User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
G54B OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Eye-tee-twofiddy-hayche

Bought this ratty-yet-mostly-there '81 IT250 for $700 last Monday. Might seem a tad steep to those of you used to being able to pick such examples up for a case, but hey, this is 'Straya. Shit that shouldn't cost money, does.

Done so far:
-Broke the killswitch off the IT switchblock, so it's got the throttle/killswitch assembly and grips from my old '80 DT175 on it. Cable sheath ends are different, but it works.
-LHS chain/rear wheel adjusty jigger was chewed to shit on the inside, flipped it and she's apples for now. Will eventually find a replacement.
-Pulled the forks apart; RHS is fine, nice and clean, just needs new seals. LHS is rooted, looks like someone decided that seawater would be an awesome substitute for fork oil. Turned out OK after a hit with the wire wheel and a few days in a tub of molasses to kill the rust. The guts are pretty ugly, but the valves are clean and all seal surfaces are fine.

To do:
-Base gasket, possibly crank seals
-Gearbox oil change
-Front tyre
-Headlight

Plans for this thing are mainly to just tidy it up a bit and tear around the 5,000 acres I have at my disposal plus the firetrails in the adjoining state forest, but I plan on hitting a few vinduros next year as well. Should be fun :)
G54B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
G54B OP
Adventurer

Talking

Couldn't/can't sleep (yay, insomnia!), so I went out and threw the exhaust/plastics/tank/seat back on it, mixed up 5L of fuel at 20:1 as per the tank sticker and kicked the old bird over. It hadn't been started in six months or so, so I wasn't expecting much.
Killswitch off, fuel on, choke on, twist of the throttle, kick, kick, she lives!!!
Killed it pretty quick, seeing as it's 3:15am and it's a friggin' noisy old thing, but it runs. As I was told, it leaks around the base gasket, but sounds healthy otherwise. Should be good once I do the base gasket and finish rebuilding the forks. Good enough to give my cousin and his pesky XR250 a fright at any rate, even if it's only because I've shot off into the scrub due to brake fade :
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Nice find

What is up with the Ozzy IT forum I have not been able to get it.

http://www.yamahait.com.au
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 529
Strewth mate, did a camera from 1981 come with the bike? It's either that or I have had one too many VBs this evening.

Only ribbing. Welcome to the forum, and make sure to post pics of the resto project.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
G54B OP
Adventurer

Yamahait's been down for a while now, bit shit. Been using vinduro.com.au and this place to get my fix, haha

As for the camera, $129 Chinese phone. That is all. My camera's battery's flat and the cord's gone for a wander, so yeah.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
G54B OP
Adventurer

Minor update: base gasket is done, runs like a champ. Now with 100% less escaping compression!
Now to get the forks together so I can go for a ride, get it warmed up properly and see if it'll be needing crank seals.

Pictures and hopefully a first ride report tomorrow. How sad's that, I've owned the bike for a couple weeks now and haven't yet ridden it, lol
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
Strewth mate, did a camera from 1981 come with the bike? It's either that or I have had one too many VBs this evening.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 529
@Austinjake: Crickey, I can't believe that is the same bike!

Edmond Dantès screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 03:29 PM
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,010
Good looking bike. Just something odd I've noticed since searching out these bikes. Mine was an 81, but all white. Almost all the pictures I see of 81's from south of the border are blue.

P.S. This is a picture I found of somebody else's & pretty well the only one I could find in white.
Does anyone know the reasoning behind the color difference besides the white ones being faster?

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 113
In the USA, the Yamaha ITs of 1981 were all white, and the only model year for that.
1980 were blue and white.
1982 were back to all blue until the last model year an IT was sold in the USA, which was the 1986 IT-200S.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
G54B OP
Adventurer

ITs are a pretty good-looking bike, but this one? Not so much, lol. Mechanically it's pretty good bar the forks and possibly the crank seals, but cosmetically it's a bucket. Missing lights, sunburnt plastics etc.

As for the colour thing, I'd think it'd be the usual regional market differences. Bit like how GM slapped an ugly nose and LHD on/in our VX-VZ Holden Monaro and sold it to you lot as the Pontiac GTO last decade.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
G54B OP
Adventurer

No pictures to show of the work carried out in rebuilding the forks, but I do have one of the finished product!

Jumping on this after having not ridden anything faster than my little '76 XL100 for quite a while was a bit of a surprise, I nearly looped it the first time I got it on the pipe :
It does have a bit of an air leak somewhere as it will hunt around rather alarmingly at times, but for all that it actually runs and rides really well. Chugs along reasonably well in first crawling up and down the gravel pits in the local state forest provided I'm not too sparse with the clutch, and has more than enough power once on the pipe to get my 118kg moving at a rate of knots that I'm not entirely comfortable with when I'm relying on a TLS drum to pull me up, lol.

Next job: Crank seals. I'll also have to work out a way to seal the airbox, some numpty PO hacked holes in it.
As for the brakes, I've read that a TT250/350 disc front end bolts up, so I'll keep my eye out. Should be easier to source than an IT200S front end, at any rate.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
MCRatworks
Oil Burning Suzuki!!

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by G54B View Post
How sad's that, I've owned the bike for a couple weeks now and haven't yet ridden it, lol
That`s OK mate. I`ve had a 1982 TT 250 for nigh on TEN YEARS and never even heard the white bastard fire up.

Thats after spending 600 early 2000`s Aussie dollars in getting the top end re manufactured ( some fuckwit was too lazy to scrape old gaskets and blocked an oil gallery. Tappets looked like someone had taken an angle grinder to em. Not to mention the camshaft condition. Funny thing is, i KNOW the person who did it!)

Some people need to be neutered at birth, so their spawns can never own motorcycles.

Dave
Old 03-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
G54B OP
Adventurer

Thread resurrection. Looks much the same, bag's not there, the one surviving tank sticker blew off on the way to go riding with a mate and it's covered in a mixture of the things dirtbikes are usually covered in and oily dirty shit from a split fuel line.

Recent issues:
-There were a few age-related cracks in the LHS of the tank that decided to start leaking on me, got them plastic-welded shut and she's apples. Belted it with a rubber mallet, dropped it on that side whilst moving sheep, held up fine. It's ugly, but hey, it worked. Besides, that's what tank covers are for.
-Pulled up to open a gate last weekend and discovered that it was literally pouring fuel out the carb overflows. Fuel tap doesn't really work, but it doesn't cause the carb to piss fuel everywhere either. Guessing stuck float, gonna pull it apart and give it a good clean when I'm not quite so flat out with sowing.
-One of the zipties holding the RHS fork boot in place broke. Big stuff, I know.

Other than that it's been super reliable. Stomps all over my cousin's XR250 everywhere (only due to the horsepower advantage, he's bloody quick on that thing), walks away from my brother's XR600 in the tighter stuff, so I'm happy. That said, if my brother wasn't a slowcoach I'd say the big bitch would probably give this thing a good scare, especially given it's 10yr advanced suspension and disc brakes. Neither are a strong point with the ITs.
Shit-tonnes of fun to ride, plenty of power, super stable, handles like a barge in the singletrack but there's not a lot of that around here so meh.
'79 Suzuki GS550 shed ornament/future daily ride

G54B screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 10:59 AM