Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #46
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
This isn't your typical tourist blindly following the gps story. They didn't get stuck until after they'd turned around and were trying to get out:

http://davidsworld.org/2013/06/27/st...part-i-of-iii/

On other threads, others have said that this guy is a complete idiot. I disagree. He realized he was in deep shit and tried to get out before he got stuck. Not just barreling through blindly like the other tourist/gps stories.

For those that don't care to take the time: Rented car/gps, Lone Pine to Racetrack...in June. Decide to take Saline Valley/Lippincott-the shorter route. Numerous close calls, then car stuck, walk out, finally get cell reception to get a lift. Expensive tow, but free t-shirt. More expensive rental bill and insurance lesson.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #47
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
On other threads, others have said that this guy is a complete idiot. I disagree. He realized he was in deep shit and tried to get out before he got stuck. Not just barreling through blindly like the other tourist/gps stories.
What is slightly less than "complete" in the idiot category?

Interesting story. The guy is a fairly good writer. The stuff at the end, added to the epilog after he thought he was done writing, has the best tips. I know that I need to improve a bit in the area of being prepared to be stuck far from civilization.

Thanks for linking to that story.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #48
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
What is slightly less than "complete" in the idiot category?

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #49
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
This is an awesome thread, bump.

My basic concern is a flat. I know nothing about taking off wheels, and a tube fail on the rocky trails here is a risk. I've ran out of gas, and walked around listening for people using leaf-blowers or mowers, and found out when begging for gas, don't qualify it with "premium"
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #50
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
This isn't your typical tourist blindly following the gps story.

Sorry Ron, but it really is just some complete idiot that just about killed himself and his even dumber girlfriend. He tracks where his drivel gets linked and you'll get to meet him soon enough if history truly does repeat itself. Me and that fool have already had it out on another forum. This current version of the story is his newly edited version...he never turned back until the car was unable to move under it's own power.

It's idiots like this guy and the other couple I saw in November(another Camry on Lippencott) that are going to get that road gated for 'public safety' reasons. Don't forget, DVNP has a new Super in the twilight of her career and those are the most dangerous...they want to leave their mark for all of time.

I wish they'd go back and clean up their Camry parts, poor ambassadors for all of us.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #51
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Well, if the story is different than what I read, I'll hold back on my evaluation. People getting stuck is one thing, it's when people get hurt or die that will really bring the access to head.

So he tracks his stories story across the internet, eh? Well, I hope he brings it on. I wonder if he's legally killed anyone and has a lawyer on retainer.....

Old 01-31-2014, 04:50 AM   #52
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Not much of an adventure, but a stuck and hurt none the less. My 13 GSA was loaded in my truck at dealer, I drove two hours home and just wanted to unload and go for a ride. I put ramp up on tailgate of truck and decided since there was no one around to help I could unload it by myself. My first GSA, with a full tank of fuel. It fell over on me as rear wheel started down ramp, Only thing that kept it in truck was crash bar dug into spray on bed liner and it teetered there have in and half out of the truck. I got under it and decided I would pick it back up, well I popped a rib out of place straining so hard. In pain and pissed at myself I scour the neighborhood for anyone to help. Two 70 year olds and a Kubota Tractor. We picked it up by handle bars with straps and the 3 of us rolled it down into my garage. I was not able to ride it for 4 weeks due to injury. Embarrassed to say the least, they still ''rib'' me about that one when they see me. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #53
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Two 70 year olds and a Kubota Tractor. We picked it up by handle bars with straps and the 3 of us rolled it down into my garage. I was not able to ride it for 4 weeks due to injury. Embarrassed to say the least, they still ''rib'' me about that one when they see me. D.
Best adventure part: getting neighborhood people to assist on non-injury issue, when you'd avoid them otherwise.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #54
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,381
I ride solo 99.9% of the time, but in the pinelands of NJ, which is not huge, at least out to any road. You can walk out from anyplace in 12 hours tops.

Its easy to get a bike stuck though, its very wet in a lot of places.
So I never bring anything, only a cell phone which works in spots.
I tend to tell no one where I am going (out riding) because I never know where I will end up.

The only time I almost had a problem was after a bad crash 10 miles into the woods. Enough broken bones and injuries to where I could not lift the bike.
Walking out was not a good option, I had slight cell coverage.

So I sat there thinking about it for a while and some guys rode up and found me. That was unusual, but there was an enduro race the next day in the area.

I could have made a call (maybe) and after many hours, they might have found me, otherwise, it would have been a close call about me getting out alive.
The doctors told me I was lucky to be alive at all, but I do not look at it that way.

Lessons learned? Get a lighter bike for dirt riding.

I would feel different in places more vast.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #55
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,085
Riding to the west of 395 south of Mammoth Lakes I was headed up into the hills after opening and closing a gate. I then noticed a bull that had noticed me, he gave chase. By a slender margin I managed to stay ahead while clawing up a loose gravel jeep trail on my KTM 250, wishing I had more traction.

After escaping the bull, made my way up a switchback trail. At one point noticing a side trail headed down. So down we go, couple hundred yards and the trail dead ended. I turned to retreat back up the trail. Lesson learned this day was never go down something you can not get back up.

I had to go down through the bushes. From 395 those bushes look like they may be like sage brush..3-4 feet tall. The bushes on that hill were more like 8-15 feet tall and thick. The only thing going for me was that "down" was easy to follow, it was steep. After an hour or so of bushwacking we, the bike and I, escaped. Came close to abandoning the bike on the hill that day.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #56
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
45 years of riding and the only time I've been stranded was when I broke a chain on my Trail 90 with my girlfriend on the back in a redwood forest at the bottom of a canyon. That was about 40 years ago and I learned my lesson. Always bring stuff to fix a chain.

Not a motorcycle but it just as well could have been. A couple of my friends were flying their ultralight PPCs out near the Alvord Desert in SE Oregon, a very desolate place, when one of them ran out of gas. He landed uneventfully on a flat spot between the sage brush and asked the guy who was flying next to him by radio to fly back to camp and have someone bring a gas can. His fellow flyer marked the point on his GPS, flew back to camp and a few of us set out on trail bikes with a gas can to the coordinates provided. We parked the bikes about a mile away from the coordinates, hopped the barbed wire fence, and hiked to the marked point. Nothing there. Climbed a small nearby hill and still couldn't spot him or the machine so we rode back to camp.

At that point we started an air and ground search and spotted his machine over a half mile from the marked point. Turns out the other flyer marked the point where he was flying, not the point of the downed aircraft. Unfortunately the downed pilot had left the machine and tried to walk back to the road about 6 or 7 miles away, without shade, water, or hat. We found him a few hours later sitting in the sage brush suffering from sun stroke. Fortunately one of the gals in our camp was an RN and he was OK after a few hours rest and hydration.

Moral of the story is be sure you have the correct coordinates if you're going to arrange a rescue, bring water and hat, stay with machine if help is a long walk away.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #57
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Riding to the west of 395 south of Mammoth Lakes I was headed up into the hills after opening and closing a gate. I then noticed a bull that had noticed me, he gave chase.
Livestock can graze public land but el toro on your ass is something else. Was that ranchland you entered?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #58
wr37
Woods Racer

Oddometer: 69
Over the years I have been stuck, swamped , broken-down and half frozen more times than I care to remember. I'm a bad one for playing "let's see where this goes" on a bike or a sled. Maybe that's why I ride alone a lot. One of the main things to remember is when to give up and walk out. If your stuck, don't wait till your too tired to walk. If you are broken down, don't wait till it's too dark to see. You need to be able to judge when to give it up and leave the bike. Sometimes it's pride, sometimes it is the fear someone will come along and steal your stuff. The first thing that goes through my mind when forward progression stops, - "What time is it". Well maybe the first thing is
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #59
wescat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Great thread. Subscribed.

Cpt. Ron, could you fix the link in post #1? Thanks.
wescat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #60
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by wescat View Post
Great thread. Subscribed.

Cpt. Ron, could you fix the link in post #1? Thanks.
No I can't. That thread was deleted.