Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #13696
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazza View Post
My bike is booked to have the tyres changed tomorrow but the battery is dead. I swear I have in the past had charging done with a regular car charger. Its an agm battery and research seems to suggest the car charger is ok. Is it ok to if I keep an eye on it?

Sent from my ZTE T81 using Tapatalk
couldnt see why not naz. its 12v
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #13697
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
My bike is booked to have the tyres changed tomorrow but the battery is dead. I swear I have in the past had charging done with a regular car charger. Its an agm battery and research seems to suggest the car charger is ok. Is it ok to if I keep an eye on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbikedude View Post
couldnt see why not naz. its 12v
As long as it doesn't hit it with too many amps. 3 amps would be the max I'd pump into a DR battery from a charger lest it get overheated. If its really dead, maybe a fancy electronic charger like a CTek might make it live again.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #13698
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,293
Well if matty goes and gets the cable for the bike charger off the boat today I Can use that. If not I will have no choice. He doesn't look like he is going anywhere.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #13699
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Well if matty goes and gets the cable for the bike charger off the boat today I Can use that. If not I will have no choice. He doesn't look like he is going anywhere.

jump start it with a car battery and go for a ride
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #13700
nazza
Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendude View Post
jump start it with a car battery and go for a ride
I asked to do that off the landy but was told no. Anyway I had no choice but use the charger there. Seems ok but will find out when I put it in in the morning to make my tyre appointment :$

Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 AM   #13701
wisejangrae
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
I asked to do that off the landy but was told no. Anyway I had no choice but use the charger there. Seems ok but will find out when I put it in in the morning to make my tyre appointment :$

If it's a Gell Battery and a Small Car Charger you may have trouble
good advice jump start from car / bike etc and then ride

cheers
G
wisejangrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #13702
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:

AGM batteries are really fussy about the way they are charged. Personally, I would never use one in a motorcycle. They may be better these days, but they dont like ripple, which is the essence of most motorcycle chargeing mechanisims, especially older ones.

Problem with a lot of bikes, is use cant use a wet cell battery cause they mount the batteries in wierd ways.

As for car chargers, if its the old arlec style 4A transformer type, then bin it. No good for charging small batteries. Find a charger suited to AGM's and GEL batteries.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #13703
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,095
Jump starting really is the best option. If the battery doesn't hold a charge after the bike's been running for a while, then it really is stuffed.

Jumping from a fully charged larger battery seems to give the dead battery that kick in the guts that gets them going again.

All a bit technical, I know
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #13704
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Just a word of warning. A car battery can supply a lot of current. If the battery on the bike is truly dead, it can end up in smoke! Jumping starting is fine, just keep your eye on it at all times!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #13705
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
I got these I keep on my strom

greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:09 AM   #13706
Lupine128
That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer: 942
Thought I might just drop in a small bit of info on jump starting a bike.
It's fine to jump a bike off a car, even modern efi/ecm jobbies, but you need to do it the right way. I know everyone knows this already, but it's probably handy to post it up again.
First things first.
Never have the car running. Not ever.
Car charging systems are a LOT stronger than a bikes and you run a good chance of cooking something. Leave the car off.
Speaking of off, make sure the bike is switched off. When you are sure, then connect the positive terminals using good quality jump cables. Positive is red/+. Once you are sure of a solid connection on your +, then hook up the black/- side.
The negative or black cable is a little different to set up. Find a good chassis earth point on the bike. Swing arm pivot bolts, peg mounts, someplace like that. You want a really good solid earth point because you hook the negative lead to that, not the battery.
Wait 5 to 10 seconds then hit the starter.
Always be ready to yank the negative cable if needed. It's usually best to have two when you jump a bike, one to do the actual starting and one just to watch the leads/battery.
Doing it like this places less stress on the battery, and reduces the risk of a spark doing nasty things to your electrics. In the worst case it prevents igniting vented gas and going boom.
This is the technique I was shown and it's how we do all our jumps (about 10 a day).
Hope this helps.

Dropped from full Team F5 sponsorship due to family commitments.
Stupid family.
Lupine128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:49 AM   #13707
nazza
Trouble

Well.. yep I knew the risks and I kept an eye out for overheating but in the end it was my only option, considering.. ahem difficulties, and my appointment for the next morning.
It worked, and I made it to get the tyres done.. they charged me the same as if I took the wheels off.. despite being told not to go there.
Charlie is all go.. had a few rides today and I feel good after 8 months off (yes I know, I am ashamed). More adventures for me and Charlie soon.. hopefully very soon.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #13708
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine128 View Post
Thought I might just drop in a small bit of info on jump starting a bike.
It's fine to jump a bike off a car, even modern efi/ecm jobbies, but you need to do it the right way. I know everyone knows this already, but it's probably handy to post it up again.
First things first.
Never have the car running. Not ever.
Car charging systems are a LOT stronger than a bikes and you run a good chance of cooking something. Leave the car off.
Speaking of off, make sure the bike is switched off. When you are sure, then connect the positive terminals using good quality jump cables. Positive is red/+. Once you are sure of a solid connection on your +, then hook up the black/- side.
The negative or black cable is a little different to set up. Find a good chassis earth point on the bike. Swing arm pivot bolts, peg mounts, someplace like that. You want a really good solid earth point because you hook the negative lead to that, not the battery.
Wait 5 to 10 seconds then hit the starter.
Always be ready to yank the negative cable if needed. It's usually best to have two when you jump a bike, one to do the actual starting and one just to watch the leads/battery.
Doing it like this places less stress on the battery, and reduces the risk of a spark doing nasty things to your electrics. In the worst case it prevents igniting vented gas and going boom.
This is the technique I was shown and it's how we do all our jumps (about 10 a day).
Hope this helps.
nice post mate,as I've never done it from a car its good to know new things

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #13709
treborbig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Suspension from procycle

Sure its been covered.But anyone tried procycle cogent rear shock and front valves on their Dr? .Have had rear shock done by VSM before and run gold vaves in front springsetc and difference was astounding.This is on another dr setting up for adv riding 32 tank etc
treborbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #13710
marlboroughlad
sent home

Oddometer: 1,149
how fast can a bog std dr650 go?

are they undergeared for top speed or about right?
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote