4 - Also, people drive without licenses all the time.
5 - Ride In Peace Sarge.
2: Driving is PLENTY complicated and a LOT more crowded - and obviously potentially just as fatal

3: Why don't we Americans want more rigorous testing ? Because many of us are lazy, entitled, self-centered fools.

4: The penalty for driving w/o a license should be made MUCH more serious - like heavy fines/community service for the 1st offense and some time in a cell for further abuse of the law.

5: Yes, RIP to the deceased - he and his family deserve MUCH better.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #27
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,142
Interesting development of the thread.
Driver could as easily been a teener, tweener. What then? teener bashing? Tweener bashing?

No degree of testing will ban accidents. That nanny state mentality will ultimately smother civilisation.

There are some theme related neighbouring threads: faster always better, hi-viz believers.
Well worth to compare arguments. No matter how well prepared one is, we all need some luck, good fortune, karma, whatever..., from time to time.

Sincere condolences to the motorcyclist's relatives.
To all bro's: be wary out there!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #28
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,679
Age does NOT have a thing to to with driver competence. It's an individual matter. It has to do with mental and physical state and eyesight. A good friend of mine actively roadraced a 1949 handshift WR H-D until he was 85. He passed away last year at the age of 89, sharp as a tack until the end.

There are a whole lot more incompetent young drivers out there than there are old timers.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #29
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,272
http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1114.pdf
Look at this table.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #30
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
Police departments removing motorcycles from service.
Forever.
No more bikes, just cars.
Sure. You for, or against?

Putting someone on a bike costs a fair chunk- the bike, or the car for when they can't ride the bike, the extra gear for the bike, training for the bike, limited carrying capacity...

Offset that by good first response capability, good PR, maybe cheaper to operate (MPG of a Tahoe, Charger, or Mustang, vs. any motorcycle, when doing point-and-squirt traffic stops?)

In some European cities, they use FJRs as first response paramedic bikes. That's a capability I'd like to see explored more in the states.

Quote:
Funeral services for our brother Sergeant Dave Baldwin have been set for Monday, February 3 at the 1st Bank Event Center, 11450 Broomfield Lane, Broomfield (near Hwy 36 and Wadsworth) at 10:00 a.m. All who want to attend are welcome to do so.
If you're in Denver and can get the time go to the funeral. If the weather's amenable, ride there. Tie a blue ribbon on your jacket or on the bike; show some support. No matter how you feel about the police, that RIDER's family is hurting right now. I can only offer wishes for peace to them and his friends and co-workers.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote