Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #31
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Great report! You're pretty handy with the camera.
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #32
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
Great report! You're pretty handy with the camera.
Yup!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #33
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsMetal View Post

The food is good, except for the green sauce, and I try to pay but have no idea how much. So I hold out a wad of bills and they pick through them and get paid and I threw in a generous tip and headed out.

I am still wondering what happened.
Oh does that sound familiar! I can't count the number of times I've eaten god only knows what, usually loved it, and let them figure out what they needed from my wad of cash.

It's really a lot of fun, isn't it!? I don't think I've ever been burned this way eating or such. We won't talk about taxi's. But really, even they haven't been bad.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #34
Jproaster
I work too much

Oddometer: 163
Totally enjoying your report. Im hoping to visit coffee fincas of Mex and Guat this Nov.
Jproaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #35
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 458
Quote:

The food is good, except for the green sauce, and I try to pay but have no idea how much. So I hold out a wad of bills and they pick through them and get paid and I threw in a generous tip and headed out.

I am still wondering what happened.

the one on the right seems suspicious

The way you described the entire scene really brought out a laugh, seem's like a situation I would get into.

I enjoyed the report and good on you for getting out there and exploring.
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #36
bromax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Nice

I really enjoyed your post and picturs.
bromax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #37
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 894
Thanks a bunch for posting up!

Six friends and I did a nine thousand mile loop from Eastern Ontario through the same area in '07. (Stayed in some of the same places).

Brought back some great memories

Viva Mexico
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #38
PhillipsMetal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I appreciate everybody following the thread. I had a few meals down there that I wasn't sure about, but that was part of the fun. Some basic Spanish would be a big help, especially when ordering food and paying for stuff, but it added to the adventure at times.

Also, thanks for the photo compliments. I enjoy photography, but I brought too much equipment. I am going to do a post ride list like PlznMySoul did on his ride and address that ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942282 ). I think I am going to have to steal some of his routes on this trip down. That looked like a nice ride.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #39
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Really nice story & photos
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #40
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,618
Quote:
LOL - no kidding. I have to pick up my bike from the shop Tuesday and the high is supposed to be 35. If nobody hears from me next week, I may have started my Mexico return a little early.
How is your new bike coming along!

I am in Dallas visiting my daughter at the moment. Plan to head out Monday or Tuesday.
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #41
PhillipsMetal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

June 10, 11 and 12, 2013

Anyone who has ridden the I-10 or I-20 route can close their eyes and envision nearly any stretch of the highway.

The most notable part of the first day was the heat. Crap, it is hot. 108 degrees and its like riding through a blast furnace. I stop every 30 minutes and hose myself off and chug water but it is still taking it out of me. El Paso is giant traffic jam thanks to a couple of wrecks. I finally rode the shoulder to keep from overheating me and the bike. Thankfully it cooled down a little the last couple of days.

Other than the intensely grooved highway through the Ft. Worth area, it was the typical 2 days of holding the straight line.

The most refreshing part of Mexico for me was the new found sense of freedom. Riding the back roads with Rick around Santa Clara was a flashback to our high school days of cruising the dirt roads in Ramer, Alabama. People enjoying life without the safety of big brother protecting them, food vendors operating without 5 licenses and an easy going vibe that is impossible to find, even in our government designated entertainment districts.

I pulled up next to a lady driving through Guaymas with a baby in her lap. Thanks to years of conditioning, I was initially shocked, but after thinking about it, I started to realize that her baby was fortunate to grow up without being straight jacketed into the back seat of an SUV staring at a DVD. One of my favorite childhood memories was lying in the huge back window of my Dad’s Volvo on a long trip and gazing at the world without a care. That experience would never happen today in the US.

Riding through Mexico was like turning back the clock 50 years on our trend towards trading freedom for safety. While there are very real consequences for embracing freedom, a ride through Mexico will also remind you of the rewards.

No bribes or bandits - My initiation to Mexico: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945109
Back Roads To Bama ride: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842228

PhillipsMetal screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 09:52 PM
PhillipsMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #42
PhillipsMetal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After the ride

A few thoughts after the ride:

I wanted to debadge my bike before I left and just didn’t get it done. I wish now that I had and I will before the next ride. The BMW badge is very recognizable and it too flashy for me in the states, much less in Mexico where riding the BMW gets a LOT of attention. PlznMySoul said he was sure debadging his bike saved him some hassle at the south border and I easily see that happening. I am going to get some anvil themed brushed stainless steel logos laser cut for the recessed openings on the tank.

I enjoy photography and made the mistake of taking too much gear. I had visions of reshooting Sterling Noren’s “Beyond the Border”, but there just wasn’t that kind of time to really dedicate to setting up anything too elaborate. I set up my D300s one time with pocket wizards to get some riding shots and used it a few time to photograph Rick’s family. The rest of the trip I used my D50 in the tank bag. The problem with carrying around expensive (to me) camera equipment is the distraction of worrying about it. Along with the D300s, I had a 70-210 f 2.8 lens, pocket wizards, a couple of SB800 flashes and a few fixed length lenses. I would like to find a smaller and cheaper camera that will trigger off of the pocket wizards for the next trip or just buy a D70 or something in that price range that has the 10 pin connector for the pocket wizards. Next trip I will leave all the extras at home and have just enough to fit in the tank bag. I am adding a GoPro next trip.

One tip for anyone taking a bunch of photographs on a trip is the Lightroom software for editing photographs. It is easy to use and is a super quick way to wade through a bunch of photographs, select the keepers and edit them.

Not knowing the language is not a show stopper for making the trip, but it would add to the experience. I was lucky in having a friend who could show me the culture but I would have missed a lot of that otherwise.

I chose my BMW 1200 GSA on the advice of a friend of a friend that has a serious collection of motorcycles. It was good advice but if I could afford a bike just for Mexico, it would be a lot smaller. Probably in the 650 – 800 range, or smaller. The 1200 was really nice for getting to the border, but it was a little heavy for some of the places I wanted to wander through. The 1200 is very capable of these rides, but I get a little conservative when I am so far out of pocket.

New visitors should be aware of the lack of personal space on the road. If you are one of those people that believes paying taxes entitles you to your whole marked lane, with nobody riding your bumper, then you will not be happy in Mexico. Driving is not as structured as it is here.

I am going to get a cell phone for this trip, just so I don’t have to find internet to tell everyone at home hello. I am going to try to set one up before I leave.
The SPOT is very cool, but it drives me crazy thinking about buying a one year subscription for a couple of weeks of use. ADV Rider should add a category for renting SPOTS from owners who have them sitting in the garage between rides. I will try the flea market before my next trip to see if I have anybody interested in renting one.

That’s about it. I hope to have more in the next couple months. Thanks for tagging along.

PhillipsMetal screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 09:54 PM Reason: Fixing font sizes
PhillipsMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #43
Vato Jinete
Feo del Norte

Oddometer: 519
Camera and satelitte info

Pocket Wizard will work with the Fuji X series.
The X-Pro-1 and X-E2 have low light abilities equal to your D300s.
The glass is rated very high competing with Leica.
I own one and only use my Nikon in the studio.
A lot of info on DP Review and other places.

Instead of Spot check out the Delorme InReach SE They have a one year plan and after that the subscription can be monthly.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #44
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,618
Thanks for the RR!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #45
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,374
nice RR!...reminded me of the time I was in Guaymas and San Carlos a decade ago for a skydive boogie. Skydive Arizona flew down a few Twin Otters and a King air to let us skydive and land on the beach at that San Carlos resort...

BTW, the movie Catch 22 was filmed in that cove...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_(film)

an old pic
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote